New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Was having my car serviced and decided to check out the RAV4 in the adjacent showroom. The 1.63M base model was on display. Put simply, its only advantage vs the similarly priced CRV 2.0S is that it has a bigger engine. Everything else, the CRV has the advantage.

I've driven the previous gen RAV4 with the 2.5L 2AR-FE with 180 hp. I was expecting significantly better performance vs the other 2.0L crossovers but it was really more of the same. Maybe a bit more torque in the low end but mid range was flat. Certainly did not feel like a 25 hp advantage.

Now of course this new RAV4 has a more powerful A25A-FKS engine so things might be different this time around, but I'm sure it still doesn't come close to the useable performance of a 2.0 CRDi like the CX5 diesel or the Korean crossovers.

But like I said, after the engine, the rest of the offering of this base RAV4 is quite sad for a 1.6M car:
    - no leather seats/steering/shift knob, sides
    - no HID
    - small 17" rims
    - small local HU
    - no cruise control
    - no push button ignition
    - no auto climate control

It looks very bare unlike the CX5, Forester, or CRV which have a decent amount of kit at that price range.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    More than 2M na ang official price nila ngayon sa old Forester XT, unless you’re talking about it being discounted?

Yes, as I said with the AWD, it helps with the grip especially in the rain but really in real life, just don’t drive like a maniac and FWD will be fine.

I agree with you, outright performance nothing beats the good old XT... BUT if decent performance coupled with probably the best reliability on a newer platform for a relatively reasonable price is what you’re after, the base Rav4 is my personal choice.
    The SJ platform Forester XT is offered at a 250k discount, even a bit more as Motor Image is clearing its inventory. The discounted price is now just below 1.8M.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

It looks very bare unlike the CX5, Forester, or CRV which have a decent amount of kit at that price range.

Baka talunin pa nung Tucson 2.0L (gas) FWD priced at 1.378M sa features. However, at around 1.6M, you are already looking at the Tucson 2.0L Diesel.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Wow. That base Rav4 makes our 1.6V CR-V look like a step up. No doubt a good car from Toyota but man, they're really
    pushing the limits of pricing.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Was having my car serviced and decided to check out the RAV4 in the adjacent showroom. The 1.63M base model was on display. Put simply, its only advantage vs the similarly priced CRV 2.0S is that it has a bigger engine. Everything else, the CRV has the advantage.

I've driven the previous gen RAV4 with the 2.5L 2AR-FE with 180 hp. I was expecting significantly better performance vs the other 2.0L crossovers but it was really more of the same. Maybe a bit more torque in the low end but mid range was flat. Certainly did not feel like a 25 hp advantage.

Now of course this new RAV4 has a more powerful A25A-FKS engine so things might be different this time around, but I'm sure it still doesn't come close to the useable performance of a 2.0 CRDi like the CX5 diesel or the Korean crossovers.

But like I said, after the engine, the rest of the offering of this base RAV4 is quite sad for a 1.6M car:
    - no leather seats/steering/shift knob, sides
    - no HID
    - small 17" rims
    - small local HU
    - no cruise control
    - no push button ignition
    - no auto climate control

Again, those are features which are nice and makes you feel your purchase is “sulit” but one can live without them, well maybe except the HID... but push button start? 😂

Everyone needs to look at the bigger picture. First and foremost, no CVT. Second, direct and port injection. These things may not sound exciting to those looking for “features” but these are the most important advantages of the Rav4 in my opinion.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Again, those are features which are nice and makes you feel your purchase is “sulit” but one can live without them, well maybe except the HID... but push button start? [emoji23]

Everyone needs to look at the bigger picture. First and foremost, no CVT. Second, direct and port injection. These things may not sound exciting to those looking for “features” but these are the most important advantages of the Rav4 in my opinion.
    Different strokes for different folks. Just as you say that you can live without creature comforts, I'm sure many people will say that they can live without a 2.5L 200 hp engine and will prefer a feature-packed car. Otherwise they would've gone for something basic like a Rush.

I'm willing to bet that the RAV4 won't sell well because people don't care about direction injection and will instead be dissuaded by the lack of creature comforts for the price you pay.

If you want a RAV4, noone is stopping you from buying. Just don't expect that everyone's value system is the same as yours.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Different strokes for different folks. Just as you say that you can live without creature comforts, I'm sure many people will say that they can live without a 2.5L 200 hp engine and will prefer a feature-packed car. Otherwise they would've gone for something basic like a Rush.

I'm willing to bet that the RAV4 won't sell well because people don't care about direction injection and will instead be dissuaded by the lack of creature comforts for the price you pay.

If you want a RAV4, noone is stopping you from buying. Just don't expect that everyone's value system is the same as yours.

Yes it is easy to be blinded by features nowadays, it’s how they hook customers. Impress them in the showroom... but its also important not to forget the foundation of a vehicle.

Performance of the new Rav4 seemed to have improved over the old one.
    2019 Toyota RAV4 AWD : Acceleration test in Sport's mode! ! | 0-60 Mph / 0-100 Km/h - YouTube

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Yes it is easy to be blinded by features nowadays, it’s how they hook customers. Impress them in the showroom... but its also important not to forget the foundation of a vehicle.

Performance of the new Rav4 seemed to have improved over the old one.
    2019 Toyota RAV4 AWD : Acceleration test in Sport's mode! ! | 0-60 Mph / 0-100 Km/h - YouTube
    It's not being "blinded", yun naman talaga hinahanap nila - features. Time and time again we've seen that performance or acceleration is not a key purchase factor for most car buyers.

And between a bare CRV with an efficient diesel engine vs a bare RAV 4 with a powerful gas engine, wanna bet which one will sell more?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It's not being "blinded", yun naman talaga hinahanap nila - features. Time and time again we've seen that performance or acceleration is not a key purchase factor for most car buyers.

And between a bare CRV with an efficient diesel engine vs a bare RAV 4 with a powerful gas engine, wanna bet which one will sell more?

Performance alone will not appeal to most buyers. Take the case of the FXT, it is one solid package - very good performance with decent features. However, Subaru decided to take it out from their lineup in the new Fozzie generation. On the global market, Subaru says that less than 15% of Fozzie sales are of the XT model. Most buyers will rather have decent interiors and useful infotainment systems rather than the grunt of a powerful engine.

In the case of the new Rav4, a CUV with a big 4-banger engine with dismal features with an expensive asking price is more like shooting yourself in the foot. We all know that 5-seater CUVs have low sales, couple that with Pinoys' allergic tendencies against big displacement gas engines, then price it like 7-seater PPVs - it makes you wonder what ToyotaPH is aiming to achieve with the Rav4.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2013

Yes I get what you’re saying. Performance is just part of the equation. Many will look at the features, fuel economy, safety, etc.

But let’s get back to the topic, TC is looking at gasoline base models. Among the base models rav4, cx5, CRV 2.0 or forester, in my opinion the rav4 beats them hands down. The Rav4 has the best performance, most likely will last the longest, not just because of the “toyota reliability”. If that’s not what many people are looking for, then its fine. I guess features > performance and projected reliability for most.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast