New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Foton View 15 seat passenger van vs. Foton view Ambulance that is.

From the outside they are different in:
    *Front fascia
    *Different body graphics/sticker design
    Inside:
    *More modern dashboard on the passenger van
    *Lockable center console on passenger van
    *Rear a/c up to last row on passenger van (ambulance model only has them on the b-pillar like the old Nissan Urvan)

QUESTION: I know they share the same name but what are the other differences between the two models?
    *Are the engines the same? From what engines are the Foton engines 'copied' from?
    *Are the wheelbases different? The height is obviously different (ambulance has standing room)
    *Do the units come with a tachometer?
    *How is the durability/reliability of this model?

Thank you.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    QUESTION: I know they share the same name but what are the other differences between the two models?
    *Are the engines the same? From what engines are the Foton engines 'copied' from?
    *Are the wheelbases different? The height is obviously different (ambulance has standing room)
    *Do the units come with a tachometer?
    *How is the durability/reliability of this model?
    1. Same engines on the two variants. The engine is "based " from Isuzu.
    2. Based on my observation from the pictures, same lang yung wheelbase.
    3. No tachometer comes standard.
    4. Let's wait for years time.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Controls are terrible, but compared to the clunky stuff in Japanese models like the Isuzu NKR or L300, just about par for the course. Definitely not enjoyable to drive.

The View has no ABS, and the brake balance feels a whole lot too rear-biased (you can likely understand what's wrong with that, no need to explain it further in public )... with the heavier rear of the ambulance, plus the weight of equipment, it should be just right. We have a View Ambulance at the hospital, I can ask the motorpool for the keys sometime to check it out, but there's a strict PCSO restriction on non-emergency use.

If I recall, the engines are supposed to be Isuzu based. You could "upgrade" to an "Isuzu" engine on the old Blizzard, but whether this means a real Isuzu engine or a licensed Chinese Isuzu engine, I don't know. I think they now come as standard.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Any idea which Isuzu engine? And was it a good Isuzu engine? Parts and maintenance wise, madami po bang available for that particular engine.

The body is obviously from a Hiace so I guess, most parts will interchange.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Re: wheelbase

I think the passenger van is a bit longer. I just found these photos a few minutes ago and the distance between the sliding door opening and the rear wheel well seems longer on the passenger van. However the website does not provide any useful information as to the actual measurement.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    We have the Foton ambulance on our hosp. unfortunately they're not using it anymore, 'cause of intermittent starting problems, and very harsh ride, weak aircon. Natatakot baka Itirik kame sa highway if ever may long trips..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Niky, Is there a huge difference between the driving feel of the passenger van and the ambulance? Huge meaning even a non-car guy will notice.

With regards to the brake bias, does it mean it's easy to lock up or can I modulate it using whatever marginal driving talent I have? Which controls feel terrible? I can live with bad steering feel and a vague shifter so long as its not really that bad. How about clutch take up?

How is the rigidity of the body? On my old Kia Besta, even at 2 months old, the front door window frames would flap, the ceiling would clap, and the sliding door and tailgate would shimmy when I hit a pretty bad bump. Is this the same for the Foton? Not to mention the dashboard started to have a bad rattle when I upgraded the stereo head unit (the new unit was heavier than stock).

I drive a Nissan Urvan (the old E24 ones) ambulance and everything feels ancient. No one even bothered to upgrade the dashboard on that thing and it rattles like hell for a 5 year old vehicle. When I'm behind the wheel of a Nissan Urvan Grand Estate or Toyota Hiace Grandia ambulance the difference is very appparent.

Sorry for posting so many questions. Medyo OT na. I'd still like people to chime in on the difference between the two units if they have any info.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    silverworks,
    How old is your unit? PCSO unit ba siya?

niky,
    Any reasonable way we can grab a View test unit? :D

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You CAN modulate it... but in an emergency stop, the wrong tires seem to lock up first. Which is dangerous.

Steering, shifter, pedals... about similar to an L300 or an Urvan. The clutch on the test unit sucked balls. Hard as a rock. I can chime in on differences with the ambulance if ever I get ahold of it, but they're very strict with the keys.

The MPX, on the other hand, actually drives pretty decently. Reminiscent of early Starexes. The pick-ups drive much better, but again, without ABS, too easy to lock the rears when unladen, but you won't have horrific visions of flipping over and dying in a fiery crash when they do...

Don't know about durability. Ours is too new. But as said here and as I've heard elsewhere, flimsy trim and body, as well as minor electricals (starter, various motors) are the common complaints. Definitely fixable if you know the right Japanese parts to put in.

As for the Isuzu, I've heard it was the 4JB, but I'm not sure.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The MP-X has ABS and EBD if I recall right? I don't know what OEM tires go on the View and MPX, though. But I don't expect them to be anything near stellar. Maybe another set of light truck tires is a good first mod.

I'm also wondering about the ride quality. Would it be too far off the old Urvan?

And would the Passenger Van's wrap around rear a/c be more effective than the single point a/c of the ambulance?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Foton View vs. Foton View?