New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hey Guys,

I just got my first car last Aug. She's a Honda Jazz GE MMC. And I have an itch to dress her up. I get conflicting views on whether to keep it stock or customize it. So the question here is:

Which has higher resale value in the future, Stock or Customized?

Which offers more satisfaction over time.

So far I've only added Modulo Spoiler Wings and leatherette seat covers.

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    16" ROTA wheels.

Believe it or not, a bone stock one commands a better resale value, especially with its factory original paint intact.

Take it from a 2nd hand car junkie like me.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    stock=higher resale

palit ka na lang mags tapos tago mo yun stock mags mo

To add:

As per my experience: More mods=more maintenance headaches.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Believe it or not, a bone stock one commands a better resale value, especially with its factory original paint intact.

Take it from a 2nd hand car junkie like me.
    I agree here.

If ever there are any aftermarket accessories that would entice me to a car (but not necessarily pay more), it would be if its a rare OEM parts or accessories from a foreign market or limited run model (i.e. EUDM parts).

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Bone stock or original OEM accessories would be better.

Ayoko rin kasi sobrang magara. After a while baka magsawa ako haha

8. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your opinions. Sometimes nakatempt talaga kc when you see other Jazz na pimped up talaga. but I guess tama nga c MDA baka magsawa tapos palit na naman haha

I guess keeping it stock is a practical and simple way. I still think maganda na sya overall already.

Questions, how bout interior add-ons? Kc like the Shift Knob is just plastic as well as the arm side rests. parang cheapo tingnan actually unlike the new Honda City na with gun metal accents ung loob nya kaya maganda and class yung feeling. I drive everyday and parang nalulungkot ako wen I see the plastics =S kuripot talaga to c honda.

You think enhancing a bit the interior would add more value on resale? I just kinda don't want to spend so much and not get anything back in the far future.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_dlsu View Post
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your opinions. Sometimes nakatempt talaga kc when you see other Jazz na pimped up talaga. but I guess tama nga c MDA baka magsawa tapos palit na naman haha

I guess keeping it stock is a practical and simple way. I still think maganda na sya overall already.
    Actually I was in your exact same position before, when we got our 09 FD.

Nung una, gusto ko - the works. Bodykit, aftermarket rims, lowered, you name it.

Pero nakita ko, ang dami palang downsides.

Magpa body kit ka? Baka hindi matched yung kulay.
    Pag-tanggal, gasgas na yung bumpers. Repaint. Minsan panget pa pagkagawa. And nothing beats original paint-not even the Casa nor the best painters can replicate factory paint quality. Butas na rin bumpers mo dahil sa screws sa front chin etc.

Wing/Spoiler? Kung magsawa ka, aanhin mo yung butas sa trunk? Nakakita na rin ako ng trunk na natanggalan ng wing, panay kalawang around the drill holes kasi panget yung pagkagawa.

New rims? New tires din. Gastos. Harsher ride to boot if you opt for lower profile tires.

Lowering springs? Good luck sa lubak, lalo sa baha.

Engine mods? Intake/Headers? Don't really think I'm itching for more power.

HID? Kawawa ka kapag magloko electricals mo 10 years down the line lalo kapag bulok yung installer.

I had a ducktail dati. Panget yung pagkakabit. Ended up with uneven paint sa trunk between where the ducktail used to be and the rest of the trunk, and a deep dot in the paint na eventually kinalawang (maliit lang and ako lang nakakapansin, pero OC ako sa kotse eh).

Eventually all my current mods are now either very simple and easily removable, or OEM.

a) Leatherette seat covers c/o Seatmate
    b) OEM Interior / door scuff plates
    c) OEM chrome tail pipe finisher
    d) OEM front chin rubber lip (like what you have sa GE nyo as stock)
    e) OEM "i-vtec" emblem sa ilalim ng 1.8S emblem
    f) LED plate lights na maputi instead of the traditional yellowish color.

For me, malinis and it's subtly different without being so outlandish. Malaki rin ginastos ko diyan. That's easily 15k already. Not as if pwede mong ibenta yung car 15k higher because of those mods.

Quote Originally Posted by ram_dlsu View Post
    Questions, how bout interior add-ons? Kc like the Shift Knob is just plastic as well as the arm side rests. parang cheapo tingnan actually unlike the new Honda City na with gun metal accents ung loob nya kaya maganda and class yung feeling. I drive everyday and parang nalulungkot ako wen I see the plastics =S kuripot talaga to c honda.

You think enhancing a bit the interior would add more value on resale? I just kinda don't want to spend so much and not get anything back in the far future.
    You can have the shift knob changed, my friend has had it done. Just keep the stock; madali lang yan ibalik (just watch them how they do it).

With regards to the other interior mods you are planning, medyo mahal yata yan. I've seen leatherette sidings done by some shops, ok naman yung quality.

Just don't expect your mods to add resale to your car.

Unless OEM mods yan, baka bumaba pa nga.

Bottom line is - once you spend on mods, consider the value as 0 na. Bonus nalang if you can get something out of it when you sell your car.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm not against the modification of cars. I just don't find it so appealing na after figuring out some of the drawbacks. If you you're happier with the car modified, then I can't fault anyone. Maganda nga naman e.
    Last edited by mda; February 28th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Thanks MDA very insightful sinabi mo. Dami palang draw backs and iisipin pagdami mods.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Honda Jazz Stock vs. Customized