New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market for a sedan and am torn between the Mazda3 1.5V Sedan and the Honda Civic 1.8E. I've tried to list down the pros (and cons) of both cars below:

Mazda3 1.5V Sedan
    - priced lower at P998K (as opposed to the Civic at P1.103M)
    - free maintenance for 3 years (or 60Tkms)
    - built-in GPS Navigation (opposed to Civic not having a GPS-ready head unit)
    - built-in backup sensors (opposed to Civic's dealer option)
    - leather trimmings on dashboard and center console
    - IMHO more refined dashboard and center console

Honda Civic 1.8E
    - bigger (wider and longer than Mazda3)
    - new model (as opposed to Mazda3 being roughly 2 years old already)
    - daytime running lights
    - smart key with remote engine and cooling system start

Which one would you guys pick? Please help! Thanks in advance!
    Go with Mazda 3 for the great driver experience. The company focused on the driver-car connection. Honda Civic for passenger and rear space.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazedonian View Post
    Go with Mazda 3 for the great driver experience. The company focused on the driver-car connection. Honda Civic for passenger and rear space.
    It's not like the Civic doesn't drive nicely. It can take corners just as quickly as the Mazda can.

The advantage of the Mazda is that it has better steering feedback and it's a smaller car so it feels more agile to drive. The 6AT is also more fun compared to the boring CVT, but the CVT is faster (not to mention the 30 hp difference between them). Between feeling fast and going slow vs going fast and feeling slow, I'd take the latter especially if I'm overtaking with a truck coming the other way.

As a driver's car, the Mazda 3 still tops the compact car class. But overall I'd still say the Civic 1.8E is a better all-rounder than the Mazda 3 1.5V. More power, more space, more features, better resale value, wider dealership network.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the feedback guys! As bro jut703 probably knows, I opted for the Civic 1.8E. Very satisfied with the car.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys! As bro jut703 probably knows, I opted for the Civic 1.8E. Very satisfied with the car.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Congrats again bro. Great to see you happy with your choice. 👍

5. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    How about Mazda 3 2.0 Sedan vs Honda Civic 1.8E (2017 models)?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by se7ven11 View Post
    How about Mazda 3 2.0 Sedan vs Honda Civic 1.8E (2017 models)?
    The Mazda3 2.0L is more expensive, around 300k more. It has a more powerful engine though compared to the Civic 1.8E. The Civic is bigger inside.

If you're willing to spend more for the Mazda 2.0L, you might as well consider the Civic RS 1.5L Turbo.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The Mazda3 2.0L is more expensive, around 300k more. It has a more powerful engine though compared to the Civic 1.8E. The Civic is bigger inside.

If you're willing to spend more for the Mazda 2.0L, you might as well consider the Civic RS 1.5L Turbo.
    Actually, the Mazda 3 2.0R is just 1.248M, or just 145k more than the Civic. It's pretty good value considering you get 25 more hp, 18" rims, leather seats, a sunroof, paddle shifters, and better handling.

Trade-off is the smaller space, inferior dealer network, less tech (no Android Auto, Apple Carplay, remote start, etc).

Both are great cars at appropriate price points.

Last edited by jut703; June 27th, 2017 at 09:50 PM.

8. Join Date
    May 2012
    In terms of longevity, which car would perform better after 10 years (assuming they are both well maintained following the prescribed method by the dealers).

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie26 View Post
    In terms of longevity, which car would perform better after 10 years (assuming they are both well maintained following the prescribed method by the dealers).
    perhaps the question should be, "which is more expensive to maintain?"

10. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    perhaps the question should be, "which is more expensive to maintain?"
    I guess short-term advantage is with Mazda due to the 3-year free maintenance. But for long-term (say 5-10 years), people usually get PMS outside casa once warranty is gone. So is it safe to assume that cost would be almost the same?

Going back to my question though, assuming both cars are well maintained (either via casa or talyer), which one would perform better after 10 years? I guess my general concern is the quality of the car (body, engine, etc.) beyond the usual ownership period of 5 years.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast