New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    SUV's are for Off Road so unibodied SUV's are out. Pajero winner of the Dakar for several years. Prado also a dependable ride.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The new Pajero is unibody, actually... which gives it a somewhat better ride than the old Pajero (which is actually very good for a ladder-frame).

If you're not going off-road, the Pajero, Pilot and Veracruz are all practical choices within your budget with decent on-road ride and handling. Don't cross off the Hyundai because of previous experiences. Older Hyundais were some ten to fifteen years behind their Japanese competitors in terms of refinement and technology. The new lower end ones are from five years behind (Accent) to equal (Getz, Tucson), and the new SUVs are at par or even better (Santa Fe) than their Japanese competitors.

The X5 3.0D is a scorcher, but the older-gen ones are kinda small compared to these other SUVs (and are five-seaters, also). Casa servicing can be pocket-burning here in the Philippines, too. I'd suggest you take a good look at what your parents are willing to spend in terms of regular maintenance before you buy.

But if they can afford it, it's a swell sports car... errh... truck. I know I want one. If you plan to get one secondhand, get the latest one possible, to avoid electronics or other teething problems with the first batches.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BMW X5... :drool:

Prestige Cars (Makati City)
    9/22/2002
    XFP 635
    Peal Beige
    CPO - YES!

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    Pajero

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    thanks for the feedback guys.

well, i know what you're gonna say, why the hell are we getting an suv, but we're not gonna use it for off-roading, just for the bad manila roads and the occasional flooding.

i really, really want the x5, haha. but my dad doesn't like the idea of getting a second-hand car and he doesn't want to spend that much on a car (for a brand new). the prado is out cause it 'doesn't have enough safety features' or somethin..

how well does the pajero drive compared to the pilot? is it really much more truck-like?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the josh View Post
    Pajero

I agree mas ok na choice ang Pajero,mapa 3.8 V6 MIVEC or 3.2 DI-D CRDI version.No wonder its selling pretty well... Anyway may mga satisfied na new Pajero owners rito(is Boybi at Promdiboy)...

Pilot?just avoid that one,the build quality of that one really stinks for a Honda(the interior is so crappy) and its looks like a 1st gen CRV....Kung may 2WD version nito eh baka i-recommend ko pa to..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wooyeah View Post
    thanks for the feedback guys.

well, i know what you're gonna say, why the hell are we getting an suv, but we're not gonna use it for off-roading, just for the bad manila roads and the occasional flooding.

i really, really want the x5, haha. but my dad doesn't like the idea of getting a second-hand car and he doesn't want to spend that much on a car (for a brand new). the prado is out cause it 'doesn't have enough safety features' or somethin..

how well does the pajero drive compared to the pilot? is it really much more truck-like?
    Haha... that's why I didn't suggest the Prado... because of those you've given, it's the most rugged off-roader, and the least optimized for on-road driving.

We should clarify which Pajero we're talking about... the OLD Pajero (the 1.8m Fieldmaster) is a truck. Ladder frame, off-road optimized (but no 4x4). The NEW Pajero, the one currently being sold in your price range, is a unibody design. I've only ridden in it a few times, and it doesn't feel at all truck-like. It's a bit stiff compared to a sedan, but it's still got the supple ride the older Pajero is known for... plus a bit more, thanks to the extra stroke in the suspension. Very sporty drive, for a Japanese SUV. Very good car, at that, whether in diesel or gasoline.

I wouldn't know how it compares to the Pilot, though, as I have yet to drive one.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    oo nga prado rugged ka pa din kahit driving sa well-paved roads like Fort, NLEX hehehe

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    alright, well i convinced my dad to go check out the veracruz sometime this week. my dad is quite impressed by the engine.

also, he drove my titos pajero. its not the latest version, but the one with lots of wood in the interior and they sold in the states as the montero. my dad wasnt all too impressed with it. but we have yet to try the new one.

damn, i really like the x5. i rode in my friends 4.4i the other day.. its pretty old but it still looks great, imo. and its not much smaller than our lc. well, in terms of back seat and front seat space, i know the trunks a whole lot smaller. but my dad doesnt want to invest in something without a warranty, and hes had a bad experience with bmws in the past.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    if I have that kind of a budget today, kukunin ko din ang veracruz v6 diesel. first in the world!

pero kung medyo hindi convinced sa badge, the Pilot I believe is ok too.

or why not the Ford Explorer EB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Which mid-size suv?