New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    medyo biased din ako dahil i own one....
    the corolla....

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ceekeigh View Post
    I own a Corolla GLI than I plan to sell to get a Civic. Ito naman nakita ko Civic ESI with a D15B VTEC engine. Converted daw to sabi nila. Not much of a car guru as this would be my 2nd car pa lang. Oks na po ba to?
    If you are going for the ESi, may as well find one that still has the stock PH16 and manual transmission.

You don't want to inherit any potential issues from the D15B transplant.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    medyo biased din ako dahil i own one....
    the corolla....
    Same here. Ive owned both models (AE92, AE101, AE111, Gen 9.5 and Gen 10.5 Corollas, and an EK, ES and we have an FD which I use at times). The Corollas were generally better overall but the Civics were more fun to drive.

In the end, Corolla pa rin.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Wow Vinj you've had all Corolla models since the small body came out. So are you buying a Gen 11 Altis?

My vote is for the Corolla as well.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Wow Vinj you've had all Corolla models since the small body came out. So are you buying a Gen 11 Altis?

My vote is for the Corolla as well.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    Techincally, the ones i've really owned are the Gen 9.5 and Gen 10.5; the rest were family cars that i used back in HS and college. I wrecked one in HS (the AE92) after a ditch refused to get out of the way and let me pass (gee i thought i was driving fast enough to fly over it... just like in the movies) . The AE101 i used in college and it was a TRD unit with a tampered mileage (we bought i with only 70,000kms on the odo, and later discovered it had over 150,000kms already and heavily damaged at one point). I learned a lot from that car and that's where I also first realized how sturdy the Corolla was because in spite of the high mileage and abuse by the previous owner, it was running very well with minimal repair works. The weakest in terms of engine durability was probably the AE111 which had the 2E engine (1.3L); it busted it's piston rings and was our only 'Rolla that needed an overhaul. The upside was it was cheap to repair even with OEM parts.

Gen 11? Most likely if i am in a market for a sedan that will definitely get the first look alongside the Accent hatchback, but the next time i can buy a car, i need to get a family sized vehicle of my own.
    Last edited by vinj; January 21st, 2014 at 09:33 AM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    we had a corolla GLi before back in my college days. okay naman reliable pero medyo disappointed kami sa performance ng A/C. if you can stretch your budget a little bit more I highly recommend get a Civic EK na lang. I'm saying this based on first-hand experience

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Up your budget a bit then get an SiR.
    More power plus newer too.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Corolla since Im a 3 generation corolla user myself. Lots of parts and affordable. Civic ESI does have rust issues, not sure about the availability of the spare parts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Corolla GLi or Civic ESi. Which is Good Buy?