New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi everyone, would like to get help on deciding what brandnew vehicle to get. am choosing between the ff.:
    1. toyota hilux G M/T 4x2 Diesel
    2. toyota hilux E M/T 4x2 Diesel
    3. mitsubishi strada GLX M/T 4x2 Diesel
    4. mitsubishi strada GLX V A/T 4x2 Diesel
    5. hyundai tucson 2.0L GL 2WD 5 M/T Theta II D-CVVT (Gas)
    6. hyundai tucson 2.0L GL 2WD 6 A/T Theta II D-CVVT (Gas)

my factors for deciding are:
    1. price: budget is P950k to just a little over P1m only
    2. technical specs: which has the best engine, features, etc.
    3. fuel efficiency: fuel prices are just getting kind of expensive.
    4. maintenance level and cost: i hear the strada maintenance cost is high. also, am used to driving a car so if i do get a diesel pickup or an suv, this would be a first. how different would this be from a car? which will last me 4 or 5yrs without giving me a headache.
    5. re-sale value: which one gets the best resale value?
    6. looks, of course
    7. driving comfort: because this will be my daily drive

we're 5 in the family but i will be the only one who will use this most of the time. i don't really bring much cargo around since i work in an office. the cargo space, will come in handy once in awhile only. but am concerned that flooding is happening more often these days that's why i'm thinking of getting a pickup or suv.

hoping to hear your opinions. thanks a lot!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stgo0727 View Post
    hi everyone, would like to get help on deciding what brandnew vehicle to get. am choosing between the ff.:
    1. toyota hilux G M/T 4x2 Diesel
    2. toyota hilux E M/T 4x2 Diesel
    3. mitsubishi strada GLX M/T 4x2 Diesel
    4. mitsubishi strada GLX V A/T 4x2 Diesel
    5. hyundai tucson 2.0L GL 2WD 5 M/T Theta II D-CVVT (Gas)
    6. hyundai tucson 2.0L GL 2WD 6 A/T Theta II D-CVVT (Gas)

my factors for deciding are:
    1. price: budget is P950k to just a little over P1m only
    2. technical specs: which has the best engine, features, etc.
    3. fuel efficiency: fuel prices are just getting kind of expensive.
    4. maintenance level and cost: i hear the strada maintenance cost is high. also, am used to driving a car so if i do get a diesel pickup or an suv, this would be a first. how different would this be from a car? which will last me 4 or 5yrs without giving me a headache.
    5. re-sale value: which one gets the best resale value?
    6. looks, of course
    7. driving comfort: because this will be my daily drive

we're 5 in the family but i will be the only one who will use this most of the time. i don't really bring much cargo around since i work in an office. the cargo space, will come in handy once in awhile only. but am concerned that flooding is happening more often these days that's why i'm thinking of getting a pickup or suv.

hoping to hear your opinions. thanks a lot!
    My opinion (highest ranking at left):
    1. value for money: Strada GLX-V, Strada GLX, Hilux, Tucson
    2. technical specs: Strada GLX-V, Tucson Theta II, Strada GLX, Hilux
    3. fuel efficiency: Hilux, Strada GLX, Strada GLX-V, Tucson Theta II
    4. maintenance: Tucson Theta II, Hilux, Strada GLX, Strada GLX-V
    5. resale value: (probably) Strada GLX-V, Hilux, Strada GLX, Tucson Theta II
    6. looks: (subjective) Hilux, Strada, Tucson
    7. comfort: Tucson, Strada, Hilux

Since you're five, I suggest you get a vehicle that seats more than five. Any picks?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi GTi, thanks for the reply!

actually, 2 of my siblings don't stay with us as much anymore... so we're technically just 3 in the family for now. but this is basically my daily ride to work. that's the main use. no other usual passengers.

i will need to gather more info about the vehicles for me to decide on what to finally get.

although toyota hilux yung dream pickup ko when i was younger. but of course, may mga bagong choices na ngayon so am open to these na.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Well, during the 90s yung mas nagmumukhang swabeng pickup ay ang Hilux and Strada lang. Yung Hilux maganda tingnan talaga yung latest facelift, yun nga lang ang 4x2 variant dito still uses the old 102hp Innova D4D engine kaya mahina as compared to the others. If you're getting the Hilux, I suggest the 3.0D4D. Now THAT would be one hell of a pickup. Pero in the comfort department at the pickup class, nothing beats the Strada. And its got the tightest turning radius in its class to boot. Now that its got VGT technology, it accelerates like a bat out of hell too. If you're alone most of the time, the Tucson would've been more convenient. Who wants to be parking an over five meter long vehicle everyday at the office parking? But the 2.0L gasoline engine would tend to drink more especially in stop and go traffic.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hilux, lagi na lang meron flash floods.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    if i get a hilux, my budget will only allow me the hilux G or E na 4x2 so the 3.0 engine is out of the question. if only i had more funds! sigh!! hehe!

anyway... i hear that the old diesel engines are the more reliable ones. so is the current hilux engine better than the strada's?

ano ba ang best for flood situations? can the strada GLX V automatic take it?

yes, i can imagine that the tucson would be a more comfy and convenient ride but is it reliable and long-lasting? di naman madali masira or magka problems in 3years?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Yes, old school diesels can take much more abuse. But new ones will serve you well if you take good care of it. I've heard of Hilux owners who have clocked very, very high mileages already. Most noteable is Topgear's Botchi (or was it Dinzo? I forgot. ) who was very, very satisfied with his Hilux 3.0D4D. I believe the Strada GLX-V will be able to take it naman, it is still the tried and tested 4D56 after all. And have you seen the popular video in Youtube of a Montero Sport fording floods?

I suggest also that you check out 2nd hand vehicles as well. No need to be the very old ones, yung mga ilang months to two years old lang or so na binebenta na. You may be able to find a very fine ride at a lower cost.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i need to buy brand new because its required from my company loan. so i can't get the hilux 3.0D4D even if i really really wanted to.

i noticed the strada GLX-V has the VGT 4D56 engine while the GLX only says 4D56. Are these different engines? But yun nga, i heard the maintenance cost ng stradas are high. do you guys know how high??? how much is the estimated frequency and cost? baka naman magulat ako frequency and expenses.

yung hilux din... any idea on the maintenance frequency and cost? i used to have a toyota sedan, not much maintenance yun and was content with the performance. kaso lang, i found na medyo matigas yung gears.

ok, i will try to search for topgear reviews and the youtube video.

thanks again!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stgo0727 View Post
    i need to buy brand new because its required from my company loan. so i can't get the hilux 3.0D4D even if i really really wanted to.

i noticed the strada GLX-V has the VGT 4D56 engine while the GLX only says 4D56. Are these different engines? But yun nga, i heard the maintenance cost ng stradas are high. do you guys know how high??? how much is the estimated frequency and cost? baka naman magulat ako frequency and expenses.

yung hilux din... any idea on the maintenance frequency and cost? i used to have a toyota sedan, not much maintenance yun and was content with the performance. kaso lang, i found na medyo matigas yung gears.

ok, i will try to search for topgear reviews and the youtube video.

thanks again!
    Maintenance cost between hilux and strada would be close. Tucson would be the lowest since it has fewer oil in the engine (gas kasi) vs the diesels of the two.

The engine of the GLX-V and the GLX are the same but the turbo is different that is why power is also very different. Have you checked other pick-ups?

As GTi mentioned, get the Strada GLX-V for the amount of money you have. Comfort with Power.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    have you considered the ranger?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast