New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    For that budget, suggest maybe a 00-01 Corolla GLI-Altis. It wouldn't match the efficieny per km of the City, but from our experience, it was the most fuel efficient 1600 we've tried and tracked. Good luck in the final pick.
    Last edited by Autobeat; February 20th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Ok, now the choices are expanding

1) Honda City
    2) Honda Civic
    3) Toyota Corolla

What about a Lancer? Is it worth considering if fuel-efficiency AND looks are top factors to consider (given the quoted budget)?

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Have you tried Nissan Sentra Exalta STA or SLA (circa 1999-2001?). 1.6li, STA has leather seats, etc. Btw, you should include the Sentras bec. they have big depreciation therefore could be acquired for a fraction of the cost.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Nope, haven't tried any Sentra. I hear so much about the unavailability of spare parts of Nissan vehicles but then again, I am not 100% sure about it. How's your experience with Nissan cars?

My friend is leaning towards a Honda City or a Civic or a Corolla. She is even considering a Kia Picanto which she swears is so cute. I've read in a forum somewhere that they units are not readily available, and some owners claim that the fuel efficiency is not close to what the company advertises. She might skip Picanto too.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Sorry dont have a Nissan.

Going for a sub-compact as small as a Picanto from a spacious Revo would be take some getting used to, really.

Assuming your friend has a budget of P300-350K, it is better to get a Civic 1.6 VTI mt or at. Better to get the 1999 or 2000 models, since Honda made some updates cosmetically and the price for these are almost the same as City or Corolla. It would be a nice compromise in space and petrol thriftiness. Try looking for a low mileage example, which are hard to come by but definitely worth the buy.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hmm, seems a Honda Civic 1.6 Vti is a popular choice for that price range. Compared to a City, will Civic be able to generate fuel savings too?

For the real techies out there, will switching from 1.8 li DLX Revo engine to a 1.6 Vti Civic engine make a difference? Or it's really a matter of driving habits?

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    I think when comparing the 1.5li City to a 1.6 Civic, the City *might* have a slight edge, bec. of the lighter body. The choice of transmission may also be a deciding factor. Manual is definitely thriftier than automatic. I dont know about the 1.3li City, since it has a smaller engine displacement, therefore revving higher might be common and that in turn could affect the fuel economy rate.

Based on what people say and from what I read around here, the Revo does have a gas guzzler reputation. Yes, I think it could make a difference if your friend uses the vehicle very extensively. If she uses like 4 Km or less a day, not much difference. But I believe the 1.6 Civic will defintely have a better fuel mileage (than a Revo) even if its driven improperly.

Driving habits does matter also. Do not do abrupt starts/acceleration and braking. Avoid revving the engine too high. Always use momentum.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by driver4ever
    Thanks, ian_rex.

Just a follow up question. Are there City/Civic models which run on diesel?? I have a feeling the diesel option is only for SUVs and pickups. Care to enlighten us on this?
    none. considering the City has a slight edge on fuel efficiency due to its vehicle weight, still there is no substitute for horses. consider this, a 1.5 VTi City rates 115hp while the Civic has 127hp. sure, you won't be utilize all of that since that is the max power. but still in its power curve the Civic has the edge for power on any given RPM range. now, where is the fuel efficiency there? it is on how much power you need to shed out by stepping on the gas. also, the 1.6 has the edge for dashing as compared to the 1.5.

why not get a getz?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Driving habits does matter also. Do not do abrupt starts/acceleration and braking. Avoid revving the engine too high. Always use momentum.
    we have a thread for this. just use the search function of this forums, i'm sure this would be very helpful.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I think we'll start scouting around for Civic 1.6 and City 1.5 then. Once we see actual units of cars for sale, then perhaps other factors will come into play such as the actual condition of the car, the color, price, etc.

As for the Getz, it's a 1.1 engine right? If we compare Getz with the two other cars, what would be the advantage of Getz? I assume there isn't much second hand Getz around since it's a new car in the market.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Give up Revo for a sedan?