-cheaper and simpler to maintain (IMHO)
    -smoother and more powerful engine

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    hehe, gasoline engine is better in this case

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by herbularyo
    I own a 2.5 D4D. I get 10Km/L on mix city / highway use.

Accelaration is subjective IMO
    thanks! I think I'll go for the 2.5 d4d, 102hp is sufficient for me. Im used to driving my isuzu TFR and gen1 pajero w/c I think has roughly 80horses. I dont need to go really fast in a big car anyways. The strada has 100hp and drives ok. Thanks for all your response.... except for tebs, bilog and herbularyo, do all you have a fortuner also?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bilog
    if you are into fuel economy your better off with the 2.5d4d. my 2.7 gets me 6km/l on city driving. on highway from manila to batangas with an average speed of 90kph i get 9km/l.
    never tried these vehicles so, I would go for Bilog's advice because he owns one. and also read the fuel comsumption on fortuner 2.5D and 3.0D thread. they can go over 8km/l on city driving

Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    my take on the fortuner:

diesel is good, gas is just adequate. blame the tranny?. the gas version is just adequate for puttering around the metro. though I would hesitatto overtake with it going up an incline. the diesel version is just superb! its full power though comes alive at around 3K rpm. I wonder how these engines would behave on a manual tranny. am not really fond of toyota's auto tranny.
    yup, yup, yup. diesels are really good on busy streets, it doesn't use much revs. so more revs can be used if you want to overtake quickly. personaly, I think diesels are best and more fuel effecient to heavy vehicles.

so Diesel kana kasi malaki ang fortuner Imo, Gas lang kapag small vehicles and on straight highways lang ang biyahi mo.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by usokpower
    The fortuner is actually light, dont be fooled by its bulky looks. WE own a
    hilux 4x2 and its engine is the 2.5litre and its weight is 2650kg. Our
    fortuner 3.0litre with a 4x4 tranny weighs only at 2510kg as indicated
    in the sales invoice. So it would probably be safe to assume that the fortuner G version probably weighs around 2400kg
    let's not get confused here, there's a big difference between a curb weight and the gross vehicle weight.

Curb Weight is the actual weight of the truck without any passengers or cargo in it. It’s the base weight that is used in subtraction to calculate the total weight of the passengers and cargo.

Gross Vehicle Weight is the total weight of the loaded vehicle. This includes the vehicle itself and the cargo that is loaded within that vehicle.

Hilux 2.5 D4D
    curb weight = 1655 kg gross weight = 2,650

Fortuner 3.0 D4D
    curb weight = 1945 kg gross weight = 2,510 kg

Fortuner 2.5 D4D
    curb weight = 1805 kg gross weight = ?

Conclusion: Fortuner is heavier than the hilux. Hilux has higher load capacity.

as to the sufficiency of the braking power of the Fortuner : more than adequate. it has load sensing, proportioning and bypass valve brake system and the electronic brake distribution system as well as with the anti lock brake system.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TFR
    thanks! I think I'll go for the 2.5 d4d, 102hp is sufficient for me. Im used to driving my isuzu TFR and gen1 pajero w/c I think has roughly 80horses. I dont need to go really fast in a big car anyways. The strada has 100hp and drives ok. Thanks for all your response.... except for tebs, bilog and herbularyo, do all you have a fortuner also?
    Hope you get your Fortuner soon.

Try also to visit the tambayan of Fortuner owners:

http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/index.php

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TFR
    yes i have and it is shown on my sig...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lexus
    let's not get confused here, there's a big difference between a curb weight and the gross vehicle weight.

Curb Weight is the actual weight of the truck without any passengers or cargo in it. It’s the base weight that is used in subtraction to calculate the total weight of the passengers and cargo.

Gross Vehicle Weight is the total weight of the loaded vehicle. This includes the vehicle itself and the cargo that is loaded within that vehicle.

Hilux 2.5 D4D
    curb weight = 1655 kg gross weight = 2,650

Fortuner 3.0 D4D
    curb weight = 1945 kg gross weight = 2,510 kg

Fortuner 2.5 D4D
    curb weight = 1805 kg gross weight = ?

Conclusion: Fortuner is heavier than the hilux. Hilux has higher load capacity.

as to the sufficiency of the braking power of the Fortuner : more than adequate. it has load sensing, proportioning and bypass valve brake system and the electronic brake distribution system as well as with the anti lock brake system.

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

Curb weight

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Curb weight is the total weight of an automobile with standard equipment, oil, lubricants, coolant, a full tank of fuel and not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

This definition may differ from definitions used by governmental regulatory agencies.

Additionally, organizations may define curb weight with fixed levels of fuel and other variables to equalize the value for the comparison of different vehicles.

It is generally provided as a statistic about automobile weights, along with gross weight, which represents the weight of an automobile when fully loaded. The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle.

Please note that curb weight is different than dry weight

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'll go with the 2.7L VVTi engine.

Power delivery isn't really that smooth (like other VVTi engines) and fuel consumption can be a concern...

Acceleration is a bit sluggish at first... but once you get past the 4K mark, things start to speed up quiet fast.

Plus, it seems that the maintenance & longevity of the VVTi engine is more assured than that of the problematic D4D engine.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    If you're into fuel economy, go for the 2.5d4d. City driving does not go below 9km/li; my average city driving is 10km/li; imagine the mileage for highway drives.

I used to own a 1.6VVTi altis where I averaged 10-11km/li in city driving; 2.7VVTi is almost double of the altis, hence, even if the VVTi engine is fuel efficient, expect an increase in gas budget. With this simple arithmetic, I opted for the 2.5d4d.

My actual experience: 1.6VVTi altis fuel consumption is equivalent to my 2.5d4d's.

Engine power is much, much more than the ordinary AUVs (crosswind, etc.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Fortuner 2.7vvti vs 2.5 d4d