New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hey all.

It's about time to replace our family's almost 10 year old Camry (ACV30, 2.4V, Late 2003). Half driver-driven (with parents) and half self-driven. All in all, we're generally very happy with this car but medyo old na kasi hehe. Used for city driving and the occasional out of town trips.

Timeframe - As early as the release of the 2012 Camry/CRV/Whatever, but willing to wait maybe a year.

Budget: <2M

Parameters (in no particular order)
    1. Looks/Quality (exterior/interior)
    2. Maintenance costs
    3. Fuel Economy
    4. Price
    5. INTERIOR SPACE & COMFORT <-- Important, should be about the same or better as our Camry.
    6. Resale Value - I'll take it that executive sedans have poorer resale than SUVs/CUVs in general?

We're looking at the traditional suspects: (FMC) Accord, (FMC) Camry + Sonata, and throwing in some of the newer CUVs and SUVs.

1. Accord - Any news on the full model change Accord? Searched on the net, pati yung Tokyo Motor Show 2011, Honda is kinda mum on this. If this is anything like the current gen, I'd prefer this.

2. Camry - Seems to be the default choice. The new one seems to be winning Toyota fans in the reviewers lately.

3. Sonata Premium
    - Looker, #3 runner since my parents would prefer the T and the non-italicized H.

4. CRV - The new one seems nice. Not sure if the interior space could match our Camry though.

5. RAV4 - Any word on a redesign? The current model still looks nice but it's probably due for a replacement anytime soon. Also, same concern as the CRV, not sure if the interior space would actually suffice. Hard to look for this in the showrooms.

6. Tucson CRDi - 2.0L Gas model of my sister uses more gas than our 2.4L Camry. Our Camry does 7KM/L in our daily route. The 2.0L Tucson can do as low as 6. Don't really like the steering but we could consider the diesel variant. Interior smaller than our current Camry though. Seems to be even smaller than the CRV/RAV?

7. CX7 - Parang malakas sa gas? Probably need more feedback.

8. Montero - How's the ride on this?

9. Fortuner - No compelling reason to get this. Vehicle too old. Unless I'm mistaken?

10. Sta Fe - I hear the new model is coming out soon?

11. Any other cars I should be looking at?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    1. Accord - Any news on the full model change Accord? Searched on the net, pati yung Tokyo Motor Show 2011, Honda is kinda mum on this. If this is anything like the current gen, I'd prefer this.
    No word yet. The current Accord is still one of the biggest sedans you can buy. Great car.

2. Camry - Seems to be the default choice. The new one seems to be winning Toyota fans in the reviewers lately.
    Hard to say. The US Camry is different from the local one. Not impressed with the plastics and interior of the current Asian-spec Camry versus cars like the Teana or Accord. Definitely better than the older Camry, but is just plain better enough for you?

3. Sonata Premium - Looker, #3 runner since my parents would prefer the T and the non-italicized H.
    Just have them sit in one at the showroom or get a test-drive. If they change their minds, good! If not, well... their choice. Only issue with the Sonata, I don't think it's as roomy as the T and H, and with a 2.4 gasser and a relatively heavy kit (dual sunroof, all power, etcetera) it might not be very economical, but the difference shouldn't be so bad.

4. CRV - The new one seems nice. Not sure if the interior space could match our Camry though.
    Ride is a bit better than pre-facelift, but not by that much. Interior space of the CR-V is awesome, and the new leather on the 2.4 is very nice... dark leather, unlike the easily damaged beige on our CR-V. Fuel economy is so-so compared to the front-wheel drive Camry and Accord, because the CR-V is AWD.

5. RAV4 - Any word on a redesign? The current model still looks nice but it's probably due for a replacement anytime soon. Also, same concern as the CRV, not sure if the interior space would actually suffice. Hard to look for this in the showrooms.
    Don't even bother. Overpriced. It's nice, mind you, but not class-leading anymore.

6. Tucson CRDi - 2.0L Gas model of my sister uses more gas than our 2.4L Camry. Our Camry does 7KM/L in our daily route. The 2.0L Tucson can do as low as 6. Don't really like the steering but we could consider the diesel variant. Interior smaller than our current Camry though. Seems to be even smaller than the CRV/RAV?
    Diesel is definitely more frugal. What conditions do you drive in? The Tucson 2.0 6AT gets decent mileage on the highway. Back seat is definitely smaller than the CR-V, but it's not bad. The dual-sunroof diesel version is very nice. Soft ride (though sometimes bottoms out on bumps because of the adaptive suspension)... I'd be wary of maintenance costs for the adaptive suspension version, actually...

