New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hi guys,

Hihingi lang sana ako ng opinion. My wife and I are contemplating of getting either the 1.2 Swift AT or a 2nd hand SUV. My wife will be driving this during weekdays on her way to her office and back (50kms per day) while I'll be driving during weekends for out of town trips (Baguio and Baler once/twice a month). We are getting an average of 2000kms mileage every month with our current ride ('98 Diesel Mits Adventure). Nagrereklamo na kasi si ang wife ko dahil pagod na sya magmanual, she can't bear the engine noise anymore and may kalampag na rin. may plan naman kami ipaayos.

We considering to get the Swift because we think this is the best for a 600k budget. But since we can pay in full, my in-laws mentioned that we consider getting a 2nd hand SUV since we usually go out of town and also because of the road conditions here in the metro (floods / potholes / uneven roads). Okay, point taken. My parents says otherwise. Iba pa rin ang brand new.

Based on our 600k budget, 2006-2008 Fortuner 2.7 VVT-i AT ang nakita namin. We read somewhere in the forum na matagtag ang fortuner which We believe we can already deal with it. mas matagtag naman siguro ang adventure namin. aside from the ride comfort, wala na ko narinig na common issue. please let me know if there's something else.

We plan to keep the car for a long term. No plans having a baby yet so just only the 2 of us. Also some of our friends for the out of town trips, usually 4-5 adults.

Based na napag pilian namin, eto ung naiisip namin pro/cons:

1.2 Swift AT
    Pros:
    1. Brand New. Also, we get to smell the brand new scent of the interior
    2. Fuel Efficient
    3. Good for city driving based on our test drive.

Cons:
    1. Cramped space. It can get 5 people inside but expect that it will be cramped.
    2. Small luggage space
    3. I doubt that a 1.2 liter engine can easily traverse uphill roads with full of passengers and luggage.
    4. We cant install a hitch receiver since it has small ground clearance. (for our bike rack) I don't like installing a cross bar on top or a strap-on bike carrier on the rear.
    5. I'm not sure if Suzuki casas have good after sales service.

2006-2008 Fortuner 2.7 VVTi AT
    Pros:
    1. Big luggage space and additional passenger seats
    2. Can wade knee-deep floods. We live near in flood prone areas. (Sta. Mesa)
    3. We can install hitch receiver.
    4. Can easily traverse uphill roads. Based on my observation on Fortuners traversing kennon road / nueva ecija - aurora road (going to Baler). Lampaso kaming naka adventure and any other vans.
    5. It's a Toyota.
    6. Wife may be get used to the ride height easily. (Was used to drive adventure, sta. fe, x-trail)

Cons:
    1. It's a second hand. considering we can only get 2006-2008 model due to our budget limitations, we are getting an almost 10 year old car.
    2. Fuel Consumption. (We expect poor fuel consumption on city driving)
    3. I assume the spare parts will be scarce soon enough because I've heard there is a new model coming out. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

If you're in this kind of scenario, which one do you prefer? or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    I'd go with the Swift. Mas tipid sa gas lalo na araw-araw gagamitin. Masarap din ma-experience yung new car scent, ganyan din ako nung pinalitan ko yung 2nd hand-bought car ko dati.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    2000km 5-7.5km/li

thats 300-400liters of fuel monthly.

You can use cheapest petrol...

The 2.7 is highly reliable. just fs oil change(yearly regardless of mileage) and every 50k tranny oil change. Sparkplugs every 65k after switching to iridium.
    Last edited by StockEngine; May 27th, 2015 at 06:57 AM.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sa 600k marami ka pang pwedeng pagpiliang SUV at CUV

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    considering that you're planning to keep the car for long, grab the brand new swift. then recon your adventure for the flood.
    in second hand, there's a great possibility that you might be buying a headache, you'd be having a long term headache.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Use the 600k for dp for a brand new CUV. Hehehe! Best of both worlds, comfort with a bit of ride height.

Im saying this because you still have no plans for babies. I assume you can spare some of your budget for monthly amortization.

But if we're going to stick with your choice, ill probably get the bnew swift because you already have an advie. Ill use the swift daily and use the advie when the need arises (floods or out of town trips).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm. among your choices, i would still go for the fortuner.... iba pa din ang mas malaki and you do provincial drives regularly. you appreciate the space, the high clearance and sturdier chassis..

kung city driving lang, i would go for the Swift.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

hmmm. among your choices, i would still go for the fortuner.... iba pa din ang mas malaki and you do provincial drives regularly. you appreciate the space, the high clearance and sturdier chassis..

kung city driving lang, i would go for the Swift.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    As what your parents said "Iba parin ang brandnew". A 2nd hand SUV will be enticing at first but not in the long run. Soon after you'l probably realize its not so much different than your current ride except that its AT. Considering that it will be your wife's daily ride to the office, the maneuverability and comfort of a car is a plus. Clearly that is your priority over the occasional out of town trips.

On the other hand I think its also the perfect timing to get a good deal if you really want an SUV. New models of the fortuner, montero, and everest are coming out this year if Im not mistaken. If your lucky enough, you might just stumble into someone who just wants a quick upgrade.

Goodluck on your choice sir.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As what your parents said "Iba parin ang brandnew". A 2nd hand SUV will be enticing at first but not in the long run. Soon after you'l probably realize its not so much different than your current ride except that its AT. Considering that it will be your wife's daily ride to the office, the maneuverability and comfort of a car is a plus. Clearly that is your priority over the occasional out of town trips.

On the other hand I think its also the perfect timing to get a good deal if you really want an SUV. New models of the fortuner, montero, and everest are coming out this year if Im not mistaken. If your lucky enough, you might just stumble into someone who just wants a quick upgrade.

Goodluck on your choice sir.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    From your post, I reckon you will need a reliable car. Having bought both 2nd hand and brand new cars in the past, from experience, consider 2nd hand if its 5 years or younger, otherwise you are better off buying brand new. 600k may be too much to invest for a 9-year old car.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My vote goes to the brand new Swift. A 9 year old fortuner will have its own set of headaches. Some of the things you need to watch out for:

- Bald tyres (these cost 5-6k each to replace).
    - Suspension parts for replacement (more expensive than that found on your Advie since this is an SUV)
    - Possible failing electronics (Alarm/keyless system, power door locks, power windows, power side mirrors)
    - Possible dirty air conditioning system

Of course not to mention the Fortuner will not have that brand new scent.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast