New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=GTi;2848626]
    Quote Originally Posted by monmendoza View Post

Ah, dalawa pala yung engine options niya. Yung nakita ko sa website last time yung 2.5L "Toyota technology" engine, with similar power output to the 2KD. I wonder saan kaya galing tong 2.8L "Euro tech" engine na to. The 2.8L Cummins ISF used by Foton makes similar power though. Pareho kaya?

Kung engine/transmission lang nagkaiba, I suppose pang ilalim pareho parin, so you would be able to use most Hiace underchassis components.

Speedlab claims that they can install the Unichip on any car that has a computer box both diesel and gas. Power gains are very good for turbocharged engines, even more so if intercooled. They may not have encountered that particular engine before though, so baka medyo matatagalan ang install. That was the case with our 2010 Carnival, buong hapon ginawa, samantala ang 2007 Santa Fe namin mga 2 hours lang. Chat mo muna sila sa Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    I will try the regear route first by checking if the 4.556 Ring & Pinion gears of a Joylong is the same as that of a hilux. I have a spare 5.29 R&P gears for a hilux. Its the usual route that 4x4 enthusiasts like me do when they increase their tire size. This will give me torque increase of 16%, of course at the expense of a lower top speed.The current top speed of my joylong before it hits the redline is 140kph. I don't mind if the top speed drops to less than 120kph as I don't want to travel higher than 110kph even in NLEX. If the R&P are not compatible , then I will consider the Unichip route.

Btw when I brought the Joylong to Mount Pulag, di siya maka-akyat pag fully loaded siya at napahinto ka sa daan kunyari merong truck na nakaharang. Kailangan bumababa ang mga pasahero and maglalakad. hahahahahaha . So we have to rent a jeep and doon pinasakay ang mga pasahero. Kaya naman niyang umakyat kung walang pasahero. If it is any consolation, when we arrived in Ranger station, I interviewed some toyota Hi ace drivers there and they said, ang nakaka-akyat lang daw na vans sa Mount Pulag na full pack are the Toyota Grandias and the Nissan Urvans. Hinde daw maka-akyat ang mga Joylongs and Foton Travelers. I think its because of the gearing.

Also in flat roads, wala akong reklamo sa Joylong, even at full load of 19people its very stable even when travelling at top speeds of 140kph.

GTi can you give me an approximate cost that you spent to install unichip on your vehicle? Maraming salamat.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=monmendoza;2848645]
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post

I will try the regear route first by checking if the 4.556 Ring & Pinion gears of a Joylong is the same as that of a hilux. I have a spare 5.29 R&P gears for a hilux. Its the usual route that 4x4 enthusiasts like me do when they increase their tire size. This will give me torque increase of 16%, of course at the expense of a lower top speed.The current top speed of my joylong before it hits the redline is 140kph. I don't mind if the top speed drops to less than 120kph as I don't want to travel higher than 110kph even in NLEX. If the R&P are not compatible , then I will consider the Unichip route.

Btw when I brought the Joylong to Mount Pulag, di siya maka-akyat pag fully loaded siya at napahinto ka sa daan kunyari merong truck na nakaharang. Kailangan bumababa ang mga pasahero and maglalakad. hahahahahaha . So we have to rent a jeep and doon pinasakay ang mga pasahero. Kaya naman niyang umakyat kung walang pasahero. If it is any consolation, when we arrived in Ranger station, I interviewed some toyota Hi ace drivers there and they said, ang nakaka-akyat lang daw na vans sa Mount Pulag na full pack are the Toyota Grandias and the Nissan Urvans. Hinde daw maka-akyat ang mga Joylongs and Foton Travelers. I think its because of the gearing.

Also in flat roads, wala akong reklamo sa Joylong, even at full load of 19people its very stable even when travelling at top speeds of 140kph.

GTi can you give me an approximate cost that you spent to install unichip on your vehicle? Maraming salamat.
    Sa bigat na rin siguro ng payload. The Foton Traveller is significantly more powerful than a 2.5 Hiace, I wonder how heavy its payload was if it wasn't able to climb. Never been to Pulag. How steep is it compared to Kennon Road?

