New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    why kaya hindi release ng toyota ang harrier sa pinas? may nakita ako sa ibang bansa, bagong labas na harrier i was like toyota yun? kala ko lexus or honda at first. quickly googled and see the price is almost cheaper or on par with fortuner.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by screws View Post
    why kaya hindi release ng toyota ang harrier sa pinas? may nakita ako sa ibang bansa, bagong labas na harrier i was like toyota yun? kala ko lexus or honda at first. quickly googled and see the price is almost cheaper or on par with fortuner.
    Won't be the same when it gets here.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say this... but again... much of local prices are tax. There's sales tax, ad valorem, VAT... even if the Fortuner is made within the ASEAN Free Trade zone, it still gets slapped with taxes. Around 15-20%, I believe.

The Harrier is basically a plus sized RAV4, made in Japan.

The RAV4 already costs 50-100k more than the Fortuner.

A Harrier would likely cost 100-150k more than the RAV4.

Pointless to sell it here. Especially since people who want a midsized truck between the RAV4/Fort and the Prado can get the FJ Cruiser... which is selling like hotcakes and gets extra JPEPA tax breaks because it has a 4.0, while the Harrier has a smaller engine that doesn't qualify for those tax breaks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Won't be the same when it gets here.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say this... but again... much of local prices are tax. There's sales tax, ad valorem, VAT... even if the Fortuner is made within the ASEAN Free Trade zone, it still gets slapped with taxes. Around 15-20%, I believe.

The Harrier is basically a plus sized RAV4, made in Japan.

The RAV4 already costs 50-100k more than the Fortuner.

A Harrier would likely cost 100-150k more than the RAV4.

Pointless to sell it here. Especially since people who want a midsized truck between the RAV4/Fort and the Prado can get the FJ Cruiser... which is selling like hotcakes and gets extra JPEPA tax breaks because it has a 4.0, while the Harrier has a smaller engine that doesn't qualify for those tax breaks.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    im not saying that it will be cheaper than the fort but i think the prices will be close at least.

i dont think anyone going to purchase a car at almost 2m price point will say it's pointless to spend a bit more to a better looking car, harrier to me is a better looking than fort, rav4 or fj (discontinued now). the pointless part is definitely not on the consumer as who doesnt want more variety. but it is definitely pointless to the distributors as it will eat up on thier other line up sales. they are still selling the hotcakes... so why add another variety right.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    im not saying that it will be cheaper than the fort but i think the prices will be close at least.

i dont think anyone going to purchase a car at almost 2m price point will say it's pointless to spend a bit more to a better looking car, harrier to me is a better looking than fort, rav4 or fj (discontinued now). the pointless part is definitely not on the consumer as who doesnt want more variety. but it is definitely pointless to the distributors as it will eat up on thier other line up sales. they are still selling the hotcakes... so why add another variety right.
    What? So sinagot mo lang din tanong mo. Anyway, Toyota has the most complete line-up in the PH market today for the clear market segments. Yung mga niche segments na low volume sellers, dun papasok si Lexus. And besides, yung Lexus RX is an upscale version of the Harrier if I'm not mistaken, ala GX is to Prado or LX is to LC200.

5. Join Date
    May 2014
    maybe im just looking more validation. :D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004

You have to pick your battles.

As I pointed out... the Harrier will not be Fort priced.

It's a bigger version of the RAV4.

The RAV4 costs 50k more than the Fort, base variant to base variant.

Looking at the prices of the Harrier and Kluger (Toyota's Australian midsized crossover... slightly bigger than the Harrier) online, those models carry a 200k - 250k peso premium over the RAV4.
    TOYOTA RAV4 catalog - reviews, pics, specs and prices | Goo-net Exchange
    2015 Toyota Harrier ? Release Date - 2016 / 2017 Truck and SUV

Toyota compare models

A "stripper" FWD 2.0 Harrier would thus cost about 1.6 - 1.7m... too close to the FJ and fully loaded Fort. A high end 4WD Harrier would cost 2.2 - 2.4m. (after taxes. Higher price, higher taxes)

Now look at the breakdown of Toyota models on page 8:

RAV4 - 965 units

Fortuner 4x4 - 1,134 units
    Fortuner 4x2 - 17,509 units

Land Cruiser LC200 - 327 units
    Land Cruiser Prado - 315 units

FJ Cruiser - 1,392 units

-

The Fortuner 4x4 outsold the RAV4.

The FJ Cruiser, supposedly obsolete, but still in production, and despite the "gas guzzling" V6, outsold the cheaper RAV4 by over 50%. And outsold the Fort 4x4, to boot.

Most buyers looking at big, expensive SUVs from Toyota gravitate towards Toyota's trucks. A unibody four-cylinder vehicle in the 2.5m range doesn't make much sense. As also seen here:

Alphard - 187 units

Previa - 16 units

The outgoing Alphard is around the 3.16m mark. And yet last year, it outsold the 2.8m Odyssey, the T&C and every other luxury van on the market.

The Previa is around 2.4 - 2.6m. Toyota sold so few Previas, it isn't worth their while to do dealership training for their maintenance! 40 or so dealers that need to be equipped with people, equipment and spares for the Previa... no go.

People buying vehicles at over 1.6m are already looking for more power, more features. (hence the FJ's spectacular sales)... the current Harrier only has the same 2.0 and 2.4/2.5 motors as the RAV4 and Previa. I've heard rumor that the Previa being canned. And, more tellingly, the new Alphard is not getting a four-cylinder motor. No point in offering it, since an overwhelming majority of the customers bought the V6. :D Also helps that V6 Japanese-made cars like the Alphard and FJ get BIG tax exemptions.

Without those exemptions, the Harrier is a no-go.

And without a left-hand drive variant... it's even more of a no-go than that.
    Last edited by niky; February 12th, 2015 at 11:28 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    another promising year for the Philippine car industry...

Philippines: Manila Standard Today | Latest News in the Philippines - kaso wala pa ata si AVID dito

FORD: http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...uary-2015.html

8. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Who would bother to buy a CRDi Advie if they could buy a CRDI Innova for the same price?

No way would the Adventure stay at its price if it got a 2.5 CRDi. The base (non-taxi) model is already 725k, while top-of-the-line is almost 1m.

With the same low-spec CRDI as in the base Strada, that would likely rise to 825k and 1.1m. Sure, the Innova still costs more, but not enough more that you'd downgrade to an Advie over one. Cheapest Innova diesel is 880k.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Who would bother to buy a CRDi Advie if they could buy a CRDI Innova for the same price?

No way would the Adventure stay at its price if it got a 2.5 CRDi. The base (non-taxi) model is already 725k, while top-of-the-line is almost 1m.

With the same low-spec CRDI as in the base Strada, that would likely rise to 825k and 1.1m. Sure, the Innova still costs more, but not enough more that you'd downgrade to an Advie over one. Cheapest Innova diesel is 880k.
    Good point sir.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dos2 View Post
    another promising year for the Philippine car industry...

Philippines: Manila Standard Today | Latest News in the Philippines - kaso wala pa ata si AVID dito

FORD: http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...uary-2015.html
    Laki ng share ng toyota.

10. Join Date
    May 2010

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast