New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I bought a 2nd-hand Honda Civic 2004 model last July 3 at a car shop (I'm not gonna name names here). The salesperson told me that the previous owner only used the car going to work and that it was mostly family-driven. The registered mileage at the time I bought the car was around 64k. By the way, I bought this car for 330k.

When I went today to Honda Service Center to have the car checked, I was surprised to know that the car was last serviced on 2008 and that its mileage at that time was already at 120k+. So that means by the time that the car was sold to the car shop (I assume that it was sold to them this year, as this shop is relatively new), the mileage must be almost 200k. The person handling the service of the car informed me that it was previously owned by a company (surprise, surprise). I was shocked and extremely dumbfounded when I learned about this. I was obviously being conned.

I chatted with the salesperson about this and she informed me that they also did not know about it and it was the first time that they experienced something like this. I asked them if they are going to do anything about it and informed them that I will definitely file a complaint against them. Isn't it their job to do a background check of the car? Would it be too hard for them to verify if the mileage is correct?

Do you know of any governing body to which I can raise this issue? This really pisses me off. I was so happy to finally have a much better car (I used to have a Nissan Sunny and then a Toyota Corolla 1992 model). But imagine my reaction when I found out about this.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by anansiboy View Post
    I bought a 2nd-hand Honda Civic 2004 model last July 3 at a car shop (I'm not gonna name names here). The salesperson told me that the previous owner only used the car going to work and that it was mostly family-driven. The registered mileage at the time I bought the car was around 64k. By the way, I bought this car for 330k.

When I went today to Honda Service Center to have the car checked, I was surprised to know that the car was last serviced on 2008 and that its mileage at that time was already at 120k+. So that means by the time that the car was sold to the car shop (I assume that it was sold to them this year, as this shop is relatively new), the mileage must be almost 200k. The person handling the service of the car informed me that it was previously owned by a company (surprise, surprise). I was shocked and extremely dumbfounded when I learned about this. I was obviously being conned.

I chatted with the salesperson about this and she informed me that they also did not know about it and it was the first time that they experienced something like this. I asked them if they are going to do anything about it and informed them that I will definitely file a complaint against them. Isn't it their job to do a background check of the car? Would it be too hard for them to verify if the mileage is correct?

Do you know of any governing body to which I can raise this issue? This really pisses me off. I was so happy to finally have a much better car (I used to have a Nissan Sunny and then a Toyota Corolla 1992 model). But imagine my reaction when I found out about this.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks!
    That's very usual of some (not generalizing) car dealers. How about DTI? Hehehe not sure, but you should seek to a consumer protection agency for any complaints or return/refund (which I strongly suggest). Good luck with your dilemma.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Charge "that" to experience. You got screwed, conned, fooled, etc. etc. Subject car is in your hands now, papers signed, money changed hands. Ano pa habol mo? You'll just spend more money on lawyers, litigation, paperwork (again!), etc. etc.

The stress and hassle it will create ...........

Keep your peace, what goes around comes around.

I hope my being straight-forward helped a bit ..

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    yeah, and just pray that those bastards don't be involved in a life-threatening accident, or you will be saying "buti nga!" Bad yun!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    happened din to me way back...
    i bought a 2000 lancer which had around 64k odometer reading.... pagdating nung odometer sa 100k, biglang naging 238k...
    kaya pala pinasakit ang ulo ko nun....

anyway, you can report to DTI.... i have inside connections. just let me know if you need help.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    kaya before buying 2nd hand cars, bring with you a trusted at magaling na mechanic. i never opted to buy 2nd hand cars kasi sa mga ganyang situwasyon. well, that's me...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    sorry you both (seller and you) were conned.... would you really want to waste your time and money to sue the seller?!? imo it is not worth it. check your contract with them...they probably did not express any warranty of any sort about it that will make them liable to whatever claim you want.

how worst could it get?!? what if na-ondoy yang oto na yan and the last owner had the electronics replaced (explaining the low mileage of the odo) for it to work.

look into the brightside...you have a cheap sedan that will probably last you another 5 years or more before you decide to sell it.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    my suggestion is, better tell us what dealer is that. yun na ang ganti mo sakanila para walang bibili dun

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    My advice is to assert your rights under the Consumer Act. Your P330,000 is certainly no change and you worked hard for it. Don't charge it to experience; fight for what's right. I suggest you file a complaint with DTI. I'm sure the seller would hate to be inconvenienced too.

Check this out: How DTI handles consumer complaints http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/18861/...mer-complaints

Another avenue is the media. Report your case to a radio program (Tulfo?) and tell them your story. You should be able to get a refund if you're persistent.

You've heard the adage: "Walang manloloko kung walang magpapaloko." Maybe you can talk to the seller and tell them about your "plan". If they're reasonable, you should be able to settle the dispute amicably. God bless you.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    benta mo na lang ulit.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast