New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhandros View Post
    Here is the thing. The wifey wants to learn how to drive and is planning to enroll in a driving school this month or the next.

Now she is planning in getting a car for her daily drive and is setting aside around P50,000++ to get one. Now i'm wondering if its worth it at that price, or should we splurge a bit and get one at the P100,000 mark.

The autos i found at the P60k range are those of the late '80s era or koreans from the early n'90s. The ones at the P100k range are the AE101s and some really good condition AE92s. Hence my dilemma.

My biggest concerns are reliability and the auto having a working a/c and power steering.
    if ever kukuha kyo ng ganyang kotse dapat may resident mekaniko na kyo para ok

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    There's no denying Toyota in terms of reliability. If modern day Toyotas of the 90s, that's telling a lot.

Just don't get white, alam na natin kung ano yun dati pagganun

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I agree with the Sentra b13 or the AE92 corolla. Trusted cars.

Get the one whose condition is the best para sure na hindi ititirik wifey mo. Mahirap na matirikan sa daan, lalo na kung 1st time driver ka pa lang.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, i guess we just have to save up some more for the AE92/101s or the Sentra B13.

Thanks for the inputs guys

Oh and me and the wifey went out the other day to look for cars at her price range, funny thing, comment nya puro panget. nyahahaha. I guess it goes to show, "you get what you pay for."

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Yeah at P100K there are not a lot of options... All you will get are early 90's car or kung Korean late 90's...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yep... you really do get what you pay for.

The California is a nice car. Comfortable, lots of space, good looks. Problem is, it's so old, it's hard to find one in decent condition, and parts aren't as common as parts for the B13 and B14 Sentras.

At 100k, I'd be looking really hard at B13 Sentras (advertised as ECCS or LEC/LEC PS)... Corollas in that price range are really beat to hell.. you can get somewhat nicer Sentras for the same amount.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Nissan California? Isn't that the hatch version of the B12 Sentra? If I remember right, these were notoriously unreliable due to the poor quality of materials used. When I was small, our car was a 1989 Nissan Sentra 1.6SGX. It was nice, with the power windows, locks and steering, cool A/C, fuel injected engine, and many other features quite new for its age. But when it is involved in an accident, makikita mong yuping yupi talaga ang bakal. When we sold it by 2000, the exterior was still very new, but it was getting poor fuel mileage, and having numerous repairs. That was back when it was still 11 years old. As for the B13 Sentra LEC-PS, I wouldn't consider this as the engine is slow and thirsty. The 1.6 liter ECCS variant would be nice, though it is quite cramped inside. I noticed you guys here don't seem to be recommending the Lancer "itlog". Is it that bad compared to the Sentra and Corolla? I have an uncle who has his GLXi since 1994. He lives in Baguio and goes to and from Manila frequently. The car is not well maintained, but it is still running very well till today. Part of its work is carrying vegetables (he has an organic farm) and it runs the inclines of Baguio without breaking a sweat. Its body is already rusty and the paint is faded since its always exposed to the elements. When you look at it, you wouldn't believe that it is still very much capable of running stably at speeds in excess of 160km/h in the SCTEX. It proves that the engine and chassis of Mitsubishi is really good.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Never actually had any problems with our California... and from experience with secondhand units, Californias are much better than the sedans. Yes, I've had the displeasure of driving one or two 20 year old B12s...

The metal on all new cars is rather thin compared to older 60's and 70's cars. That's par for the course.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if budget is really a limitation..
    at 50K, nothing can beat the reliability of a classic air cooled beetle. of course, it has its quirks. but hey! you won't have to worry about radiator water and carnappers. and trouble-shooting is easy. the only problem is, its design is a love-it-or-hate-it thing. and many people hate it. but if your objective is learning to drive...
    Last edited by dr. d; September 27th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    sorry. double post..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Car for new driver