New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I just drove beside an unfamiliar chevy this morning with CRUZE emlazoned on its plate number holders. hmmm. Apparently there's going to be a 2 liter diesel for the other markets. But not here. grrr.

If money were no object... the c30 or the 120d. if only. hehe

*just checked: 1.32 million nga ang Forte. no contest
    Last edited by scharnhorst; January 31st, 2010 at 12:05 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If this is a bachelor's 2.0L car---my choice would be the Lancer ---good combination of looks, driving mechanics, and engine performance.

It has the makings of a classic one. Vast improvement from the model it replaces. Standout form among its peers. Racing genes, too.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    *just checked: 1.32 million nga ang Forte. no contest

No wonder.

Afterall, it's a Kia ... knowing their pricing schemes, you wouldn't be really surprised if they attach a price like that on a compact sedan.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    The Civic 2.0S (no longer the S-L as of the 2009 MY) is priced way too high IMO.

The 2.0S loses:
    - curtain airbags
    - VSA
    - 6 cd HU
    - chrome door handles (not really such a biggie)

With a corresponding price 'drop' of less than 10k. Ayos to hahahaha.

No longer a good buy IMO. And I'm saying this with a bias to the civic (love your own parin, but the current 2.0S doesn't justify the price na).

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    IIRC, then the differences of the 1.8S and 2.0S Civic would just be:

- K20 engine over R18
    - Leather seats
    - HID
    - Auto Climate Control
    - Side-mirror repeaters
    - Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    - Chrome-tipped exhaust
    - 2 tweeters
    - 17" Rims

All this for a price of 140k. Maybe it's just me but I still think it's still pretty good for 1.1M. The bulk of the 140k probably goes to the engine. On the other hand, the identically priced Altis 2.0V is 180k more expensive than the 1.6V. For that 180k you get:

- 3ZR-FE engine over 3ZZ-FE
    - Leather seats
    - SmartKey feature
    - Rain-sensing wipers
    - Paddle-shifters
    - HID
    - Power-folding mirrors

For me they provide about the same bang-for-the-buck with the main gem of the Civic its engine and the Altis its toys. But still, 1.1M and NO AUX?!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RE: Civic: Worst in terms of ride is relative. It'd actually be okay if not for the seats... about par, I guess, with the Lancer. If I had a better back, I'd consider it. Despite the seats, I really, really like the car. Great ergonomics, great engines (both the 1.8 and 2.0) and good gearboxes (only gripe is the long 4th gears Honda uses). All that's needed is to give it a little softening, like they did with the Jazz.

If the Kia Forte has the 4B11 that's in the Lancer and the Kia Soul, then there's no doubting it'll be a powerful engine. Performance, though, will depend on the actual transmission that's in the car.

Kia is really hampered by CBU taxes. But then, Hyundai seems to get by. Maybe the local management doesn't care that their prices are too high... since people still apparently buy them, anyway.

The 120d is a fun toy... BUT... the stiffness of the run flats is horrible. As long as you don't drive over a gravel driveway everyday, though, it's acceptable, since the suspension itself isn't that bad. But personally, in that price range, I'd rather get a 320i, which is a bigger, better car than the 1-series.

Of course, if I were rich enough to have an M3 as a daily driver, I'd consider getting a 120i coupe as a back-up toy...
    Last edited by niky; January 31st, 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The Soul has the 4B11 as its engine too? I didn't know. The Forte, perhaps, since it has the exact same figures as the Lancer. But as per specsheets, the Soul only has 141 hp and 189 Nm of torque. Weird that they'd underrate it when the Soul is marketed as a hip and sporty box on wheels.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The Soul has the 4B11 as its engine too? I didn't know. The Forte, perhaps, since it has the exact same figures as the Lancer. But as per specsheets, the Soul only has 141 hp and 189 Nm of torque. Weird that they'd underrate it when the Soul is marketed as a hip and sporty box on wheels.
    Darn it... my mistake... the Soul actually has the older Beta engine, as in the Tucson... the Forte will have the same Theta/4B11 engine that's in the Coupe and the Lancer. (Same as in same block and general design... the Mitsubishi variant has different sensors and electronics...)

Bugs me why Hyundai Kia have two different 2.0s when they could just use one... although, to note... the engine note of the weaker Beta engine is nicer than that of the Theta...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My guess is that the Soul was supposed to be a low-priced fun car hence the cost-cutting on its engines. Then Kia Philippines trashes the whole concept and sells the car at an exhorbitant 1.32M.

The funny thing is that Hyundai sells the 4B11T-derived Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 for the same price.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    My guess is that the Soul was supposed to be a low-priced fun car hence the cost-cutting on its engines. Then Kia Philippines trashes the whole concept and sells the car at an exhorbitant 1.32M.

The funny thing is that Hyundai sells the 4B11T-derived Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 for the same price.
    Yeah... it's a shame... because the Soul is a very good car. Just 400k too much. But then, Hyundai's local HARI arm has better marketing and more coordination than the local Kia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Duelo de Dos Litros