New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Syempre yung diesel! Never mind what they say. Napakalayo in terms of performance and gas mileage. Kahit kapag parehong 2.0L, the diesel will smoke the gas and still drink lesser fuel. Maintenance? sa dami ng naipon mo from gas savings, it shouldn't sting too much. Besides, paminsan-minsan lang naman ang maintenance eh. Besides, it will all be very much worth it.
    I haven't driven the gas-fed Focus, but I've driven its cousin, the Mazda 3 2.0R, which it shares the same engine with. I don't think "napakalayo" ng performance - the S-VT/Duratec engine can compete right against the current crop of TOTL compacts.

That said, torquey diesels always impress me, and coupled with 10 km/L of city driving, the Fiesta TDCi is simply on a league of its own.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hmm~ I may have worded it a bit too heavily, but you probably get my point. A 2.0L gas would give good performance in a smooth linear sort of way, wherein the TDCi would be simply brutal.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    I would rather go for the Ford Focus TDCi with powershift (automatic). But this will be at least P600K and up.
    yeah, ok lang din sa akin yung powershift, mas bago, less isipin sa maintenance. yung nga lang higher price and my wife wants to learn manual. mahirap na pag nag umpisa ng matic baka ayaw na matuto ng manual eh.

have also tried the mazda 3 2.0, ok naman sya, havent driven it that long. ang naisip ko nga lang sa ganun eh, 2.0 sya, hindi matipid :p

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Kung purist ka, mas engaging parin talaga ang traditional manual tranny. Besides, diesel manuals are fairly easy to drive. Much easier than gas manuals since there is very abundant low end torque which prevents stalling even in the most difficult situations.

O baka gusto mo rin ipag-isipan ang Kia Carens CRDi. 2.0 diesel din, 6 speed manual din. Your wife will probably prefer this one what with the huge increase in cargo space and also the extended seating capacity.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by turnpike View Post
    yeah, ok lang din sa akin yung powershift, mas bago, less isipin sa maintenance. yung nga lang higher price and my wife wants to learn manual. mahirap na pag nag umpisa ng matic baka ayaw na matuto ng manual eh.

have also tried the mazda 3 2.0, ok naman sya, havent driven it that long. ang naisip ko nga lang sa ganun eh, 2.0 sya, hindi matipid :p

Unless you plan to buy a manual tranny car, your wife could go to driving automatics without learning how to do a manual. Although ideally we all should learn how to drive a stick, buying a car with a stick just to learn how to drive a stick isn't a practical reason to buy a car. If she wants to learn how to drive a stick, it might be better to sign up in a driving school.

Anyway, I was searching a couple of days ago for used Ford Focus TDCi and currently they are priced between P600K to P900K depending on the year it was first bought.

Driving the TDCI PS, there is abundant power to accelerate the car from a stop. Driving it at slow speeds (like a traffic crawl), you might find the tranny being a bit rough to drive, seemingly preferring to crawl a bit faster than the traffic's pace. On the open roads like a highway, it's effortless requiring only the lightest of pedal pressures to maintain the speedlimit.

When I first drove the Focus (Hatch) TDCI PS, the suspension was very stiff & hard. It was a test unit. I guess Ford later used softer suspension for the regular production units because the next time I drove a Focus TDCI PS test unit, it gave me a more comfortable ride on normal city roads including the humps, bumps and potholes.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 3rd, 2012 at 12:21 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    hmmm, ganda nga yan sir. yan yung original kong gusto, pang pamilya talaga. hindi ba mahirap dalhin to kung sakaling ipang araw araw?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Unless you plan to buy a manual tranny car, your wife could go to driving automatics without learning how to do a manual. Although ideally we all should learn how to drive a stick, buying a car with a stick just to learn how to drive a stick isn't a practical reason to buy a car. If she wants to learn how to drive a stick, it might be better to sign up in a driving school.

Anyway, I was searching a couple of days ago for used Ford Focus TDCi and currently they are priced between P600K to P900K depending on the year it was first bought.

Driving the TDCI PS, there is abundant power to accelerate the car from a stop. Driving it at slow speeds (like a traffic crawl), you might find the tranny being a bit rough to drive, seemingly preferring to crawl a bit faster than the traffic's pace. On the open roads like a highway, it's effortless requiring only the lightest of pedal pressures to maintain the speedlimit.

When I first drove the Focus (Hatch) TDCI PS, the suspension was very stiff & hard. It was a test unit. I guess Ford later used softer suspension for the regular production units because the next time I drove a Focus TDCI PS test unit, it gave me a more comfortable ride on normal city roads including the humps, bumps and potholes.
    hmmm, baka na smoothen out na nila yung ride, second hand din naman kasi yung kukunin ko. and the usual ride would be coming from SLEX. as for the transmission, gusto kasi ni wife na manual din para masanay before getting an automatic. though maganda suggestion din yung mag driving school sya. itll be a big help.

as for me, hehe, well ive always been a manual driver. grew up around my uncles kasi na diesel/manual ang trip kaya na acquire ko.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    yung carens?? ayos lang pang araw araw yan kasi parang kotse lang din... magaan ang steering, medyo mahirap lang parking kasi medyo mahaba yan compared sa focus... yung handling madanda parang kotse din.. hindi ka naman siguro parang race car driver mag pa takbo...hehehe

lakas din ng hatak ng carens.. may pull back to seat effect.. kahit mga motor kaya mo unahan sa stop light... magugulat sila sa bilis ng arangkada nyan.. lalo na siguro yung focus diesel

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by turnpike View Post
    hmmm, baka na smoothen out na nila yung ride, second hand din naman kasi yung kukunin ko. and the usual ride would be coming from SLEX. as for the transmission, gusto kasi ni wife na manual din para masanay before getting an automatic. though maganda suggestion din yung mag driving school sya. itll be a big help.

as for me, hehe, well ive always been a manual driver. grew up around my uncles kasi na diesel/manual ang trip kaya na acquire ko.

I grew up with a manual tranny but these days I prefer having an automatic because of the traffic in the metro since I live and work in metro manila.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    yung carens?? ayos lang pang araw araw yan kasi parang kotse lang din... magaan ang steering, medyo mahirap lang parking kasi medyo mahaba yan compared sa focus... yung handling madanda parang kotse din.. hindi ka naman siguro parang race car driver mag pa takbo...hehehe

lakas din ng hatak ng carens.. may pull back to seat effect.. kahit mga motor kaya mo unahan sa stop light... magugulat sila sa bilis ng arangkada nyan.. lalo na siguro yung focus diesel
    i'll take a look at this again. idadagdag ko na sa listahan ko, hehe.

I grew up with a manual tranny but these days I prefer having an automatic because of the traffic in the metro since I live and work in metro manila.
    how does the sequential shift fair? ang nagamit ko pa lang na plus/minus shifting is yung sa lancer invecs2 ata, at nadismaya ako. ah yung sa honda city din pala, nagamit ko, medyo may delay, yung buttons nya sa likod para akong naglalaro ng GT using a logitech driving wheel, very digital. sa medyo twisty road, ok ba yung AT trans? or yung sa sequential shift?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast