New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Going to purchase my 1st car. After a lot of browsing through all of the threads, I really learned a lot. But there are a few, well they are not few really,- specifics that I want you guys to clear out for me.

My choices depended mainly on type, I basically narrowed it down to compact SUV's, AUV's and 2 cars.

I'm from the province and cars are not really that popular, its not that I want to be popular, but really going to my place from Manila, a car would take a serious beating. My budget is something suppose to be lower than 700K but right now Im bent on getting it to 900K.

The main reasons I liked the compact SUV is because of high ground clearance and ruggedness. For the budget the only candidate would be the Hyundai Tucson 2.0 gas at 880K, its not here yet, but be willing to wait (available next month). Iam not brand concious, we have one Korean car and it really surpassed all our expectations. I saw a lot of the Tucson when I went to Guam, it isnt that bad on styling, I really like it, and now that they are selling it a good introductory price, its #1 on my list. I hope they have the maroon color with 2 tones.

But the the Innova is close. There is no reason not to buy it practicality wise, but the top Gas trim is over my budget so........i dont know....tough choice....and then theres the Crosswind XT...what about this one? is it worth it?...Dmax 4x2 MT is above the budget but it has my dads vote, if only he can shrare the cost.

For the cars it came down to 2. The Chevy Zafira and Hyundai Matrix CDRi. Zafira is bigger and have lotsa good reviews. But, i kinda have a feel for a diesel car.

Guys, your comments would be greatly appreciated. There's a lot of discussion on the Jazz and City here, but they are not my cup of tea. But feel free to discuss their merits agaisnt my choices. They are worth listening to.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    hi. looks like you got tough choice to make. consider these things:

-safety
    -horsepower / torque
    -comfort
    -utility
    -fuel consumption
    -parts availability
    -long term cost of operation
    -serviceability
    -reliability
    -practicality

note, i didn't include the looks and styling because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". so it seems you are bent in having a SUV/AUV/UV over a sedan. whereas there are some points that a car couldn't do (i.e. load goods, space), the draw back of SUV/AUV/UV is the creature comforts found in a car.

though i vouch for dmax. i owned one for nearly 2 years already. so far so good, except for the bouncy ride.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I'd go for the Matrix..

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    i'd get the diesel version of the innova .. either j or e .. you don't need all the bling of the g ..

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Bro ..dag dag ka lang ng konti .

doon ka na sa Pick up na mitsubishi strada GLX(990 K)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung pera ko, Innova or Matrix based on your specs.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    yep. i vouch for matrix crdi too.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    With a 900K budget, not a sedan - I'd vote for the Innova E or add 100grand (+/-) to get the escape = )

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd tend to agree.

The XWind is a good choice economy-wise, and it has great ground clearance, but a punishing ride in the back (only stiff in front, back is like riding a karitela pulled by a bus) and a certain crudeness in the steering, body control and braking makes a lot of buyers regret their decision. If you can live with all that, it'll return very decent fuel economy. That crude suspension will take rough stuff a lot better in the long run than the independent rear of the Innova, I THINK... only time will tell if the Innova's car-like suspension will be as durable as the Tamaraw's.

The Innova D4D is supposed to be thrifty, but not as thrifty as the XWind. Still, it's a better ride in all ways, except an Xwind may have better water fording capability due to its high stance and low-end torque and gearing... and the aforementioned rough road ability.

The Matrix will give you the best diesel mileage, a long warranty, and sprightlier driving than either of the other two. Only downside is the space is just as much as the old Spacewagon, strictly a five-seater. If it's just you who's doing the commuting, this'll be a good choice. It's not a car, but the engine gives you a great amount of torque for highway cruising.

But if you can afford the Tucson, that's not a bad choice, either.

Read around. There are a lot of XWind and Adventure owners here, and a lot of threads about common problems THAT MIGHT occur. There are also some posts about the Toyota diesel... not much about the Matrix diesel, as it's too new and not too common yet.

But bear in mind, not everyone gets these problems, and there's a chance your first five years with your first car will be blissfully sweet. :D

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    think innova will work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Its my first...