New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    and don't buy a mitsu in the states, their dealer and after service sucks that's why nalulugi sila sa states.
    Yep, mas mababa ang brand equity ng Mitsu sa US compared sa Pinas. Pati Suzuki, second rate status din.

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Speaking of Mitsubishi in the US... Heres a review of the 2010 Galant.

Introduction

There are a lot of midsize family sedans out there. If we were to count them using our fingers and toes, it wouldn't be until the pinkie on our left foot that we finally came to the 2010 Mitsubishi Galant. Forgotten since almost the moment it was redesigned six years ago, this sedan isn't a diamond in the rough that's fallen victim to a poor marketing campaign or a lack of name recognition. With uninspired styling, subpar cabin construction, a lack of certain features and now only a single (underpowered) engine choice, the Galant has been and remains a choice best left to a rental lot.

For 2010, the Galant lineup has been pared to a pair of trim levels and a four-cylinder engine. Gone are the two V6 engine choices, as well as the sporty Ralliart trim. This makes sense given the fact that four-cylinder models are always the volume sellers, but with only 160 horsepower and a four-speed automatic, the remaining powertrain isn't exactly a strong remaining leg to stand on. Most competitors now produce 175 hp or more and feature five- or six-speed automatics. They also return the same or better fuel economy -- and that's with the Galant's improved EPA mileage estimates for 2010.

The Galant has been pinged in the past for a lack of features commonly found on competitors, but this has been mostly corrected for 2010. Newly added items like standard stability control and an auxiliary audio jack are welcome, while the reasonably priced SE trim now includes such items as a navigation system, back-up camera, satellite radio and upgraded stereo. Sadly, a telescoping steering column still eludes the Galant and every Mitsubishi. Also, the interior most of those features inhabit is a display of disappointing materials and a relic of dated design.

While the 2010 Mitsubishi Galant is certainly a bargain in SE trim, any number of four-cylinder-powered midsize competitors would ultimately be a better, more rewarding choice. The first five we'll count up on our right hand would be the Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 6 and Suzuki Kizashi. Mitsubishi makes some interesting cars; this forgotten sedan isn't one of them.

Edmunds.com - 2010 Mitsubishi Galant Review
    This alone is not a worthy reason to get a Mitsu in the US. Although the Outlander Sport is a decent choice. Medyo check out other vehicles out there.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *umi001 - honda has civic, cr-z and insight for hybrids and all 3 are under $30k. SUV hybrids medyo mahal talaga but personally i like the cr-z, very fun little car. for ford naman forget the escape and get the ford edge much better than the escape but it's a couple thousand more. also look at the nissan/infiniti line up they offer great cars and their service is much better compared to honda,toyota and hyundai. if i was your sister i'd get a car that we don't have here in the philippines. and yes dealers give big discounts for cash and loans, i remember when i bought my car there the sales agent directly asked me what he needed to do and how much does he need to sell it to me just so i walk out with the car i want on that day, after that i ended up buying the car i want for msrp price.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    *umi001 - honda has civic, cr-z and insight for hybrids and all 3 are under $30k. SUV hybrids medyo mahal talaga but personally i like the cr-z, very fun little car. for ford naman forget the escape and get the ford edge much better than the escape but it's a couple thousand more. also look at the nissan/infiniti line up they offer great cars and their service is much better compared to honda,toyota and hyundai. if i was your sister i'd get a car that we don't have here in the philippines. and yes dealers give big discounts for cash and loans, i remember when i bought my car there the sales agent directly asked me what he needed to do and how much does he need to sell it to me just so i walk out with the car i want on that day, after that i ended up buying the car i want for msrp price.
    Tama!! Buy something that isn't available in the Philippines. Para magkaron ng variety.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    ^ yes, it is nice if she can use a car that is not found here just so maiba naman. Afterall, maintenance and parts in the US esp for a bnew car is easy vs here.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Easier to get parts... but cheap at the dealership? Hell no.

