New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    After reading a lot of discussions here about getting a brand new and a second hand...I just figured out how about discussing or comparing the actual cost of ownership of a Brand New or Pre-Owned.

Brand New Vehicle
    Initial Value - Php 1M
    Maint/etc - Php 2,000 x 4times x 5 years = Php40K
    Fuel - Php 4K/mo x 12 x 5 years = Php 240K
    Value after 5 years - Php 500K
    Cost of Ownership - 500K+240K+40K = Php780K

Pre-Owned (5yr old)
    Initial Value - Php 500K
    Maint/etc - Php 5,000 x 4times x 5 years = Php 100K
    Fuel - Php 5.2K/mo x 12 x 5 years = Php 312K
    Value after 5 yrs - Php 200K
    Cost of Ownership - 300K+312K+100K = Php 712K

Based on my assumptions...it seems that I will only save around 68K (780-712K) in total by getting myself a Pre-owned one.

PS: of course we should not forget to also consider the 500K which I saved by buying a pre owned car. I could have placed it into an investment which can double in 5 yrs.

Please feel free to make comments. I may have made wrong assumptions or missed them.
    Last edited by DonT; January 28th, 2008 at 02:38 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Im not sure sa jan sa computation pero depends din sa brand ng sasakyan

Kasi dito sa pinas pag bumili ka ng 2nd hand na nissan and mazda sedans tapos ibebenta ulit para maging 3rd and 4th owned na eh lalo pa babagsak ang price.

Unlike Honda and Toyota na stable ang price.

Tapos hindi ako bibili ng pre-owned na tinakbo every year eh 12,000 kms. May mga nababasa ako na binebenta kotse na ang tinakbo na in two years pa lang eh 30,000kms!!! (Babaratin na yan pag ganyan :bwahaha: )

Mga 5,000- 8000 kms lang dapat every year para hindi masyado laspag.

Nothing beats a brand new car......Kahit TaTa Nano pa yan...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by suv View Post
    Tapos hindi ako bibili ng pre-owned na tinakbo every year eh 12,000 kms. May mga nababasa ako na binebenta kotse na ang tinakbo na in two years pa lang eh 30,000kms!!! (Babaratin na yan pag ganyan :bwahaha: )

Mga 5,000- 8000 kms lang dapat every year para hindi masyado laspag.

Nothing beats a brand new car......Kahit TaTa Nano pa yan...
    Thanks for the comment..actually the figure for Fuel was for the cost and not mileage..I corrected my post and inserted 'Php'. Sorry sir.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Depends also if you're paying cash or financing and how old exactly is the pre-owned. When we buy 2nd hand we get a 1-3 year old model which hardly needs any repairs (just some preventive maintenance so the car is good to go at 200K-400K less than the showroom price.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I want brand new pero for people like me na wala naman malaking budget and may knowledge naman about cars, 2nd hand is the way to go. Madaming madaling magsawa dyan, sandali lang nagamit, benta kaagad.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Getting a pre-owned (used) car is more practical if and only if you know what you're looking for, and that troublespots the vehicle has acquired through the years have been taken care of. It's just as important that you know the maintenance history of the said vehicle. Other than that the only downside is the larger cost up front (pay by cash, etc) compared to buying new with downpayment that's easier on the wallet. Of course, finding the right car is another matter. But at least during your "hunt" you can experience various states of ownership/repair that you can also add to your list when scrutinizing the cars you want to buy.

Edit: For those of us based in the US where credit history and score are important, buying a new car adds up to that and can become an opportunity for you to still increase your score if you have a very stable job and can pay the bills on time. If your credit score is bad then that's one more thing to consider.
    Last edited by mbeige; January 28th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Best thing to do is buy a one (1) to two (2) year old car. Malaki na ang mura versus brand new, pero the condition is still very good.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Getting a pre-owned (used) car is more practical if and only if you know what you're looking for, and that troublespots the vehicle has acquired through the years have been taken care of. It's just as important that you know the maintenance history of the said vehicle. Other than that the only downside is the larger cost up front (pay by cash, etc) compared to buying new with downpayment that's easier on the wallet. Of course, finding the right car is another matter. But at least during your "hunt" you can experience various states of ownership/repair that you can also add to your list when scrutinizing the cars you want to buy.

Edit: For those of us based in the US where credit history and score are important, buying a new car adds up to that and can become an opportunity for you to still increase your score if you have a very stable job and can pay the bills on time. If your credit score is bad then that's one more thing to consider.
    I agree with ya bro, buying a brand new car here in the US is pretty easy as long as you have a stable job (at least 1-3 yrs. on your current job, have a bank account, and can afford the monthly payments). also, buying a new car can help you build your credit score.

but then, aside from having such opportunities and if you are practical and in a budget, you still have an option to buy a pre-owned vehicle (it dont matter how old it is.. it could be a 2,5,10 yrs old car.. or even a 6 months old car), and if you dont have the cash to pay up front, you can still get it financed (from the Used Car Dealership or even through your Bank) and get the car almost 10-20%.. even 50% less than how much the car is supposed to cost when bought brand new.

anywayz, for me though, I dont mind buying a Pre-Owned vehicle.. as long as I like the car and it has a Clean California Title. the body & interior is clean and has a well maintained engine / drivetrain. and even with high mileage, I'd still get it... and thats for me though, not my wifey. since she gets everything Brand Spanking NEW! lolz!

aite, peace.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for your input guys. Looks like the guys who knows more about vehicles buy pre-owned ones...

Or the guys who prefer Bnew are just not bothering to post.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    *Dont - bakit yung sa computation mo, mas mataas yung fuel computation nung pre-owned?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Brand New or Pre-Owned ?