New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    dudes, i heard somewhere na di daw ganun kalakas ang hatak/torque pag lpg; hirap daw sa uphill climbs. is there truth to this or urban legend lang?
    FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]naku whag ka mapaniwala sa mga kwento kutchero... ako personally naka lpg noh humahataw pa rin kahit sa uphill climbs... infact pinapalipad ko pa nga sasakyan ko dahil palagi late at nagmamadali sa pag punta sa work...

mga taxi na nagpakabit ng lpg palagi reclamo mahina ang hatak eh papano ba naman sinasakal nila iyun daloy ng gas papunta sa makina... okay... ...
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    badkuk: nadiscuss na po sa kabilang LPG thread po.
    [SIZE="3"]oo nga naman tsong, may thread na para dyan eh...[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Diesel na lang ako. I think masvolatile ang LPG, and considering na modification has to be done sa kotse (lowering resale value), I think it's not worth it unless sobrang beater siya like what taxis do. Plus, it's much safer to have a diesel factory vehicle than a converted LPG.

Diesel also has alternative fuels like biodiesel, veggie oil, etc.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Diesel na lang ako. I think masvolatile ang LPG, and considering na modification has to be done sa kotse (lowering resale value), I think it's not worth it unless sobrang beater siya like what taxis do. Plus, it's much safer to have a diesel factory vehicle than a converted LPG.

Diesel also has alternative fuels like biodiesel, veggie oil, etc.
    The more cars converting to LPG, more competition with households for cooking gas. As we all know, LPG price goes up whenever oil prices increase in the global market. More competition for a diminishing supply, higher cost.

Sa Biodiesel, less ang cost and hassle (walang conversions needed). Biodiesel is becoming popular and it won't be long na bababa ang cost ng Biodiesel. Big chance na mas mababa kesa sa level ng LPG. Less cost and hassle, environment friendly kasi renewable ang biodiesel, and you will directly contribute to the local economy (agriculture).

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Ran some figures:
    Assume AUV consumes around 10 lkm/liter city, price of diesel 37
    37 / 10 = 3.7 pesos per kilometer

Actual consumption of my cars 5 km/liter city, cost of lpg 25
    25 / 5 = 5 pesos per kilometer

5 - 3.7 = 1.3 so diesel is still cheaper bec it is more efficient.

However, things start to get muddled when you take into consideration the cost of the lpg kit and the amount of money I will have to add after selling my car to get an AUV in good condition. Then there is also comfort, speed, maintenance and a lot of other factors. Ang gulo can't decide.

If we just forget about the additional cost, lets say they equal out, is it worth getting a diesel if savings is only around 13,000 (10,000km a year * 1.3) a year?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you have to include the maintenance cost of diesel engines and gasoline engines in a year. How much is a typical tune up and how often.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Ran some figures:
    Assume AUV consumes around 10 lkm/liter city, price of diesel 37
    37 / 10 = 3.7 pesos per kilometer

Actual consumption of my cars 5 km/liter city, cost of lpg 25
    25 / 5 = 5 pesos per kilometer

5 - 3.7 = 1.3 so diesel is still cheaper bec it is more efficient.

However, things start to get muddled when you take into consideration the cost of the lpg kit and the amount of money I will have to add after selling my car to get an AUV in good condition. Then there is also comfort, speed, maintenance and a lot of other factors. Ang gulo can't decide.

If we just forget about the additional cost, lets say they equal out, is it worth getting a diesel if savings is only around 13,000 (10,000km a year * 1.3) a year?

Also take into consideration that once converted to LPG ,fuel consumption will tend to increase.

For example , if you are running at 7 Km./Liter using Gasoline , once converted to LPG it will decrease to something like 4-5 km/liter.

The savings will then be manifested on the cost of fuel spent per kilometer.

Saving seems to be minimal since the lower cost of LPG was offset by the sudden increase in consumption.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Right. Forgot about that. So basing on Topgun's experience where he lost about 15%, I should be getting 4.25 km/liter.
    So 25 / 4.25 = 5.88 pesos per liter - 3.7 pesos cost / km for diesel = 2.18 * 10000 kms = 21,800 pesos savings a year for diesel compared to lpg. So diesel is starting to look better.

I guess I have to try driving some crosswinds and adventures to find out if I will be happy with its performance. Last diesel car that I drove a lot was a 1968 benz, 200D. Its was old, slow, noisy, heavy, no power steering, broken 2nd gear, held together with welding and rust but built like a tank. It even had a glow plug that you had to pull a knob and wait to light up before starting. Old school! That thing was a beast to push start! I'm sure newer diesel rides will be a lot better.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, even the ancient diesel in the Crosswind doesn't have a glowplug anymore... it's always "stick-the-key-in-and-turn-it-and-it-starts-right-away" (I'm like a broken record on this... it's one of the few things I love about the vehicle). Modern diesels are a long way from the glowplug-equipped clunkers of the 60's and 70's.

Coming from a Cefiro or Venture, the AUVs will seem very crude, slow, rough-riding and noisy, but they're utterly reliable and dependable. In fact, we're having a hard time deciding whether to trade in the Crosswind for an SUV right now... we'd rather have the SUV, but the Crosswind is so useful.

And durable. While there are endless horror stories about the exhaust on the Crosswind, the engine is indestructible. It's got no timing belt or chain (gear driven cams), no fancy injectors (like modern CRDis) and it's a very thick iron block.

We have three in the family/company. And while we've been through a lot of busted diesel van engines, even the oldest Highlander is still awaiting its first overhaul.

And thus, secondhand prices are pretty high. That's the only drawback to looking for one.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Agree ako kay Niky dito hehe

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Coming from a Cefiro or Venture, the AUVs will seem very crude, slow, rough-riding and noisy, but they're utterly reliable and dependable.
    Agreed! Test drove my brother in law's AT Crosswind and I agree 100% with the above statement. Feels like I'm driving a truck. May free massage pa! (sa ride ng crosswind hindi galing sa in law ko ha!) Is this typical of diesel AUV's? Not really sure that this is a car that I would like to drive or ride in daily. But as mentioned earlier its running costs can't be beat. No decision yet still looking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
lpg vs diesel