New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Please enlighten me guys. Im thinking of buying a fortuner this coming month and im choosing between the gas and diesel version(the 3.0l would be nice but out of the budget) The agent is convincing me to get the gas version since economy wise they are almost the same daw. Since the d4d has only 102hp and has a heavy body, it will consume a lot of fuel as compared to th 160hp gas version to keep it going. Any of you has a first hand experience on this?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    if you are into fuel economy your better off with the 2.5d4d. my 2.7 gets me 6km/l on city driving. on highway from manila to batangas with an average speed of 90kph i get 9km/l.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    any figure for the d4d?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 3.0 and 2.7 have almost identical numbers in the city, but on the highway, the superior torque of the 3.0 allows it to give decent economy.

I'm betting the 2.5 will give you the best economy in the city, but it'll be almost as slow as an AUV with all the weight... traditional AUV, ha, not the Innova.

In other words, it'll probably be as slow as a Crosswind but sip diesel like one.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    There are pros and cons between the two variants.

Gasoline

- smoother
    - faster
    - fuel aside, likely cheaper to maintain

Diesel

- more torque - more hauling ability
    - more fuel efficient

If you read the C! magazine issue wherein they tested both the 3.0 D-4D and the 2.7 VVTi, there's only a slight difference in economy.

I guess the gas version won't hurt, but when it comes to medium SUVs, diesels always get my nod.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    2.5 d4d na lang pre. mahal sobra gasolina ngaun. hindi pa consistent ang gasoline engine. even if 5km/liter ang fortuner 2.7vvti as they say, often times mas mababa pa dun ang nakukuha mo. unlike the diesel one. kahit may varying driving habits ka. for example, heavy foot on a tuesday, heavy bumper to bumper traffic on wednesday, but other days naman eh relaxed ka at light footed. yun average consumption ng diesel hindi gano lumalayo.

with gas sobra unpredictable, minsan I loose 50-60km on the same amount of full tank.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Take note of the problems that's been affecting D4D especially 2.5 variants. For me, 102 hp is not adequate enough for a body such as that of a Fortuner. Better go for 2.7VVTi variant so no worries. Even in Thailand I've read that more people buying the gas variant lately.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I own a 2.5 D4D. I get 10Km/L on mix city / highway use.

Accelaration is subjective IMO

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by TFR
    Please enlighten me guys. Im thinking of buying a fortuner this coming month and im choosing between the gas and diesel version(the 3.0l would be nice but out of the budget) The agent is convincing me to get the gas version since economy wise they are almost the same daw. Since the d4d has only 102hp and has a heavy body, it will consume a lot of fuel as compared to th 160hp gas version to keep it going. Any of you has a first hand experience on this?

The fortuner is actually light, dont be fooled by its bulky looks. WE own a
    hilux 4x2 and its engine is the 2.5litre and its weight is 2650kg. Our
    fortuner 3.0litre with a 4x4 tranny weighs only at 2510kg as indicated
    in the sales invoice. So it would probably be safe to assume that the fortuner G version probably weighs around 2400kg.

We get an average consumption of 11-13km/litre city driving in our hilux.
    Engine power is decent, but if your looking for the "omph" to accelerate from 40-90kph in an instant. Then this is not the engine for you.

I guess the fortuner is slower in terms of acceleration compared to the
    hilux due to its larger wheels.

But if your used to drive pickups or diesel utility vehicles during the 80's
    or 90's. The 2.5litre version is powerful and economical enough.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    ako ill go with a 2.7 gas. kunti lang naman diff ng gas and diesel. less maintainance pa. tahimik ang engine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Fortuner 2.7vvti vs 2.5 d4d