7. CX7 - Parang malakas sa gas? Probably need more feedback.
    It's okay compared to the CR-V, a little better because it's FWD. Interior and refinement are very good, but it's kinda bare and not as good to drive as you'd hope.

8. Montero - How's the ride on this?
    Not terrible, but not great. Fuel economy in traffic is so-so, because even though it's a diesel, it's a heavy car. It's still better than gasoline vehicles of the same size. Interior much better than Fortuner. Engine fantastic, but there's a lot of lag with the automatic. Don't get the manual, though, if you're driving yourself... clutch and shifter aren't great. Best variant is mid-range 4x2... has most of the toys of the GTV and is the best to drive.

9. Fortuner - No compelling reason to get this. Vehicle too old. Unless I'm mistaken?
    You can facelift it, you can change the seat foam, but you can't change the fact that it's still a Fortuner.

10. Sta Fe - I hear the new model is coming out soon?
    Haven't heard, but the current one is pretty good. Nice, pillowy ride, terrific diesel engine. Interior is okay, but Hyundai could do better. Either way, it's better than the previous Santa Fe interior, which felt kinda cheap and plasticky.

11. Any other cars I should be looking at?
    Sorento, maybe, as it's better than the Santa Fe, but the Santa Fe might be more suited to your parents. My dad still loves his after three or four years... despite having the Santa Fe with the tacky interior and the "150" hp engine... it's a big, comfortable cruiser that's great for family trips.

Depends on what you want... the Teana has the most luxurious interior for this kind of money, and the re-styling has made it look less... bland. It's pretty much an Infiniti with a Nissan badge at this point, and it outluxes the Accord and Camry. Only niggles I have with it are the poor driver ergonomics and lack of powered rear-seats, but the default rear seat position is comfortable. The soft suspension, CVT transmission and 2.5 liter V6 make this the smoothest car to ride in at this price level, period.

Not my type, though. Hehe.

After that, it's the Legacy (powah!), Mazda6 (might be too sporty for parents, but it gives you the most European-style ride here) and Galant. Good luck finding any dealer carrying Galants, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

Sorta summed up what I've been thinking.

Actually they've already sat in the Sonata Premium. The parents apparently aren't such fans of the rougher leather etc.

Sorento... hmm. I've suggested a Kia before. They don't seem to like it despite me telling them that it's essentially a Hyundai.

My parents loathe Nissan c/o bad experiences with our old Sentras (yes, plural) and the negative brand equity they have at the moment.

Considered the Legacy, but the transmission tunnel in the 2nd row saps a lot of the interior space, and I hear the FE isn't so good.

I guess we'll be crossing out the truck SUVs due to the not-so-okay ride, unless I can get them to pony up for a diesel Prado (we have an older LC120 and they're also happy with this)

The cars I *THINK* they'll be interested in the most next year:

1. FMC Accord
    2. FMC Camry
    3. FMC CR-V
    4. Cheaper redesigned RAV? (Wishful thinking!)

They're not too warm about the idea on purchasing cars at the end of the product lifecycle.

And to answer your question about our driving conditions - Daily driven, traffic-only city driving. No more than 25-30KM per day total. We have the occasional/rare highway trips down south though.

Really hoping the new Accord wasn't subjected to the same cost-cutting measures as the Civic.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    An all new body Accord is out of the question for next year (at in the Philippines). Maybe reach our shores within the 1st half of 2013.

All new body CRV will probably arrive in our shores by 4th quarter of 2012 . Earlier or later, depending on how Honda manages to restore their Ayuttaya plant.

An all new body RAV4 is definitely long overdue. This thing came out in Feb 2006 in our shores (late 2005 in the US). Yet the CRV (that came out in March 2007 in our shores) already has a replacement in the flesh already.

If you want an all new body vehicle/model without a year long wait, then your best bet will be the Camry. Toyota Phil. has already brought in a test mule for evaluation in our road conditions.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah... I hear you about brand equity... we had several Sentras (started with the California, had one B13 and four B14s) and a Vanette, and the decline in quality in the 90's up to 2000 was sad.

Don't know how it is now, but it should be better.

I have hopes that the Accord and Camry will be good and stay good. Despite the "cheapening" of interiors on cheaper Hondas and Toyotas, the more expensive models like the CR-V, RAV4, Accord and Camry still feel more special than their entry-level cars.

