New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    heheheh. good question eh. di ko rin alam. :lol:

Thanks for all your posts guys. appreciate it very much!

How do I know just by looking at the engine if it's DOHC or not? What unique construction does it have? Or there is none and it's hard to tell?

thanks,

city

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    ^^^ usually, the valve cover (not the plastic covers in the new car engines of today) is 'U-shaped' and the plugs are all lined in the middle of it. SOHC engines that I know of have the plugs' orientation more to the edge (CIVICs, Lancers)

Q? - DOHC's supposed to generate more high-end power right, I wonder why VTIs and the 01-02 lancers' engines have higher PS than any of the DOHCs that time (cept SIR)?
    Last edited by an0nim0us; November 30th, 2005 at 05:15 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    dohcs are more generous when it comes to torque. more flexible in top gear acceleration, requires less downshift.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The only answer to that is, "it depends". In general, if you have the SAME engine in both SOHC and DOHC, the DOHC version will have a WIDER powerband. But in practice, manufacturer's differences hold truer than the difference between DOHC and SOHC.

Nissan GA16DE DOHC vs. Honda D16 SOHC VTEC
    - Honda has higher power peak
    - Nissan has wider power band
    - ergo, similar performance, despite differences in quoted power

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Niky, I think that makes sense (wider powerband), two cams mean they can act independently to each other and thus may have a more flexible profile in a wider rpm range. (wo wo wo, is that me talking? what do I know about these things anyway hehe)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hyundai Elantra 1.6 DOHC with ABS pa..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
WHich car models/brand have 1.6 L DOHC engines