New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    im planning to buy a car by january...can someone help me pros and cons of a converted 2nd hand cars?? (japan surplus) i just wanna know the feedbacks...dunno if thy're safe... thnx to d one will help...im new here so spare a lot of patience of my ignorance

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    They're reasonably safe if well done, but you still have to convert/re-aim the headlights, fix the mirrors (some trucks have smaller mirrors on the right side) and make sure the alignment is correct.

But there are a thousand ways to botch the conversion, so there's always some risk involved in buying one.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    You're better off buying a locally purchased second hand vehicle than a converted one. A lot of things could go wrong with the conversion which could be a safety hazard.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    what car (brand/model) to be exact?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    They're reasonably safe if well done, but you still have to convert/re-aim the headlights, fix the mirrors (some trucks have smaller mirrors on the right side) and make sure the alignment is correct.

But there are a thousand ways to botch the conversion, so there's always some risk involved in buying one.
    I agree. From the accident at NLEX a week or two ago, I'd say even the tires may be suspect.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    I have had my surplus/converted 3 door Pajero, 2.8 (4m40) for 4 loyal years now. I have always wanted a 3 door Paj because of the better power to weight ratio. I bought it from a local dealer here in our province.

It has had its fair share of wear and tear repairs and replacements on aircon, engine, some minor electrical nicks but none on the steering components. Pitman arm, steering shaft, box and what-have-you are all intact despite my weekend abuse on mountain trailing. For me it is quite impressive despite the fact that the steering kit isn't from the original conversion kit.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    same here, my 5 door subic pajero has been with me for 3 years, steering system is still good. Nothing wrong with converted units as long as the price is justified and the conversion job is within standard. But if you do not know anything about these things and you do't have a trusted mechanic or knowledgable friend to guide you on things.. better go for the local units... but then being local is not a guarantee.

Btw, I heard the accident in NLEX was caused by a tire that got blown. Imported vehicles may have "expired" tires on them since they have been in storage for too long. Better invest on new tires. These are not limited only to imported cars.. even local ones with poor or substandard tires are prone to these..

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not just expired.. check out what tires are on the converted units... if they're "M+S" tires or they have lots and lots of tiny sipes in the tread (fine lines going across the tread block), they're snow tires... which should not be used in tropical conditions, as they wear down quickly and get damaged easily when used in warm, dry conditions. A tsikoteer lost control of his car a while back because he never took those snow tires off when he bought it.

I know a lot of people, personally, who are happy with their Subic-imported vehicles... but there are so many things that can go wrong if you're the first buyer... improper papers, poor conversion, improper representation (vehicle being sold as a "2003" when it's actually a 1995... etcetera)... that it's not something to do unless you're reasonably good at inspecting and verifying vehicles, or if it's a really close friend or relative who's importing them.

You can get a much better deal on a local vehicle of the same kind... no problems with mis-aligned headlights, doors on the wrong side or weird steering... but, of course, you'll have to spend more.

Remember, you get what you pay for. If they're selling it to you for really cheap... it's your duty to find out why... ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Try looking for a locally sourced second hand vehicle that would be easy to maintain and parts are readily available bro, considering that this would be your first car purchase (which i am assuming. . ). But if you want to consider converted units bring along a trusted mekaniko when you are hunting.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Remember, you get what you pay for. If they're selling it to you for really cheap... it's your duty to find out why... ;)
    That's right. Marami ng na-biktima ng super low or steal prices so be careful. There's always a catch somewhere :spider:

converted 2nd hand cars?