Joylong PH website claims 150hp and 360Nm for the 2.8L engine. Those are pretty decent numbers. Wonder how far off it is in real life when hooked to a dyno. Perhaps grippier tires can help? I got my Unichip installed for 30k at Speedlab. Includes everything from the Unichip itself to installation and dyno tuning. Our 2010 Carnival 2.9 had an improvement of 28whp and 63lbft of torque (145whp to 173whp and 222lbft to 285lbft) after tuning. In our 2007 Santa Fe VGT, there was something wrong with its tuning so that it had abnormally low power output. Unichip install was able to solve the abnormalities and achieve the same level of improvement as a normal Santa Fe. Result was an improvement of 50whp and 111lbft of torque (95whp to 145whp and 155lbft to 266lbft).

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=GTi;2848653]

Sa bigat na rin siguro ng payload. The Foton Traveller is significantly more powerful than a 2.5 Hiace, I wonder how heavy its payload was if it wasn't able to climb. Never been to Pulag. How steep is it compared to Kennon Road?

Joylong PH website claims 150hp and 360Nm for the 2.8L engine. Those are pretty decent numbers. Wonder how far off it is in real life when hooked to a dyno. Perhaps grippier tires can help? I got my Unichip installed for 30k at Speedlab. Includes everything from the Unichip itself to installation and dyno tuning. Our 2010 Carnival 2.9 had an improvement of 28whp and 63lbft of torque (145whp to 173whp and 222lbft to 285lbft) after tuning. In our 2007 Santa Fe VGT, there was something wrong with its tuning so that it had abnormally low power output. Unichip install was able to solve the abnormalities and achieve the same level of improvement as a normal Santa Fe. Result was an improvement of 50whp and 111lbft of torque (95whp to 145whp and 155lbft to 266lbft).

Thank you GTI, at least I have an idea and will definitely consider it an option if my plan to regear doesn't work due to incompatibility issues.

Mount Pulag is definitely steeper, but the worst part is many portions of the road although all cemented are one lane only, so you have to stop to give way when there is an incoming vehicle, which is when the problem of a full pack vehicle becomes a major issue. Maybe it is also because my clutch assembly was already marginal when we went up to Mount Pulag. Or it is also highly possible that the first gear ratio of a Grandia is geared for low speed and the Joylong or Foton first gears are not.

In Boracay (Kalibo Caticlan Route) and in Bohol , A big proportion of the tourist vans are Joylong rather than a Toyota Grandia. Mainly I think because of more passenger capacity. It is there where I actually first saw a Joylong. But again, there are no steep roads going to Boracay. Maybe thats the reason why Grandias still reign supreme among tourist vans in Luzon, because many tourist spots here are in the boondocks and I have personal experience with my Joylong not able to climb satisfactorily steep inclines.

As I said in my previous post, I don't have a problem with my Joylong even when full pack with 18 passengers, a driver and their cargoes when driving in flat roads. It is in the boondocks where I did encounter a problem.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=monmendoza;2848658]

Thank you GTI, at least I have an idea and will definitely consider it an option if my plan to regear doesn't work due to incompatibility issues.

Mount Pulag is definitely steeper, but the worst part is many portions of the road although all cemented are one lane only, so you have to stop to give way when there is an incoming vehicle, which is when the problem of a full pack vehicle becomes a major issue. Maybe it is also because my clutch assembly was already marginal when we went up to Mount Pulag. Or it is also highly possible that the first gear ratio of a Grandia is geared for low speed and the Joylong or Foton first gears are not.

In Boracay (Kalibo Caticlan Route) and in Bohol , A big proportion of the tourist vans are Joylong rather than a Toyota Grandia. Mainly I think because of more passenger capacity. It is there where I actually first saw a Joylong. But again, there are no steep roads going to Boracay. Maybe thats the reason why Grandias still reign supreme among tourist vans in Luzon, because many tourist spots here are in the boondocks and I have personal experience with my Joylong not able to climb satisfactorily steep inclines.

As I said in my previous post, I don't have a problem with my Joylong even when full pack with 18 passengers, a driver and their cargoes when driving in flat roads. It is in the boondocks where I did encounter a problem.
    I wonder how steep Pulag is if such kind of van is unable to get there. Makes me want to go! 😆

I've seen some fully loaded Chinese UV Express vans going up Kennon Road before. These were the older Hiace clones, that had the Isuzu engines and I was surprised at how fast they were going! At the time I was driving a Revo diesel with only around half the payload they were carrying, and I could barely keep up with them.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=GTi;2848744]

I wonder how steep Pulag is if such kind of van is unable to get there. Makes me want to go! ��

I've seen some fully loaded Chinese UV Express vans going up Kennon Road before. These were the older Hiace clones, that had the Isuzu engines and I was surprised at how fast they were going! At the time I was driving a Revo diesel with only around half the payload they were carrying, and I could barely keep up with them.

