New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Help me decide which is the better choice. I have 2 gas guzzlers, cefiro v6 and chevy venture also a v6. Sobrang lakas sa gas pag city driving. My choices are to convert one to lpg or sell one and buy a 2nd hand diesel auv. 1st choice crosswind 2nd choice adventure.

Both cars are driven approx 10,000 kms a year, 40% highway 60% city. Malimit ako sa highway kaya v6 yung mga auto.

Pros ng lpg conversion: same car (comfortable and spacious), same power, cheap fuel 25.18 per liter, enviormently friendly, kits are transferable should I decide to change cars in the future although has to be a v6 again.

Cons ng conversion: cost, will take 1 to 2 years to recoup cost depending on kit used.

Pros of AUV: frugality of diesel, 7 pesos cheaper than unleaded, better milage, cheaper cost per km compared to lpg since you get more km per liter, reliability (tibay ng crosswind and andventure).

Cons ng diesel: Noise, ride (giving up comfort), slow acceleration (i'm used to a v6 but not that big a factor since I'm trying to save), looks (don't like how they look but not a big deal), low resale value of my current cars, mausok common sa diesel at walang magagawa, will have to spend on maintenance after buying (change fluids etc. cause I won't know how they were treated by the previous owner)

What do you think? And thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One more CON for getting LPG. The LPG tank will eat up space in the back.

If it's really more for utility than personal transport, get a diesel instead of converting to LPG.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A secondhand Crosswind shouldn't give you much trouble. The only potential trouble spots are the power steering hoses, the radiator and the exhaust. The radiator problem isn't a common one, and the exhaust is cheap to fix. There are three Crosswinds in our family, and even the oldest (a Highlander XTRM... old box-type body) is still in good running condition. Of course, it's not that great to drive or ride, but it gets the job done.

Am not familiar with secondhand Adventure quality, will let the others chime in.

I'd sell the Venture, since you're replacing it with another big vehicle, and the Nissan is easier to maintain (if not much cheaper). You're going to have to put up some cash, though, besides what you get from the sale, to afford a nice Crosswind, Adventure or Revo.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a Toyota Innova diesel would be a nice replacement for the Chevy Venture.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Automobile performance dips in a country such as ours where going 80kph is a luxury isn't too big a deal. Tartarini, an Italian manufacturer offers a conversion for 25k which allows you to switch back to gasoline ANYTIME, even on the fly. Technically you become BI-FUEL. It also has a gauge, whereas the others do not.

I have 3 petrol powered vehicles and my Mercedes W124 200 will be the first to undergo conversion. I travel 100km daily in Metro Manila, with today's pump prices my Php2500-3000 weekly fuel bills shall be cut in half. In 20 weeks I shall have recovered the cost of conversion. Heck, if it's really good then a 500k '98-99 Expedition is starting to look good! These guys specialize in European and American V6s/V8s - carbureted or injected petrol systems

The only drawback is, the other Autogas stations are still in the works. There's only a few stations that sell LPG-- Mandaluyong, Makati and somewhere near NAIA.

I specifically hailed a taxicab on Sunday with the LPG power decal, so that I could study the logistics, etc. I did not notice a change in power. It's very simple, and if you're not happy with it you can just revert to your old fuel system. But to me millions of Europeans and Koreans couldn't be wrong.

I had an Optra for a demo car yesterday and there was no change in power. LPG actually works better with EFI, but it's costlier, say, 40k...I kept going from LPG to petrol just for the fun of it! No LPG smell, no smoke to boot! You have a choice of getting the big tank which eats 20% trunk space or the spare wheel well tank-- then just get that flat tire fix in a can!

The fuel seals are excellent and in the event of a collision an automatic shut off engages. Let me have it installed, and then I'll let everybody know.
    Last edited by 1979; August 22nd, 2006 at 07:51 PM. Reason: grammar

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hi 1979,

Where did you order your lpg kit? I belive I read in another thread that you imported it, is this correct? I'll await your updates and hopefully you can share a review on your kit after it has been installed.

a Toyota Innova diesel would be a nice replacement for the Chevy Venture.
    I'm not really a fan of Toyota diesels, had bad experiences with the old FX and read too many negative feedbacks with the D4D.

I'd sell the Venture, since you're replacing it with another big vehicle, and the Nissan is easier to maintain (if not much cheaper). You're going to have to put up some cash, though, besides what you get from the sale, to afford a nice Crosswind, Adventure or Revo.
    This is one of the options I'm considering. Although the Nissan has been giving me problems lately. The Chevy has been reliable (knock on wood). Can you guys give me a ball park figure on how much I can get for my cars and how much 2nd hand AUV's go for?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    dudes, i heard somewhere na di daw ganun kalakas ang hatak/torque pag lpg; hirap daw sa uphill climbs. is there truth to this or urban legend lang?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    badkuk: nadiscuss na po sa kabilang LPG thread po.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    dudes, i heard somewhere na di daw ganun kalakas ang hatak/torque pag lpg; hirap daw sa uphill climbs. is there truth to this or urban legend lang?
    There is less power but uphill climbs aren't affected. I still can go up the mall parking ramps (Robinson's Galleria, SM megamall, SM Mall of Asia, Greenhills, Glorietta, etc) without stressing the engine.

If the engine badly lacks power going uphills using LPG, it just might be a sign that the LPG kit is in need of a re-tuning.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sori boss theveed :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
lpg vs diesel