New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Yes..you may need the all the luck esp. the year model you sought. Actually may makita ka mga unit na ito but they are refurbished and converted vehicles mostly Cebu-sourced.

Medyo na-fascinate din ako nito 2-3 years back but hold out...impractical to own and maintain in good running condition.

Ito suggestion lang po...better scale down to a Hyundai Coupe for practicality if you want to own a "sports car".

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I suggest you get the locally sold Silvia (200SX), it is equipped with SR20DET engine producing some 200hp. Comes with matic only, but you may have it changed easily, as there are alot of surplus tranny here that will easily bolt on to that engine.

It comes close to combining both cars too (Eclipse and MR2). It was locally sold. Rear drive, can be changed to a manual tranny, has rear seats. It still is a proper sports car , drifter too.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    what are you getting?

there is a Club MR2, try getting in touch with them, might be lucky to find one.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i agree with Jun, i vote for the MR2 Turbo. but i'm biased, i used to own one

also, he is correct that '95 was the last year, at least in the US. from 2000 onwards you get the girly (no offense hehe) MR Spyder :hihihi:

power is roughly equal, and both cars are extremely tunable. but the mid-engine MR2 handles like a dream compared to the Eclipse.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

also, he is correct that '95 was the last year, at least in the US. from 2000 onwards you get the girly (no offense hehe) MR Spyder :hihihi:

power is roughly equal, and both cars are extremely tunable. but the mid-engine MR2 handles like a dream compared to the Eclipse.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    The 2nd gen 4G63 7 bolt Eclipse & DSM's are prone to "crankwalk" and are very notorious for this problem.

A good condition MR2 is a better buy if you're lucky enough to find an original LHD unit.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post

Yup. I was there in Miami for the 1994 Futbol World cup. I never saw so many modded MR2 Turbos with HKS stickers as in that city.

The 2nd gen 4G63 7 bolt Eclipse & DSM's are prone to "crankwalk" and are very notorious for this problem.
    I had the 1st gen which was 5 bolts and didn't have that problem. Of course back then, I didn't realize the 2nd gen was problematic.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 3rd, 2008 at 05:29 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    thanks for the infos you guys. I think I should really get the MR2 instead of the Eclipse. I sure do hope that I can have one with a good pricing too.

I should also probably contact the mr2 club for them to help me in finding one, but first I also have to sell my gsr.

For the Silvia, its a good car but I think the resale value of it after several years of use would depreciate BIG TIME. As far as I know, its not that popular and the maintenance and resale value has its negatives. So.... MR2 is going to be probably my choice! THANKS!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    dude get a copy of Carfinder Mag, there is an MR2 for sale 1.2M daw.

post pics ha? goodluck!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    1.2 M??? WHAAAT?! I won't spend that amount of money for a car. Hehe The mr2 that I might get is prior to the mr2 spyder. The ones we usually see.

Or is it that what you were trying to tell me? What/ When did carfinder issued that copy?

I was looking for the carfinder that i bought several months ago. Where there was this MR2 that was for sale in bulacan. Red, it was once 500k then repriced to 440 then 400 nlang. But i can't seem to find that issue inside our house. I even went to see the car at the owner's house. it was flawless and I really liked it, sadly I just bought my gsr those times. So with that I wasn't able to get the car. It was really sad looking at it then leaving it because you just bought a car. I wished he's ad could have been issued earlier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Eclipse vs Mr2