New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Typically Honda Civics are overpriced and under-equipped when compared to other cars of it's market level. The dealers also do not give much of a discount from it's SRP.

Mechanically, there isn't much to fault.

BTW, don't believe the market people saying that the 1.8L of the Civic gives the power of a 2.0L engine with the fuel consumption of a 1.6L. The truth is the Civic 1.8L has the power and fuel consumption of a 1.8L, no ifs and buts about it.

The Honda Civic 1.8/2.0 is a great car... back in 2006 when it was launched but since then, newer cars with better overall packages (like better audio/video units, interior trim packages, etc) have come out.
    Back in 2006 the Civic was hi-tech and very reasonably priced but now it's just an old car that's 120,000 pesos more expensive than the 2006 model.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    If I were to trust my butt, I'm sure that it would favour the softer sprung altis. My apprehension with this is that I have read in motion cars that at high speeds, the altis is quite unstable. Has anyone driven the altis at speeds greater than 120kph? How did it handle?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    While performing a test drive, better check out the comfort you prefer, the sound of the engine, the responsiveness of the transmission, to say a few.

For the long term ownership, better do your research and ask the sales consultant for a computation of this.

The Honda Civic, just test drive it. But since your choices are 2.0L, you should consider the 2.0S , not the 1.8s

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJohn View Post
    If I were to trust my butt, I'm sure that it would favour the softer sprung altis. My apprehension with this is that I have read in motion cars that at high speeds, the altis is quite unstable. Has anyone driven the altis at speeds greater than 120kph? How did it handle?

Thanks,
    The Altis soft front end tends to plow heavily under higher speeds and understeers a bit more. Typical FWD manners.

But I haven't taken it beyond 120kph in a high-speed curve. My benchmark for high speed maneuvers (consecutive left-then-right maneuver) is at 120kph (on a test track).

But you can read Niky's review of the Corolla Altis 1.6L at their website:

http://bigbigcar.com/ReviewArticle.aspx?id=37
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 4th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for clarifying GH,

It is highly unlikely for my vehicle to see a race track so this type of manoeuvre may be rarely seen, with the exception of an emergency. But I some times (very rarely) push the vehicles I drive to their limit (vios at 165 kph) but would not go all out when I feel that safety will be compromised (vios at 165 will give you the feeling that it is too light and may lift off the road plus a vague steering response).

Their comment was that at highway speeds, it is necessary to hold the steering wheel of the altis with both hands as it is quite "jittery" compared perhaps to other cars they have driven (I know that for the benefit of safety both hands should really be on the steering wheel regardless of what car you drive).

Is the sound system of the EX iPod integrated? or does it have an aux or audio jack?

The Altis soft front end tends to plow heavily under higher speeds and understeers a bit more. Typical FWD manners.

But I haven't taken it beyond 120kph in a high-speed curve. My benchmark for high speed maneuvers (consecutive left-then-right maneuver) is at 120kph (on a test track).

5. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    *GH , I've read this before but I may have forgotten it. I'll give it a long look. Thanks

I'm also now considering the Elantra if it is speced and prized appropriately.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJohn View Post
    Is the sound system of the EX iPod integrated? or does it have an aux or audio jack?
    For the Lancer EX, no iPod integration. Just a simple AUX-IN port. But the HU can also play MP3s burned on CDRs.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 4th, 2011 at 03:30 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I myself am on the market to replace an aging 2007 Corolla Altis 1.6E MT. At the moment, my choices (on the sedan end) are the Altis 2.0V and the Lancer EX GT-A. The Cruze 1.8 LT is also on the equation but, even with the Chevy's new 5-year warranty, I'm still hesitant to plunge head on to Chevy world. I would like to add the EX MX in the mix of choices (for pricing purposes, where the MX is closer tot he Altis 2.0V in pricing terms).

Apart from the sweet Rockford Fosgate sound system, 7-stage Airbags, 18-inch mags, and rear spoiler, is the GT-A really that far off from the Lancer EX MX in terms of driveability and overall comfort?

Though I'm willing to spend for a GT-A, I realized that I wouldn't be spending too much time on it anyway, as I prefer the spaciousness and comfort of my X-Trail. However, I do see myself needing (wanting, hehe) to do a weekend drive in a sporty sedan for a trip to Sta Rosa/Tagaytay and similar places, as well as have the occasional short trip for a midnight snack (where the X-Trail is just too cumbersome).

Also, my wife will be the the real recipient of this as she'll end up using it more than I do (except for coding days, where I definitely have precedence over her ). Se does need a bit of trunk space since she also goes to the occasional road trip with her friends (where I go with my own set of friends using the X-Trail). She personally prefers an Altis over the EX, though she is good with either.

To summarize, the replacement I'm looking for should be comfortable, have adequate power for Manila-to-Tagaytay trips and on rare occasions, Manila-to-Pagudpud, with ample trunk space, have adequate creature-comfort niceties, possess reasonable fuel mileage, and is not a pain for maintenance.

For the scenario above, is it Lancer EX over Altis 2.0? If Lancer EX, will the MX suffice over the GT-A given my usage profile?

----

One other thing... regarding the bigbigcar review made by niky, is that on a 1.6G Corolla that still uses the older 3zz-fe engine? The newer ones uses the dual vvti 1zr-fe and has 122 hp against 110 of the older one, right?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *digitalron

If you need a big trunk (for long trips), the Lancer EX might not suffice because it has a relatively smallish trunk in respect for it's size. Note that I am comparing the trunk space with a Camry.

In terms of drive and overall comfort, the EX MX has most of the stuff that you would really want, including the CVT tranny with paddle-shifters. The difference is the 18inch wheels, ralliart body kit, auto-wipers, airbags, rockford sound system, etc.

If you can live with less, the EX MX is the car you would want to buy (and then buy a set of GTA wheels from the buy&sell so you can get almost the "look" of a GTA).

As an alternative for your needs and your wife's as well, you might want to look at the Mitsubishi ASX 4x2 GLS? The price tag goes up a bit more (P1.22M w/ discounts)

It has the good points of the Lancer EX with better interior, slightly bigger cargo capacity, better ground clearance, good fuel economy, comfortable ride, etc.

Last edited by ghosthunter; April 4th, 2011 at 06:12 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    *digitalron

If you need a big trunk (for long trips), the Lancer EX might not suffice because it has a relatively smallish trunk in respect for it's size. Note that I am comparing the trunk space with a Camry.

In terms of drive and overall comfort, the EX MX has most of the stuff that you would really want, including the CVT tranny with paddle-shifters. The difference is the 18inch wheels, ralliart body kit, auto-wipers, airbags, rockford sound system, etc.

If you can live with less, the EX MX is the car you would want to buy (and then buy a set of GTA wheels from the buy&sell so you can get almost the "look" of a GTA).
    I think I can live without 18" wheels (the wife would probably just rake them against sidewalks, hehe) and the other little touches. As for the trunk space, it's gonna make my wife think a bit since she likes to carry everything (including the kitchen sink if that's possible), though for me, it's not too much of an issue.

Thanks for the lowdown GH, very much appreciated. It makes the MX a very worthy consideration amongst the choices.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Impreza 2 RS M/T vs. Altis 2.0 vs. EX GTA vs. Civic 1.8s