New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Hello! Both are almost the same in price. I would like to ask your opinion which one is better? Safety features, driving, fuel consumption, and power. Mainly for city drive. Thanks so much!!!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jannmunion View Post
    Hello! Both are almost the same in price. I would like to ask your opinion which one is better? Safety features, driving, fuel consumption, and power. Mainly for city drive. Thanks so much!!!

Sir jannmuion,

Depende po talaga sa usage..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by playplugg View Post
    Sir jannmuion,

Depende po talaga sa usage..
    If fuel consumption?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I suggest that you test drive both cars and also consider other options. Get the one that feels right for you. Both are gas-fed cars with around similar engine size so fuel consumption will be about the same.

If fuel consumption is such a big concern, get the VW Jetta 2.0L TDI instead. Diesel is cheaper than gasoline. The Jetta offers a good amount of power/torque (150hp/320Nm), safety features, good driving performance, and German quality.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Not meant to scare but to prep anyone thinking new diesels. If your route is short & slow, note that the DPF becomes more prone to clogging.
    Here's a pic of a clogged VW DPF

This will be an added maintenance concern. It's in a tight area that's not easy to access.

Just sharing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jannmunion View Post
    If you're so concerned with fuel consumption, Egan's suggestion of the VW Jetta is a solid choice. It will easily beat both the Civic and Mazda 3 when it comes to efficiency.

The Civic/Mazda 3 does 8 km/L in city driving, while the VW will probably do 9 km/L. Coupled with the cheaper cost of diesel, you will save close to P2,000 a month for fuel.

However, I'm sure you're on the fence with the Jetta just because it's a VW. Being a diesel and being a German car, PMS will definitely be higher than the Civic and moreso the Mazda (free maintenance for 3 yrs), but remember that it has a 15,000 km maintenance interval so you have fewer visits.

Net, maintenance cost shouldn't be a deal breaker and in the long run you will still save on running costs due to the cheaper fuel.

A bigger concern would be long-term parts availability. While personally I don't think premature DPF failure is a big issue in itself, there is still a general difficulty in finding parts for low volume cars. In this aspect, the Jetta is at a disadvantage to the Mazda and Civic. And even between the 3 and Civic, parts are still easier to find for the car that sells more, in this case the Civic.

I have a 13 year old Mazda 3 and parts are a hassle to find compared to my Altis before, not to mention more expensive. Worse, shops in Banawe that you thought were respectable were actually selling fake parts! (I'm looking at you, Mazford!)

I was also considering the Jetta before but went with the Civic simply because it's a simpler car to own for long-term use and because the high tech interior and eyecatching exterior really called to me. If you're willing to take the risk with a VW, you will be rewarded with great efficiency and power, good handling, lots of features, and German engineering all for a very fair price.

Now if you really don't wanna get the Jetta, let's go back to your initial question - Civic 1.8E or Mazda 3 2.0R?

Short answer - both are great cars and you can't go wrong with either, so pick which car calls to you more.

The Civic is 110k cheaper (1.138M vs. 1.250M) and has significantly more interior space than the Mazda 3.

The Mazda is renowned for its handling, but in reality both cars drive really well. The Mazda 3 feels more agile (it's a smaller car) but the Civic can corner just as quickly. Trust me, the Civic can go toe to toe with the Mazda 3 even on a racetrack based on firsthand experience. 😉

The Mazda has more outright power, but again the Civic is no slouch. The Mazda's transmission is more responsive and fun especially with the paddle shifters, but the Civic's transmission is smoother and is always in the powerband because of the CVT.

The Civic has a more comfortable ride and better insulation. In terms of toys, the Mazda offers a sunroof, leather seats, and 18" rims as standard so you can arguably justify the price difference on that alone. The Civic has its own set of nifty toys though - notably remote start and Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

That said, both cars are already pretty loaded with LED/HID headlamps, push button ignition, traction control, and so on.

If history is any indication, the Civic will most likely have better resale value than the Mazda 3. As said above, parts availability will also be easier in the long run.

Ultimately, it will still really depend on what calls out to you more. Everyone has a different set of priorities and wants.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Get the Honda Civic 1.8E ... it's more comfortable as a daily driver ... more practical ... Mazda 3 gets all the attention from car reviewers but the Honda Civic gets all the attention at the sales charts ... simply put no matter how well the Mazda 3 drives, it's not as practical and comfortable as the Honda Civic ... one does not drive spiritedly all day everyday ...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    From an annual maintenance cost perspective, Honda and VW are about the same. Honda follows a 6-month/10k KM PMS cycle while VW follows a 12-month/15k KM PMS cycle. Our family owns a Honda Civic RS and a VW Jetta 1.6L TDI. We spent around 10k+ each for the first 12 months of maintenance of both cars.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    one does not drive spiritedly all day everyday ...
    🙋

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; November 17th, 2017 at 02:12 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Yojin3 may not be a factor to anyone, but it sure is a good psychological bonus. Some offer 2 more years.😊
    Go in & out the dealership unscathed...that's at least twice a year of totally free PMS for the next 3-5👌

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast