New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Hello Everyone.

Just registered but has been reading a lot of your very informative posts for months. Also been very familiar with the members who gave really helpful advises and the members who had been banned for some reasons. Wonderful forum, indeed.

I got here a situation and I hope you can share some thoughts. We got a D-max for the cargoes (and as wifey's daily driver) and a second car (sedan) for a more comfortable ride. Recently, we've given up the second car and I plan to get a E90 320i for the comfort. Wifey suggests to give up the D-max as well and get a new Grand Starex and of course less the E90.

The GS is obviously a lot more fun and comfortable than the D-max and can haul the cargoes as well. Her other reason is the seating capacity the GS can offer but the D-max plus the E90 may serve the same. Cost is also a deciding factor.

What are your thoughts?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Dump the D-Max and get a Strada for riding comfort and an E46 325i.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Thank you Walter for the suggestion.

The Strada should be a riding comfort as many claims but I should have mentioned earlier that the D-max may only be replaced by a GS and not one of its kind. The E46 325i is really my first choice as I like the body but with my readings, I came across the sub-frame issue with the E46. Some say the problem may only be noticed when it's already serious and I am not good at checking these kind of things. So I came up with a narrowed down options. D-max+E90(320i) or GS(probably a Gold).

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    for what it's worth, there's a sure difference with having the GS alone against having both the Dmax and E90... your fuel consumption. For the latter, you will have to fuel 2 cars...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ^^^ You can have a 100-point check up done before buying an E46. 2002-2003 facelifted E46 won't have subframe issues.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Of course kung saan meron BMW dun ako... E90 naman eh.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Do you really need the extra seating capacity of the GS?

Keep in mind that the GS is also harder to drive than the D-Max, and is a less robust vehicle overall. I'd go with the D-Max + E90, but get a 320d instead if you can. Or, if you insist with a gas-fed premium compact car, why not the C200 CGI?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    *jaejae, the cost of maintaining a single car is a point to consider but there is also this convenience of two where there is still one running when the other is not available. I am balancing these conditions too. Thanks.

*walter, I have to rethink about that sub-frame issue. Thanks.
    *renzo, yeah you got it right.

*jut703, seating capacity is needed and is as important as the driving comfort that's why the GS came as a quick option. I think I need to ask wifey to drive one of those GSes at the show room. I wish I could get the 320d but budget won't allow at the moment.

Thanks guys. I hope to hear more.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    A household should have at least one multi-purpose vehicle (van), and one sedan (car). Just my thoughts...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Though your fuel and maintenance bill would be cut, would it be cut in half by going with the GS?

Will you still be flexible enough even with just the GS? What about coding days?

I'm a GS owner. Proud of the d*mn beast. It's comfortable, spacious and pretty quick for its size. But it's just 1 ride. And when you have 2 drivers in the family, with a business (I'm assuming) needing cargo carrying capacity, and coding still being implemented in most parts of the Metro, I think you're better off with 2 cars.

I agree with lowslowbenz. A household should have at least one relatively bigger MPV/van and 1 sedan or SUV. If your wife did not drive, I could agree with just the GS. As for myself, the wife and the 2 kids, we've got the GS and an SUV. Her gen 1 Vios din sana, but then we don't have the garage space in the condo for 3 cars.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Grand Starex against a D-max+E90 320i