New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hi guys!

I'm considering to buy a second hand starex 99 to 01 model or a local spacegear diesel 98 to 00 model.

As I had observed in this site, the starex won many praises both in reliability and styling, it has many options than the spacegear especially in exterior and interior appointments.

for me I really like the starex but the space gear still prevents me in purchasing a resonably priced but good condition 01' starex TDIC. I also noticed that a ggod condition local spacegear (which is always in color 2 tone green and black) was much harder to find than the more popular starex, I just end up seeing surplus units from japan which I avoid because of the RHD doors.

Well guys what do you think? I just saw resonably condition local 98' spacegear for 350k, do you think it is ok for it's price? while the 01' starex for 480k.

I'm tempted because of the lower pricing of the spacegear, do you think a local spacegear is good?

Tnx! god speed!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Starex sucks big time(korean made) A friend of mine in manila had a starex turbo diesel he had a problem on the way to baguio, When he was at pampanga he felt that their was no power(torque) and when he pulled over and checked the engine their was smoke all over the place.They found out that they had 2 pistons rod broken(they rebuilt the engine).AFIK starex are known for overheating.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd go with the '01 Starex over the Space Gear almost any day... more space, more power and more features... and your shifter is floor mounted. Parts are easily available and easy to repair. Reliability of the Starex, especially the 2000 and up models are much better and a lot depends on how the previous owner maintained it. ;)

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Why starex have fire extinguisher from the factory?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m
    why not?

yes, it may use valuable storage space, but, when you'll need it, you'll be glad to have one.....

under the seat or side naman, ata,e...

for me, ok naman ung converted spacegears and i'll choose a good quality converted delica spacegear super-select4wd super/royal exceed...4m40, reliability, or the power of 3.0v6 over the old starex...and the more bland local spacegear.pwede pang swapan ng 4m41 or ung 3.5 MIVEC-V6 ng pajero-evo!

but......kung budget ko for a brand-new, indent ako ng starex 4wd club, manual/matic....145ps ang CRDi 2.5L,same or more power than the 4m40, at masmatipid pa!
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; August 7th, 2006 at 05:36 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Starex

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I think all cars should come standard with fire extinguishers, not necessarily for use on the engine. Heck, I wish mine came with one.

That's like asking why cars have seatbelts or why most cars carry a spare tire; it's simply better to be prepared, even if you claim to be the world's most careful driver.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 7th, 2006 at 05:42 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i dont think they are any different but im leaning towards the Starex due to its number out on the road. also cheaper and more features.

just a tip: get the better unit you'll see out there.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I wonder where we can get Fire Extinguisher for SantaFe? ang liit ng size eh. May lalagyan sya pero walang kasama.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
local spacegear or starex???