New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    hi! thank you for all the inputs,over the break, i was able to take my dmax offroading at my friends farm in batangas. i am very happy with my vehicle, as i was able to conquer majority of the obstacles on its stock form. i now i understand better the difference of having a shorter wheelbase. the middle portion of my dmax got hit a number of times, but so did my friends vitara. i guess the vitaras height is lower than my dmax, however due to the wheelbase distance, we were practically the same.(in clearing capabilities). we'll just wanted to thank all of those who replied.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung maliit na 4x4 may advantage in certain types of wheeling, like in sand and mud kasi magaan. also easier to recover, and tend to have better breakover angles. also better fuel economy. and also more maneuverable in the boondocks and can access narrower trails.

larger 4x4s make better tow vehicles, are more comfortable on the highway, are much more well-suited to long-range expedition-style trips, and maybe less prone to rolling over / more stable while cornering

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    when my girlfriend and i was still running the trails of maarat we encountered a couple of off roaders exploring, most are on vitaras. i guess the advantage of being on a small 4x4 is that you can go deeper into the mountains since you can fit into most trails

im not too keen on off roading since the trail we were running on was a single track, after the off roaders made their way there well....

anyway i think they got lost because they were asking which way to go to the main dirt road

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd prefer a Suzuki Jimny for a brand new trail vehicle, but best talaga siguro ang lumang Vitara o Samurai. Smaller car=less hassle, more money left over for extra kit.

Of course, nothing beats an old Land Cruiser.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by apexi_66
    Toyota Fortuner ganyan din ang location ng computer box,floor mounted kaya siguro itinaas ang body.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but in my unit it is mounted in tha inside (cabin) portion of the firewall. Approx 12 inches from the floor, 42 inches from the ground.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jailguard
    i guess the vitaras height is lower than my dmax, however due to the wheelbase distance, we were practically the same.(in clearing capabilities).

in a way you are right, but not perfectly, ill exagerate things so you can better understand. let us forget about the mountains, but focus on the city, so everyone can relate.
    let us compare a jimny and a tacoma.(with regards to wheelbase and height, this is the same as your vitara and dmax scenario, just exagerated) lets say i ask both vehicles to clear 12 inchs of curb. what do you think? are they the same still?

about mud holes, the bigger the tires, the bigger "mudholes" you can clear. i believe that is self explanatory. what appears as a mudpit to you, may be a mud hole to me.

about being able to go into the mountains deeper, you are absolutely right, but that doesnt mean a smaller rig is more capable in terms of offroadability. you my friend you are pointing out its capacity to fit into smaller holes. thus validating my mudhole theory.
    good day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
big 4x4 vs. small 4x4