New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    Wait a minute, are you including taxis here? Or are you referring to 1.6-liter private cars only?

Also, isn't it that an engine with more torque tends to be less stressed? The way I understand it, high-revving engines have to work harder because more RPM is needed to accelerate at a certain speed. The low-rev 4A-FE can reach a particular speed at less revs, can't it? One of the tsikoteers I met before has a 97 Civic VTi M/T, and one of his complaints is that it feels sluggish with 4 people on board. It drives happier the lesser the passengers. The Corolla I drive still pulls strongly even with 3 other people, thanks to its class-leading grunt. Performance loss is less compared to the Honda.

I guess Honda had to make sure the internals of their engines are very good to make up for their torquelessness. Detractors say Honda is after topping the bhp charts because people who are not so literate in cars get attracted with more power while overlooking torque.
    That much is true... (referring to weakness under full load) I guess the thing is that Honda engines feel so powerful when there is one person in the car that drivers are often surprised at how slow they feel under a full load. I've noticed this with the SiR's revvy 1.6 as compared to a 2.0... with a full load, you have to push it more because the torque peak is high up. Engines with lower specific HP output but higher torque don't suffer as much. Doesn't mean the Honda engine is weak, though... A Honda Civic with a full load is still as quick as a Toyota Corolla with a full load... it just needs a few more revs to stay at the same speed.

Sadly, it's true that a lot of people buy into the HP part of the equation without considering torque... and that's one problem Honda's high HP engines have always had. But that's part of the game... it's hard to get both HP and Torque out of a specific displacement... just look at Toyota's newer 1.8 Celica engine, which feels even more gutless than the B16 down low because its torque peak is up in the stratosphere...

Honda engines are not over-engineered because they're torqueless... they're over-engineered so that they can rev high, period. It's engines like these (D16, B16, Nissan SR20, Mitsu 4G63, Toyota 4AGE) that are valued in racing not just because of their specific power output, but because of their inherent durability.

The high-revving nature allows the engine to be both quick and economical. In other words, you can either drive it quickly or economically, but not at the same time.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yup napansin ko nga iyan kapag may sakay ako mga classmates or friends with our previous Hondas, parang humihina hatak pag may sakay. probably bec. I got so used driving a very responsive car alone. even in our 1st gen Honda CRV, ganyan din.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by easydeal
    honda prestige (you won't see a taxi bearing a honda logo)
    I guess BMWs are not prestigous because I've seen a few yellow plate 520is around here and more in HK & Singapore.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    if M/T go for CIVIC
    if A/T go for rolla

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I find it extremely amusing when people claim that it's "prestigious" hehe.

Like what you said M2, low-class ang bmw, mb, volvo, vw, audi, etc dahil taxi lang sila sa karamihan ng ibang bansa (wala kasing hondang taxi sa europe...)

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    * Korek ka dyan Sir Theveed, nakakatuwang isipin dito sa Middle east maraming Benz ginagawang taxi ibig bang sabihin nyun less prestigious ito( dahil dito walang hondang taxi )he!he!he! Pero karamihan ay Camry at Altima ang pinapasada at ang pampastol ng Bedouins sa mga camel ay puro LandCruiser!

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rh88
    * Korek ka dyan Sir Theveed, nakakatuwang isipin dito sa Middle east maraming Benz ginagawang taxi ibig bang sabihin nyun less prestigious ito( dahil dito walang hondang taxi )he!he!he! Pero karamihan ay Camry at Altima ang pinapasada
    yes name it,
    (for city taxi)Camry(2000 up model),Altima, Cressida ,Galant ,Cefiro
    (airport taxi) Benz,Buick,CrownVictoria & Caprice

and they call the taxi in Middle East as "Limousine"

Quote Originally Posted by rh88
    * ang pampastol ng Bedouins sa mga camel ay puro LandCruiser!
    hehehe ,sinabi mo pa at para ka naka kita ng REVO or Adventure sa daan na kaliwat kanan kung nasa Manila road ka ,
    sama mo na din ang Suburban

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Corolla is still my choice.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Prestige is not determined on what the car can or cannot be turned into. Critics say Honda doesn't allow their cars to be used as taxis because their suspension is not tough enough for everyday heavy load and the bad road conditions in the country. A Honda dealer claims it's a value issue - resale is lower for public-use vehicles.

I'd define prestige as the honor a car earns out of the things it can do, how long it can do them, and how well they're done.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Except maybe for soft shocks, a Honda can do things for a long time. In fact, most compact sedans are tougher than people give them credit for. Part of the reputation of Nissans and Mazdas for fragility, actually, comes from them being so cheap that they are used as taxis by people who are too cheap to maintain cars properly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Buying 2nd hand car Civic 97 or Corolla 97