New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    59
    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    An Expedition doesn't share engines, transmissions or even engineering teams with the Everest, which is Mazda B-Series based.

    And as others have noted here... there are those of us with erh... "unfortunate" experiences with repairing Mitsubishi INVECS systems.

    -

    In my driving, the Fortuner transmission actually feels more responsive than the Montero Sport transmission... though this is on a case-to-case basis... the Montero 2.5's extra power makes it feel better than the Fortuner 2.5... whereas the Fort's 4AT really shines when mated to the 3.0... the Montero 3.2 feels sluggish in comparison.

    -

    The Everest 5-speed feels a bit indecisive with the 2.5. With the 3.0, it's the best engine-transmission combo in the class. But the Everest simply isn't a match for the Montero Sport in many other areas.

    -

    Let's talk about brakes instead? Because the brakes on all these trucks simply suck. :hysterical:
    I agree with your comments about the Montero 3.2 and Fortuner 3.0, we own both vehicles and the Montero's response is really sluggish in comparison to the toyota, especially in the 1st and 2nd gear. Despite claims that it is adaptive, I don't feel that it has adapted to my style. Even in sport's mode, the Toyota still responds quicker.

  2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,585
    #42
    [QUOTE=wei;1673528] Despite claims that it is adaptive, I don't feel that it has adapted to my style. Even in sport's mode, the Toyota still responds quicker.[/QUOTE

    Are you always stucked in traffic? you could try what i did. Bring your 3.2 in the casa and ask them to reset the ecu. Then drive your monty for 1 week in fast lanes avoid traffics and go to speed in excess of 150 kph. You will notice you monty start to become responaive, btw use K&N filter. The drawback, your fc will be higher if you perenially got stuck in traffic.

  3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    59
    #43
    [quote=glenn_duke;1673572]
    Quote Originally Posted by wei View Post
    Despite claims that it is adaptive, I don't feel that it has adapted to my style. Even in sport's mode, the Toyota still responds quicker.[/QUOTE

    Are you always stucked in traffic? you could try what i did. Bring your 3.2 in the casa and ask them to reset the ecu. Then drive your monty for 1 week in fast lanes avoid traffics and go to speed in excess of 150 kph. You will notice you monty start to become responaive, btw use K&N filter. The drawback, your fc will be higher if you perenially got stuck in traffic.
    That's an interesting tip. So it takes that long for it to adapt? With regards to the K&n filter, do you use drop-in type? I'm considering switching to K&N too in the near future too. By the way, this happens to me often: when trying to overtake slow moving vehicles on 2 lane roads (tricyles, kuligligs and even cars) with the transmission in D mode and in 2nd gear, when I floor the accelerator to pass, the revs picks up quickly and the engine makes a huge roar, but alas, the car doesn't speed up, almost as if there is a lag. is this related to the tranny?

  4. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,118
    #44
    I've driven both the 3.2 4x4 MS and 3.0 D-max (which is almost the same as the Alterra), i prefer the isuzu's transmission than the mitsu. kasi for me, i can't almost hear the shifting sa dmax. and also parang ang tigas i-push and pull yung sa mitsubishi.

  5. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,585
    #45
    [quote=wei;1673936]
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post

    That's an interesting tip. So it takes that long for it to adapt? With regards to the K&n filter, do you use drop-in type? I'm considering switching to K&N too in the near future too. By the way, this happens to me often: when trying to overtake slow moving vehicles on 2 lane roads (tricyles, kuligligs and even cars) with the transmission in D mode and in 2nd gear, when I floor the accelerator to pass, the revs picks up quickly and the engine makes a huge roar, but alas, the car doesn't speed up, almost as if there is a lag. is this related to the tranny?
    My monty is 3.2 , I intensionaly run it at high speed for 1 week. I avoid traffic or short go and stop driving. I limit my top speed to 160 kph, I dont want to damage the stock tire which is only rated to 165 kph.
    My K&N is drop type, remove it before PMS.
    If you are trying to overtake at low speed use the sportronic. The fuel you use also affect your ride, I use Shell, when I used Petron, my engine roared. Now, there is almost no noticeable lag. The only problem is, if you get stucked in traffic your fc is higher than usual. There is also one thing you should notice, a 100 kph in a car is very noticeable for the driver, but inside a monty you will not notice the 100 kph speed. So next time you came out from a stop, before you rant of the lag, look at you rear view mirror, you will notice how the cars behind you slowly becoming smaller.

  6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    59
    #46
    [quote=glenn_duke;1674296]
    Quote Originally Posted by wei View Post

    My monty is 3.2 , I intensionaly run it at high speed for 1 week. I avoid traffic or short go and stop driving. I limit my top speed to 160 kph, I dont want to damage the stock tire which is only rated to 165 kph.
    My K&N is drop type, remove it before PMS.
    If you are trying to overtake at low speed use the sportronic. The fuel you use also affect your ride, I use Shell, when I used Petron, my engine roared. Now, there is almost no noticeable lag. The only problem is, if you get stucked in traffic your fc is higher than usual. There is also one thing you should notice, a 100 kph in a car is very noticeable for the driver, but inside a monty you will not notice the 100 kph speed. So next time you came out from a stop, before you rant of the lag, look at you rear view mirror, you will notice how the cars behind you slowly becoming smaller.
    all right, thank you for your feedback

  7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1
    #47
    Quote Originally Posted by arsen View Post
    With regards to the current/existing technology and considering the future (if this thread remain open for the years to come),


    Motero Sport win


    By the way here is a sneak preview of future transmission with a goal of improving fuel consumption/reducing emission.
    hybrid_DDP/DDM
    Better look at them now for they might be soon removed from the site.

    And look who is the owner:
    MCAT


    Montero engine are unreliable. see after 4-5 years and you'll regret buying them.

  8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    212
    #48
    Quote Originally Posted by nexalf View Post
    Montero engine are unreliable. see after 4-5 years and you'll regret buying them.
    you are right... the montero engine is the most unreliable engine in the world...

    wait... is this the same 4d56 as the engine of the long-running l300 from the 80's and still being produced currently??? the same engine of l200/strada, adventure and some pajeros??? the same engine used by hyundai with their starex (1st gen)???

    weird first post...

    what a conclusion??? you came back from the future to warn us, didnt you???

    and thread is about the transmission and not the engine...

    last na OT, any engine that is not maintained properly will bog down earlier...

  9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,937
    #49
    Quote Originally Posted by krinkx View Post
    you are right... the montero engine is the most unreliable engine in the world...

    wait... is this the same 4d56 as the engine of the long-running l300 from the 80's and still being produced currently??? the same engine of l200/strada, adventure and some pajeros??? the same engine used by hyundai with their starex (1st gen)???

    weird first post...

    what a conclusion??? you came back from the future to warn us, didnt you???

    and thread is about the transmission and not the engine...

    last na OT, .any engine that is not maintained properly will bog down in earlier..
    Hahahaha. :bwahaha: Nagustuhan ko comment mo sir!

    I strongly agree to your post.

  10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    26,770
    #50
    can we add Kia Sorento to the list for comparison purposes?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Which has the best A/T: Montero Sport, Fortuner, Everest or Alterra?