It's a vain hope to see a cheaper RAV4... unless somehow we can get a V6 version from Japan...

Then again... V6... Japan? Alphard? Really nice van, that. Captain's chairs in the second row... grunty V6... Camry-like driving dynamics... beyond the budget, but hey... it might be worth a look, just to dream. Hehehe.

I'm really hoping the new Camry will be better. The current one is already better than the old... more controlled body motion, ride still good... but it needs to step up its game in terms of material quality, steering feel and the other "intangibles" to stay ahead of the pack.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I'll go with Accord or Camry for family use. But if it just only me riding that car, I'll definitely go with a Sonata or maybe a Genesis perhaps?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    An all new body Accord is out of the question for next year (at in the Philippines). Maybe reach our shores within the 1st half of 2013.

All new body CRV will probably arrive in our shores by 4th quarter of 2012 . Earlier or later, depending on how Honda manages to restore their Ayuttaya plant.

An all new body RAV4 is definitely long overdue. This thing came out in Feb 2006 in our shores (late 2005 in the US). Yet the CRV (that came out in March 2007 in our shores) already has a replacement in the flesh already.

If you want an all new body vehicle/model without a year long wait, then your best bet will be the Camry. Toyota Phil. has already brought in a test mule for evaluation in our road conditions.
    Hopefully earlier. We're willing to wait naman. Pero ok sana, habang mataas pa resale ng current Camry namin. (Well, the perks of having a car with a decently high resale value become more evident now).

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yeah... I hear you about brand equity... we had several Sentras (started with the California, had one B13 and four B14s) and a Vanette, and the decline in quality in the 90's up to 2000 was sad.

Don't know how it is now, but it should be better.

I have hopes that the Accord and Camry will be good and stay good. Despite the "cheapening" of interiors on cheaper Hondas and Toyotas, the more expensive models like the CR-V, RAV4, Accord and Camry still feel more special than their entry-level cars.

It's a vain hope to see a cheaper RAV4... unless somehow we can get a V6 version from Japan...

Then again... V6... Japan? Alphard? Really nice van, that. Captain's chairs in the second row... grunty V6... Camry-like driving dynamics... beyond the budget, but hey... it might be worth a look, just to dream. Hehehe.

I'm really hoping the new Camry will be better. The current one is already better than the old... more controlled body motion, ride still good... but it needs to step up its game in terms of material quality, steering feel and the other "intangibles" to stay ahead of the pack.
    Yeah, I'm with you in hoping that the Accord / Camry stay on top of their game. The CRV/RAV4 coming in above expectations will be great too.

We actually tried the Alphard V6 when we were in the market for a van early this year. Pretty decent car. Very roomy and smooooth ride. Pero V6 gas e. Eventually decided on the Starex VGT cause we needed a family hauler that could carry cargo.

Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    I'll go with Accord or Camry for family use. But if it just only me riding that car, I'll definitely go with a Sonata or maybe a Genesis perhaps?
    If it's only me, Genesis Coupe / Subaru WRX all the way. But I'm happy with the vehicle I'm assigned to at the moment (FD M/T)

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    The spy-pictures of the new Toyota Camry looks great, but I'm not impressed enough ... for now at least. Guess I have to wait 'til I see it in flesh. So, I'd pick the current Toyota Camry 3.5Q as of the moment.

I like the Accord a lot -- flashy looks and bossy aura especially if it's shiny black or the elegant pearl-white. Hence I'd put this on the top of my list.

I somehow like the Nissan Teana too. Commendable looks and comfort. But then, your parents don't like Nissan but at least convince them to take a look. I'm sure Nissan has improved in a way.

Not considering the less elegant but more sporty, Mazda 6?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    i'd go for the premium sonata. best value for money + looks. i also like the teana but i've lost all confidence whatsoever sa nissan. is the VCM of honda reliable, or will this cause problems in the long run? camry's just a bit old already. so if i were to rank these:

Sedans:
    sonata
    accord
    camry
    teana

forget the galant

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mda_ View Post
    i'd go for the premium sonata. best value for money + looks. i also like the teana but i've lost all confidence whatsoever sa nissan. is the VCM of honda reliable, or will this cause problems in the long run? camry's just a bit old already. so if i were to rank these:

Sedans:
    sonata
    accord
    camry
    teana

forget the galant

Yes, I would rank it the same as yours minus the Teana. Would you also consider european mid size sedans? now, that's a different list.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Executive Sedans, CUVs, SUVs