New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    I wanted to know which pick is better. Is it the Mitsubishi Eclipse or the Toyota Mr2?

Considering that they are both LOCAL & Manual Transmission.
    Also considering the practicality of getting 1: amount of the car (average) , the gas consumption, the resale value and of course the style of the car. (it's a sportscar, all wants to look good in it! )

the range would be model 95-99. The cars mostly people get from the us or from japan.... but, it must be Original Left-hand Drive, Manual.

thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drivefast View Post
    I wanted to know which pick is better. Is it the Mitsubishi Eclipse or the Toyota Mr2?

Considering that they are both LOCAL & Manual Transmission.
    Also considering the practicality of getting 1: amount of the car (average) , the gas consumption, the resale value and of course the style of the car. (it's a sportscar, all wants to look good in it! )

the range would be model 95-99. The cars mostly people get from the us or from japan.... but, it must be Original Left-hand Drive, Manual.

thanks guys!
    Stock, The 2G MR2 Turbo is awesome. RWD. The build quality was better. It's quicker and is a 2-seater. Of course back then, an MR2 Turbo cost almost twice as much as an AWD turbocharged Eclipse/Eagle Talon TSi AWD. It's only fair to point that out.

My choice would be the MR2 (and I use to own an HKS DSM turbo which I loved soooo much).

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    thanks! I just have to wait for more responses. And for the mean time, I also have to look for mr2s .. and maybe some eclipses for me to see that my money would be worth it.

thanks again, i gained useful informations!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would choose the MR2. The weight is lighter and it's RWD.

But if you want some degree of "practicality"... the MR2 only seats two while the Eclipse can seat four.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    mr2 :2 eclipse :0 ...

tnx!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The 2g MR2 Turbo also had an exotic car look to it. Many (including myself) thought it looked like a baby Ferrari.

I also consider it a true sports car. For sports car purists, there's no such thing as 4 doors or a back seat. Practicality isn't in the vocabulary. The only passenger allowed would be a gorgeous date.

Sports cars are supposed to be fast, look fast, and ***y which the MR2 Turbo did quite well. Too bad it's successor was much more wimpy and uglier.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Goodluck finding a Local and especially, Manual transmission unit of Eclipse. MMPh just released an Eclipse GT matic back in 98 locally. Also, it is a GT variant, means a turboed front driver. The GSX is a turbo all wheel drive unit.

Goodluck 2x as the MR2 Turbo, the top line performance oriented model, if you really like an orig left hand unit must come from the US. Also, if you specifically eyeing on the Turbo model, it was only available from 90-93 in the US because of the OBD-II emissions testing it was phased out. 94-96 models were only NA 2.2L engine and 5MT.

But between the two models per se, I like the MR2 better. Primarily because of its exotic lay out(MR). The local Eclipse being a front driver would give you about the same driving experience as, say, a modified turbocharged Lancer GSR.

I love the T-top and pop up lights too.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Goodluck finding a Local and especially, Manual transmission unit of Eclipse. MMPh just released an Eclipse GT matic back in 98 locally. Also, it is a GT variant, means a turboed front driver. The GSX is a turbo all wheel drive unit.

Goodluck 2x as the MR2 Turbo, the top line performance oriented model, if you really like an orig left hand unit must come from the US. Also, if you specifically eyeing on the Turbo model, it was only available from 90-93 in the US because of the OBD-II emissions testing it was phased out. 94-96 models were only NA 2.2L engine and 5MT.

But between the two models per se, I like the MR2 better. Primarily because of its exotic lay out(MR). The local Eclipse being a front driver would give you about the same driving experience as, say, a modified turbocharged Lancer GSR.

I love the T-top and pop up lights too.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I thought 1995 was the last model year of the MR2 Turbo in the US.

Personally with the Eclipse, I preferred the very first generation (pop-up headlights) over the much later 2G and the FWD over the AWD because the FWD ones are much lighter (by almost 300 lbs). The AWD version had no advantage over the FWD on the track. Most people liked the AWD version because there was no wheelspin or torque steer. It simply lunged forward. But, if you took the time to develop launch techniques and put on some gooey low profiles, the FWD version can be significantly quicker than the AWD version. That 300lb less weight really made a difference. In fact, a 1G Eclipse Turbo was lighter than an MR2 Turbo.

Anyway, I get teary-eyed when I reminesce about my DSM front driver..... The old sleeper never let me down....

http://www.allpar.com/model/laser.html

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The MR2 is more desirable, but the Eclipse will likely be more practical and easier to own...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Eclipse vs Mr2