New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Now that will depend heavily on your preferences, requirements and also your financial standing. The Grand Starex is a 12 seater diesel van. Its not exactly known for its fuel efficiency but it is at least reasonable as 2.5L diesels go, and it is one fast van. The seating capacities of the D-Max and 320i combined are actually still lesser than the GS. But it will be a hassle to have just one car if you have lots of drivers in the house and also coding inconveniences. On the other hand, is it OK with you to maintain two cars? Especially since the other car happens to be an expensive European compact, take into consideration the high maintenance costs of BMWs as well. The D-Max is a very reliable car. Reasonably quick and surprisingly fuel efficient too for a 3.0L diesel. Though a bit down on screaming top end power, that can be rectified easily. If all you pursue for the purpose of buying the 320i is comfort, I suggest you get a Japanese midsize sedan instead of a cramped European compact. A 2nd hand Honda Accord 3.5V6 would be nice. Very comfortable, lots of space, gobs of power and yet still retaining the values expected in a driver's car as expected from a Honda.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    ^ Yun nga lang hindi ibibigay ng Accord yung "image" na naka BMW ka.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Image siguro yung main reason ng TS.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Downgrade yun paps, BMW na naging Accord pa.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Now everyone is helping. :thumbup: Every word said has its own weight.

By the way the other car we just let go is a 2005 Altis. If I am on the wheel, it is nice too but if I am at the backseat, I want more. Except for that bumpy ride, the D-max never let me down, I have lots of confidence in it and really hard to let go. But if I am at the backseat (wifey on the wheel), it can't help but banging my head on the roof.

*Starex_Gold, nice one boss on the "image" point. We have to acknowledge that we pinoys sometimes good at stereotyping. If you are in your favorite muddy maong and a pair of sandals then board a pinoy carrier business class, the flight attendant will direct you to the back rows without even bothering to check your boarding pass.

The image sa aking palagay, hindi nawawala. And this three letter badged car is not even in my shortlist when I started searching for the the next car until I read deeper. It will not leave the garage everyday, a weekender may be, and may not even add another 5K on the odo for a year so I will not get the one with a plastic wrap on its seats.

*GTI on financial standing, I may not be that guy who will travel regular on business class. I wish soon. Kelan kaya? Anyway, as for the capacity, it is also not a daily necessity but rather it must be available when needed.

Considering all your comments, it looks I really need to keep two rides but wifey wants a GS. May be girls really want bigger?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    The 'badge' accounts for the difference in prices....

15.8K:dunno:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It seems you have no option but to buy the GS. Sabi ni misis eh. Hehehe!

Get her the GS, get yourself the E90 and let go of the DMax. And then curtail her shopping muna. Gusto niya ng GS.

Good luck! Especially on the curtail part. Hehehe!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    To the TS, are you decided on a BMW? Or are you open to a Benz suggestion? ..

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by confused shoes View Post
    *GTI on financial standing, I may not be that guy who will travel regular on business class. I wish soon. Kelan kaya? Anyway, as for the capacity, it is also not a daily necessity but rather it must be available when needed.

Considering all your comments, it looks I really need to keep two rides but wifey wants a GS. May be girls really want bigger?
    If you need to have more than one car and your wife wants a GS, might I suggest you get a 2nd hand GS and another car.

Personally kasi, hindi ko ganon ka-type ang mga European compacts. Its a given of course that you have the image, the upscale feel and performance of a European car and all that. Pero underneath all that, it is still a compact sedan which is like the Corolla's and Civic's of the Europeans. Kung sabihing exclusivity, hindi rin kasi marami na din ang E90 dito. IMHO kung European car ang pinag-uusapan, 5 series na. A 2003 E39 would be nice.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Pero underneath all that, it is still a compact sedan which is like the Corolla's and Civic's of the Europeans. Kung sabihing exclusivity, hindi rin kasi marami na din ang E90 dito. IMHO kung European car ang pinag-uusapan, 5 series na. A 2003 E39 would be nice.
    I've yet to find a compact that drives as well as an E46 3-series. 318i lang yung natry ko ah. Paper specs never tell you the full story. And kahit maraming naka-E90, anong mas maganda ang image, 320i o Hyundai i30?

A 2003 E39 would be a big pain to maintain, but it's the most timeless BMW for me. Simply beautiful.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Grand Starex against a D-max+E90 320i