New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    torque.

kaya hindi ako bumibili ng honda. taas nga ng rated hp e nasa 7000 rpm naman. sa normal driving 1000-2000 rpm walang kalatoy-latoy. yung civic ng friend ko konting incline lang need pa paabutin ng 3000+ rpm para maka-akyat. sa humps lang nga e 3000 rpm na hahaha! baklitang kotse!
    +1 on this!
    Yung sa kibigan ko na civic, kapag aatras lang sa hindi ganun ka flat surface(medyo maalon na terrain) Kelangan pa paabutin ng 1000 rpm mahigit.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Diesel = torque
    gas = hp

Kung same engine displacement, alin matipid, diesel diba.
    Depends on the overall tech of the engine, I guess. You have to factor in Direct Injection, Turbo, Compression Ratio. Dami.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Those paper specs are rarely indicative of real-world performance.

Case in point - Vios 1.3 vs City 1.3.

Vios: 85 hp * 6000 / 122 nm * 4400
    City: 100 hp * 6000 / 128 nm * 4800

The City makes much more power and a little more peak torque (at a slightly higher rpm). Based on this, it's easy to say that the City will have better performance.

However, anyone who's driven both would say that the Vios feels much peppier in city driving, and even at highway driving (80-120 kph) it doesn't feel breathless. The City on the other hand, takes a lot of revving to get into the powerband. It likes to be shifted at at least 2500 rpm to feel alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Horsepower sells cars.
    Torque wins races.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Depends on the RPM graph.

"VTEC kicked in yooooooo!!"

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The 1.3L i-VTEC engines that Honda puts on the City and Jazz needs the extra pressure on the gas pedal to make it run at an acceptable cruise. Even the 1.5L still lacks the extra pull when needed at low rpm.

If you want the extra torque, go get yourself a bigger engine. There is no replacement for displacement, unless you go the turbo path.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The 1.3L i-VTEC engines that Honda puts on the City and Jazz needs the extra pressure on the gas pedal to make it run at an acceptable cruise. Even the 1.5L still lacks the extra pull when needed at low rpm.

If you want the extra torque, go get yourself a bigger engine. There is no replacement for displacement, unless you go the turbo path.
    Even with turbos, displacement matters because larger displacements inherently generate more torque.

Comparing the 3.0V Fort and the 2.2L Ranger, though the Ranger has higher torque (375 Nm vs 343 Nm), the Fort has much more low-end grunt due to the annoying turbo lag of the Ranger.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Too many things to consider...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 20santafe14 View Post
    Which is why an in-depth test drive is best. Some cars aren't fast but feel fast, some cars are fast on paper but aren't in real life..etc etc

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 20santafe14 View Post
    It boils down to your needs and preferences. Drag racers and open highway speeders will always go for hp (yo!) but these will get whipped on a mountain road and a technical track by the car with a good dose of low end torque. In most cases, it's the balance between the two that most people prefer nowadays. Test drive lang katapat niyan.

Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, Honda's were referred to as torqueless wonders (taas ng hp pero sobrang bitin sa low end); at least with the newer models, it's less evident already.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast