New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Would like to ask some "pro" advice here... Im thinking of buying a second hand car , my sister's telling me to get toyota dahil madali daw ipagawa at imaintain.. other's are telling me to get honda dahil generic parts pero sabi naman ng iba mahal kasi casa lang pede.. sabi naman ng iba mitsubishi sabi naman ng iba di daw maganda un... hanggulo... hano ba?
    heps, di pedeng brand new, kasi first time kong magddrive on my own.. mahirap na.. lam nyo nah..

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    go for toyota

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There's no such thing as an "easy-to-maintain-brand". There are "easy-to-maintain" cars. There's a big difference there.

Most mid-90's Japanese compact cars are "easy-to-maintain" in the sense that parts are easily available and repairs are simple. If you're going for a Corolla or a Civic, I'd prefer to get a fuel-injected one in good condition, with a manual transmission. Fuel-injected models are usually more fuel-efficient, and easier to live with. (carbs need extra care... retuning, cleaning, rebuilds) Older electronic injection parts are now relatively cheap and easy to source. Manual transmissions will sometimes require rebuilds and will often always require a clutch-change within a year or two, and you might sometimes have to replace a synchro or a bushing... but at least the parts are easy and plentiful, and you don't have to go hunting for a surplus tranny or (*gasp*) a transmission rebuild down the line. Secondhand ATs, if you don't know how to spot problems before you buy, are often a pain in the butt.

The comparison of Toyota versus Honda parts is complete BS. Yes, you can get very cheap Toyota parts, but bear in mind... you often get what you pay for. Most cheap replacement parts can fail within just a few months as they use less durable rubber and/or gaskets than original parts. As much as possible, buy original or buy a trusted third-party brand.

The idea "Toyota is more reliable" came about because the Corolla is relatively reliable, and parts are commonplace and cheap. But no car is free from defects or idiot-proof. I've seen more Corolla engine-rebuilds than I care to count, yet I've never seen a Civic engine blow up except on the racetrack... so... who's more reliable? It's all about proper maintenance and use. Even a Mitsubishi Lancer or a Nissan Sentra engine can last up to 200,000 to 300,000 kilometers if cared for properly.

The easiest-to-maintain cars you might want to look at would be 96-00 Civic VTis, 96-00 Corollas (go for an EFI and not the 1.3 liter taxi specials), the 1.4 liter EX Saloon Sentra (good balance between economy and useability... the 1.3 carbureted FE is a good car, too, but again, carburetors require extra care)... or the 1.6 liter Super Saloon (stay away from the Exaltas... too many fiddly electronics). Anything older will usually be in bad condition, anything newer will be more complicated and more expensive to maintain.
    Last edited by niky; May 24th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    The older "Saab or Suzuki are 2 cycle engine. They are easy to maintain but require different attention. You need to make sure that you have oil in the fuel mixed in the correct proportions. If not, you get oily exhaust. You'll have this anyway, but the extent depends upon how your specific engine runs. If you put too little oil, then there isnt enough lubrication for the crank shaft and you may seize the engine.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    depende rin sa iyo kung paano ang magiging condition ng sasakyan mo, kung paano ka magmaneho at paano mo inaalagan ito especially sa preventive maintenance, sa price comparison sa honda civic96 balljoint 555brand last na bili ko 350pesos, sa toyota revo 555brand din 550pesos, mas malaki physically ang sa revo, pero both di pa naman nagbibigay ng problema kahit sa gas consumption halos di parin nagbabago, nakasalalay sa iyo ang magiging condition ng sasakyan mo, sa price ng spare parts pereho lang at ke honda o toyota o mitsu perehong maraming mabibiling parts yan wag kang maniniwala na mahirap maghanap, sa laspinas sa pasay lrt sa banawe, kung surplus naman sa cavite sofia sa evangelista sa banawe marami pa, meag search ka lang sa mga forum marami kang malalaman sa mga repair shop naman ganoon din

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    id still go for a 90's toyota than a 90's honda for the simple fact that more roadside/shade-tree mechanics are more comfortable and familiar with it. plus kahit sa sari sari store makakabili ka ng parts hahaha which is sometimes true sa towns out of metro manila

but when it comes to refinement ng mehanicals,pansin ko mas maganda sa honda...as far as mga nasubukan ko na noon

kia pride.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    IMO as long as you have the money, any car brand is easy to maintain. However, even if you have the "easiest" car brand to maintain (if there is such a thing) but have no money for maintenace, then the "easy" becomes hard.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    IMO as long as you have the money, any car brand is easy to maintain. However, even if you have the "easiest" car brand to maintain (if there is such a thing) but have no money for maintenace, then the "easy" becomes hard.
    Very true.

-----

Seen in a different light, I will go to the best sellers in its segment.

More units sold, more units running, more units will eventually break down, more customers looking for parts.

Suppliers tend to stock up on fast moving items. More shops will also carry the parts. Competitive price.

So I will go for a Toyota.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    a car brand that is easy to maintain is for me, is not on the brand. just like what others say, it really all depends on whose the one using the car. kami, 2 ang sasakyan namin, 1 toyota fx gas at 1 jdm pajero 2.8. both having 2 digit ages and masasabi namin, ok na ok pa naman, though yung fx namin needs a hydroback change and shift stick repair. pero yan mga yan, eh dahil na rin sa kalumaan na ng sasakyan, 10 years na to be exact. so kung ako po sa inyo, don't look for the brand, look for the quality or the condition of the car.

as for parts naman po, lahat naman eh available sa mga suking auto supply or if wala talaga or gusto talaga ng lahat OEM, eh andyan naman ang malakas na maningil na casa. so hindi ka mauubusan ng options regarding sa piyesa ng sasakyan. though the popular ones are toyota, mitsubishi, and nissan , na madalas eh meron na sa tabi tabi lang yan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast