New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Yung local trooper from what i've read here, is madugo i pa repair yung pump 4jx1 engine. pero kung 4jg2 yng engine, oks yun!

Quote Originally Posted by baskin0610 View Post
    nakakalito na ... hehe siguro i inspect ko nalang muna yung mga nashortlist ko with my mechanic.

given your inputs, handa nalang for possible repairs...hirap talga choices if you are within budget contraints

i was also eyeing the local trooper. My friend has one. mukang ok din naman pero i read its a lemon. is that true?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    whoa! parang natakot tuloy ako sa upcoming expenses if ever I would get one of this type of rides. mag sedan nalang kaya ako. hmmmm

Better. Since with the budget you have now, you can afford maybe a newer sedan. Around 2003-2004 models, still depends on the make tho'.

but you all have a point....considering 10+ year old na to either Paj or safari man.

Not all 10+ year old cars are pain in the ass. Some are maintained properly. Maybe it would be better if you really know the owner.

If you don't have an option, just bring a mechanic.

any suggestions what an alternative ride have?
    I don't really know any SUV's that are priced within your budget aside from those you mentioned. In sedans, you'll have much more options. But, will it fit your needs ?

i actually need a big ride 5-7 that can fit comfortably. preferably diesel. high ground clearance good engine and not a gas guzzler.

If being " matipid " in gas is one of your main preference, then the options you've stated doesn't fit you much. Since those are known to be gas guzzlers -, except for the terrano, i think.

Though the rest that's left in your preference are perfect match for those you've stated

reliable and hindi sirain. given that i can only get a second hand, I am prepared for the upcoming regular maintenance.
    In the choices you've stated, they're all reliable and trusty, if it was just maintained properly. Mind you, the repairs ranges from 10k up to 50k or higher. It really depends on how did the owner took care of the vehicle itself. If you're lucky enough, then you might not be seen in repair shops or casa's already -, well in the first stretch of your ownership of the vehicle.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    delay your purchase. it can wait. maybe next year you will have enough money already. sakit sa ulo ang old cars.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    SUV ba talaga dapat sir? Kasi pwede na crosswind sa budget niyo sulit pa po, matibay pa o kaya advie.

A trooper? Yeah it's a hell fast SUV! Medyo mahal nga lang siya, at tama si sir blue_gambit kung 4jg2 na engine ok na po yun, 4jx1 is one of the first CRDi engines (correct me if i'm wrong) kaya madami siya claims, pero alam ko po may mga pinalitan na piyesa dun sa engine na yun dati nung nag ka recall eh tapos ok na, eh di kung ayos na yun na lang.

Kaya lang hindi po ba out of budget niyo na yun? nasa 670K yung mga 2002 model nun eh.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Injector failure is one of the most common problem with troopers, and it's kinda pricey to replace.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    thanks for your inputs.

Went around kanina and looked at the units I saw in the ads recently but without my friend mechanic muna. mostly safaris and terrano. wala yung paj sayang.

you can really see the age in the vehicle especially in the interior. Parang nalumman ako sa interiors especially on the safari's. Boxing boxy ang dating. if ever i would get a safari or pah, i am planning to restore its interior din.

but when i test drove it, the power is really there and i feel its more responsive than the 2.5 paj i tried before. i think the safari engine is the 4.2 straight six diesel but engaging the 4x4. may 'katok' na sound.

nakakaduda tuloy not sure if that is normal. was not able to try out the terrano pero parang masikip sa loob. I am 6'3 so parang sedan yung upo ko. headroom is also low pala which is not a good point for me.

my wife actually wanted to have a CRV instead, our neighbor is selling their 2003 CRV for 420K. is this a good deal? their ride is in good condition but they complain on gas consumption

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008

my wife actually wanted to have a CRV instead, our neighbor is selling their 2003 CRV for 420K. is this a good deal? their ride is in good condition but they complain on gas consumption
    pagbinagay ng 380k kunin muna baratin mu pa sir!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    sir try mo muna yung 2.8 paj, its much faster... hehehe

thanks for your inputs.

Went around kanina and looked at the units I saw in the ads recently but without my friend mechanic muna. mostly safaris and terrano. wala yung paj sayang.

you can really see the age in the vehicle especially in the interior. Parang nalumman ako sa interiors especially on the safari's. Boxing boxy ang dating. if ever i would get a safari or pah, i am planning to restore its interior din.

but when i test drove it, the power is really there and i feel its more responsive than the 2.5 paj i tried before. i think the safari engine is the 4.2 straight six diesel but engaging the 4x4. may 'katok' na sound.

nakakaduda tuloy not sure if that is normal. was not able to try out the terrano pero parang masikip sa loob. I am 6'3 so parang sedan yung upo ko. headroom is also low pala which is not a good point for me.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_gambit View Post
    sir try mo muna yung 2.8 paj, its much faster... hehehe
    +1 on this

may 1996 Paj 2.8 4x4 M/T kami dati. ginagamit yun ng dad ko pang off-road papunta sa project niya. the best ang performance, takaw lang din sa diesel. we sold it for 450k almost 1 month ago. hindi namin ibebenta yun kung hindi lang siya sakit sa bulsa.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Tangkad. 6'3.

The 2003 CR-V's are good enough, but that CR-V generation has a bumpy ride and poor fuel consumption.

Here's a list that I made that you could bring when shopping for a 2nd hand vehicle.

In buying a second hand vehicles, it is important to consider some facts first.

1. It is very hard to spot a flooded vehicle from the not-flooded ones. Especially if, this has been cleaned completely.
    The best thing to do ? Look at the place, ask some people there if that particular place has been flooded or not, if it is
    avoid the vehicle ASAP.

2. In buying a 2nd hand vehicle, it doesn't stop from paying the vehicle itself ... the spending of money goes on and on.
    And, in buying a 2nd hand vehicle, expect repairs.

3. A car, isn't an INVESTMENT. You don't really get money from it, unless you`re planning to keep it for several years
    until it becomes vintage already.

4. Stay cool in driving. You'll never know what you might encounter, so the very best thing to do to avoid road rage is
    keeping your head cool as possible. Take a cup of coffee if you want, or yet ... don't drive if you're experiencing personal
    problems.

-

Now, to see if the vehicle is in it's greatest condition ... you must do the following.

1. Check odometer readings. But don't just rely on this ... some, tampers this to lower the reading itself for them to fool
    buyers.

2. Before you bring a trusted mechanic with you, it's better if you check the basic parts of the vehicle first. The power
    features if it's working, dents on the body, scratches, squeeking sound if any. Those basic things wont really be
    needing a mechanic, a good ear and a good eye will do.

3. Check the engine if there are any problems. This will need you the mechanic. Let him check if there are any things
    that needs replacing ... list it down, count the cost then minus it from the total price of the vehicle.

4. Check also the brakes. Check if its forming rust etc. Especially in drum brakes.

5. Check also the other electrical stuffs. The radio, is it working ? The power antennas ( if available ) etc.

6. Aircon too, check it. Is it cool enough for the cabin or does it need cleaning already or freon additions.

7. Test drive. You need to push the car to 100kph. Here, you can see if there is any wiggling issues.
    Also do check the idling of the vehicle ? Too harsh or is it just normal ?

8. Check vehicle history. You can go to the LTO to check it.

9. Haggle the price down. The lower the better.

©Renzo_d10

Hope this helps. _

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Buying SUV, help!