-

If you want to convince her to get a hybrid, go for the Prius. Honda's CVT-equipped hybrids don't have a stellar reputation secondhand, due to issues with the CVTs and battery packs. Best bet is to get a manual transmission one, but I don't think that's what she wants.

The Prius, apart from the odd electronic niggle (covered by warranty), is one of the most durable and sought-after secondhand cars on the market. The battery packs are guaranteed for eight years, but they've been proven to last longer than that, and those I know who deal in secondhands have nothing but praise for the Prius.

The Prius requires less brake pad changes than any other car. It requires fewer maintenance stops (since the engine isn't always on). It is good on gas and has a very good range, especially if she takes it easy on the highway. Interior space is immense and the trunk on the 3rd gen will satisfy her need for crossover-type space. And while it may cost more up-front than your regular car, the price premium in the US isn't as bad as here... her budget will definitely get her into a new one. (just don't go nuts on the options)

The bad points? The interior plastics are not that great, and the gimmicky center console feels flimsy. Cornering grip is not that good, either, but your sister probably isn't Michelle Baumgartner (or Danica Patrick) so she won't mind. At least the car is stable, neutrally balanced and comes with stability control. If she wants it more sure-footed, there's the 17" option wheels and tires... but that will cost extra.

-

Yes, it's expensive for a small car... but thanks to the update, the Prius is more of a tweener now than a compact, and legroom and elbow room are at par with your common CR-V or RAV4 crossover. And the resale value, especially in these gas-strapped times, is incredible. Heck, she might even want to bring it back home when she's done.

-

Another practical choice would be a secondhand Prius or compact car, but prices of secondhand economical cars are on the rise in the US, so bargains may be hard to come by.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    reliability - crv and rav4 are safe bets. also, if your sister is not familiar with cars, she can get AAA membership for around $50 a year that covers basic towing, trip guides and deals, and tons of discounts. family and i have this all the time.

fuel economy - i think all your listed options are pretty good mpg for suv. im not sure if this is a factor is she mostly will do short drives.

resale - why not get a 08 or later used or certified used unit instead and let someone else pay for depreciation? forester, crv, and rav4 again are sure bets here. or she can consider hybrid since gas price seems to stay high (so are hybrid values i observed).

also, i strongly advise her to start trying out cars at carmax. it is a used car dealer with all makes and models. sales people are by salary so there are no sales pressure at all. ive been there tons of times to try out different rides.

if she happens to be in socal and also open to small cars (im hunting for one right now), i may be able to assist her is she like.

Quote Originally Posted by umi001 View Post
    • Reliability - My sister does not know anything about vehicle maintenance, therefore it is absolutely imperative that the car be one which is reliable and well-behaved - she would not know what to do if the car got a flat tire, let alone engine or mechanical problems. (As an aside, she does plan to learn more about vehicle care while over there, understanding that she won't have family to turn to in case something happens.)
    • Fuel Economy - Ok, an SUV isn't the best choice for fuel economy, but that being said, I'm sure some are more fuel efficient than others?
    • Resale Value - Since she's only going to be there for three years (barring finding position at a US hospital), she will most likely be selling the SUV when her residency is up - so a vehicle which maintains it's value over that time period would certainly be a plus.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MXFX View Post
    or she can consider hybrid since gas price seems to stay high (so are hybrid values i observed).
    Some authorities actually suggest not to buy secondhand hybrids and small cars, because the premium nowadays, thanks to expensive gas, is huge.

But that's part and parcel of the deal... I think it's just market correction. In the Philippines, the resale value of small gasoline cars has always been much better than bigger gasoline cars.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    im on the hunt for another small car i just missed 2 deals (scion xa and a g20) and another one today (scion xb pending already when i call for an appointment).

almost forgot, how about considering the toaster (scion xb) or the washing machine (nissan cube)? both are efficient, roomy, and suv-like.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The first gen xB with the 1.5 is definitely worth looking at.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Looking for Compact SUV - US Version