Subukan mo GTi. Ang lamig doon. Its impossible to stay out at night even when you have 3 sets of clothes. It does not matter if it is december or summer. And during January to February you will experience frost in the early morning. Icicles in the vegetables are everywhere.

You do not need to climb Mount Pulag to enjoy the very cold weather of Mount Pulag National Park. You can just sleep in the ranger station. There are many homestays there and almost all charges only P250 per night. If you just want to do muni-muni and enjoy the weather, you can stay in Baban's Homestay which is about 3kms before the ranger station. The homestay is surrounded by vegetable farms all around . You can even buy from them Carrots at P10/kg and lettuce at P15/kg. They also serve breakfast, lunch and dinner for P80 per person per meal.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=monmendoza;2848880]

Subukan mo GTi. Ang lamig doon. Its impossible to stay out at night even when you have 3 sets of clothes. It does not matter if it is december or summer. And during January to February you will experience frost in the early morning. Icicles in the vegetables are everywhere.

You do not need to climb Mount Pulag to enjoy the very cold weather of Mount Pulag National Park. You can just sleep in the ranger station. There are many homestays there and almost all charges only P250 per night. If you just want to do muni-muni and enjoy the weather, you can stay in Baban's Homestay which is about 3kms before the ranger station. The homestay is surrounded by vegetable farms all around . You can even buy from them Carrots at P10/kg and lettuce at P15/kg. They also serve breakfast, lunch and dinner for P80 per person per meal.
    Ang mura! Hiking lang ba ang attraction sa Pulag? Is the place conducive to senior citizens?

BTT: How's your regearing plan doing?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=GTi;2848887]
    Ang mura! Hiking lang ba ang attraction sa Pulag? Is the place conducive to senior citizens?

BTT: How's your regearing plan doing?

Typical of many tourist spots in the Cordillera region, it is not senior citizen friendly.
    Many people who to to Pulag go there to conquer the summit which is 2,900+ MASL. Depending
    on who you talked to it is either the second highest mountain peak next to Mount APO in Davao
    or the third highest mountain peak.

Personally I have been to Mount Pulag National Park 5 times, but i have never conquered the peak.
    the 8km walk to the peak is uber tiring, and I can't seem to convince myself to go on. Its not in my
    bucket list anyway.

But I do enjoy the cold weather in the vicinity of the ranger station. The ranger station is at 2,400+ MASL.
    That means it is 1000 meters higher than baguio.

I have scheduled my regear on Friday. I hope it is compatible.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Update: We decided to open the 3rd member of the joylong and confirmed that the turns ratio is indeed 4.5556( 41:9). We also confirmed that the Joylong 3rd member is the same as a Toyota Hilux. We replaced the original R&P (4.5556) ratio with a lower speed gear ratio 5.29 ( 37:7) . The increase in torque is indeed noticeable. I havent tried driving it fast in NLEX or SCETEX to check what is the new top speed before it hits the redline. but the 16% torque increase at the expense of top speed will make it easier for my joylong to climb mount pulag.

please note: that professional help is needed to set the R&P gears, as backlash and torque has to be factory specs. In our case a 4x4 shop who regularly replace R&P gears did the job for us.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2019
    [QUOTE=monmendoza;2848645]

What if you replace the joy long engine with a grandia engine? Is it possible na isalpak na lang yung bagong engine... Yung para ka lang nagpalit ng bombilya sa kisame? Just to have the benefit of joylong body...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=Cabu Jambo;3114014]

What if you replace the joy long engine with a grandia engine? Is it possible na isalpak na lang yung bagong engine... Yung para ka lang nagpalit ng bombilya sa kisame? Just to have the benefit of joylong body...
    Mukhang licensed copy naman to. Should be a plug and play. Kahit ang mga Expedition nga nalalagyan ng Japanese diesels eto pa kaya.

Yun nga lang magkano kaya ang surplus Toyota 1KD or 2KD? I wonder if it would be cost effective to do so.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Joylong Hivan van vs toyota grandia.