New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The MP-X has ABS and EBD if I recall right? I don't know what OEM tires go on the View and MPX, though. But I don't expect them to be anything near stellar. Maybe another set of light truck tires is a good first mod.

I'm also wondering about the ride quality. Would it be too far off the old Urvan?

And would the Passenger Van's wrap around rear a/c be more effective than the single point a/c of the ambulance?
    OEM tires suck. sidewalls fold over too easily.

Ride quality not too far off.

Don't know. I like single point better because the air isn't soaking in heat from the hot tin roof above it... but that's just me.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I've seen the passenger van View before and it seems to be significantly longer than the ambulance View and the previous gen Hiace sold locally. One thing I like about this van is that you should be able to interchange a great deal of bad quality Chinese parts with good Toyota and Isuzu parts. Perhaps if we change as many China parts as we can, it would be able to get near Japanese quality?

*bro niky: since you have driven the van, how does it compare with the Hiace (both 2.4 and 3.0) in both quality and performance? On paper it seems to be significantly more powerful than the Hiace. Is that really so in real life? And what can you say about the steering, gearbox and clutch as compared to the real Hiace?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Haven't driven that gen of Hiace. Obviously far off from the current D4D ones in all ways. Like I said, steering, acceleration and braking about what you'd expect. The clutch and shifter suck, but that can be down to the abused test unit. Power is okay but not spectacular. The oomph is more noticeable with the MPX.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    *sir niky, so it's more recommendable to buy MPX than View?
    esp. if you want the starex but with limited budget?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    One of the PowerWheels contributors has an MP-X, so far, they're happy with it. One or two major items replaced under warranty, but so far, fuel economy and ride seem to be okay.

It's about as risky as buying anything, I guess. At least you know that you can fall back on Japanese parts in some instances.

Oh, *Doc OTEP... don't know if we can get an ambulance test unit. But the sad thing is, most PCSO units are restricted simply because the PCSO doesn't want people joyriding or carrying lechon ( ) in their units. A hospital will be billed for the total cost of the unit for infractions... (under the PCSO deal, the hospital only pays half).

I'll try to ask around. Maybe the Foton people have a unit that's not accounted for yet.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    silverworks,
    How old is your unit? PCSO unit ba siya?

niky,
    Any reasonable way we can grab a View test unit? :D
    Otep
    Nope, It's not, AFAIK they bought it last year, I'll try to ask our ambulance driver if ano model niya.. Till now they still used the PCSO/GMA donated ambulance van, lol Pero the proton is spacious inside, unlike the mitsu units..

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Haven't driven that gen of Hiace. Obviously far off from the current D4D ones in all ways. Like I said, steering, acceleration and braking about what you'd expect. The clutch and shifter suck, but that can be down to the abused test unit. Power is okay but not spectacular. The oomph is more noticeable with the MPX.
    On paper, the "CRDi" (CRDi nga ba talaga? ) 4JB1-T engine seems to be much better than those of its dinosaur competitors including the L300, Urvan and previous gen Hiace. Especially for the Hiace, I find the 2.4L engine to be quite inadequate since it was barely enough to propel the Revo and the 3.0L isn't really that much better in terms of power. As for the clutch and brakes, would interchanging one from a Hiace be feasible?

I thought the MPX and the View use the same 4JB1-T "CRDi" engine? How do you say that the oomph is more noticeable in the MPX?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    On paper, the "CRDi" (CRDi nga ba talaga? ) 4JB1-T engine seems to be much better than those of its dinosaur competitors including the L300, Urvan and previous gen Hiace. Especially for the Hiace, I find the 2.4L engine to be quite inadequate since it was barely enough to propel the Revo and the 3.0L isn't really that much better in terms of power. As for the clutch and brakes, would interchanging one from a Hiace be feasible?

I thought the MPX and the View use the same 4JB1-T "CRDi" engine? How do you say that the oomph is more noticeable in the MPX?
    Because the MPX is much lighter. The View is a big heavy van.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Because the MPX is much lighter. The View is a big heavy van.
    So... is it true that they're CRDi (and isn't that a registered Hyundai/Kia trademark? )? They certainly don't sound like one, in fact they don't sound much different than the NHR, and their power output isn't any different from the NHR's either!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Wouldn't know without opening it up.

You can have Common Rail Direct Injection without having high power... not all direct injection systems are high power / high pressure. Their engine certainly isn't as punchy as Hyundai's older 2.5 CRDi models, but it's decent enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Foton View vs. Foton View?