New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 86, I believe, is the best track tool for under 2m. Get the manual transmission! It's easy to drive and it is very well balanced. The stock tires are safe, and give way to understeer at the limit, though if you push it hard, it edges out into oversteer... thankfully at lower cornering speeds than the Genesis Coupe, which makes it easier to catch. I still think the MX-5 is more intuitive to drive, with better steering, but the 86 is a whole lot cheaper. It will likely hold its value well, since Toyota is limiting supply, but I doubt you'll be buying an 86 to sell. Even if you do, you're still going to lose some 500-700k pesos when you sell it in several years, so it's not an investment. So skip on the TRD bodykits and mags, and stereo upgrades... get the basic car and be happy with it.

This car is the car the Miata should have been, if Mazda had made a cheaper hardtop version. Now if only Toyota hooked up with Mazda to tune the steering box, the 86 would be a perfect toy.

-

The Genesis 2.0T with the manual is sweet. Big car, great balance, great brakes, lots of power. Good as a cruiser, a drift-toy or a track-car.

The Genesis Coupe rides better on the highway and has a nicer interior than its competitors. All of which cost 3m or more here. Against what's available under 2m here, no contest.

The steering is decent, the suspension is the perfect compromise between supple and stable and the brakes are fantastic.

That said, the Genesis Coupe is a big car. Take it out on track an push hard and it'll feel rewarding. Push too hard and it can bite. That heavy rear end is harder to gather up than the 86's, even with the improved suspension tuning. But if you're looking for a modern Nissan Silvia, the Hyundai is the real deal.

-

If you want something to properly kill yourself with, the Genesis Coupe 6MT V6 with Brembos is still under 2m. The V6 is a simply fantastic engine. The 270 hp 2.0 is simply no match for the rev happy nature and aural assault the V6 provides (yeah, yeah... it's not the best sound six out there, but a thrashy six still sounds better than a turbo-four...) But I like balance, and the 2.0T has a better balance. And a simple chip upgrade would give you more power than the V6, too.

-
    Veloster... with a turbo, it's quick, but if I wanted a turbocharged Elantra, I'd buy a turbocharged Elantra. Really, though... not much reason to buy a Veloster Turbo over a 2.0 Genesis. Safer in the rain, maybe, but the Genesis Coupe has traction control, anyway.

-

Left field choice: Subaru Forester 2.0XT. Quicker than the 86 or Veloster, has more headroom than a city bus. The new Forester chassis is nice and tight. Still not as good in the corners as, say, a Mazda CX5, but at least the suspension tuning matches the power output, now. Still a bit too tall to feel comfortable bombing down the highway at over 200 km/h, but you can make a lot of sportscars choke on your exhaust when peeling away from the stoplights.
    Last edited by niky; March 28th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Ako rin, i'd get an MX-5 if i were to choose. pero among your choices, i'd definitely cross out the Veloster. then i'd just test drive the other 3.

----

but for 2M, i'd get a 2nd Hand GVB/GVF STi

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Mazda MX5
    The Mazda MX5 is simply overpriced and for tall dudes, the car is simply too small. When I drove the MX5, my eyes are right exact on the upper frame of the windshield. I had to skutch down to see out of the windshield.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    Ako rin, i'd get an MX-5 if i were to choose. pero among your choices, i'd definitely cross out the Veloster. then i'd just test drive the other 3.
    But the MX5 is already at the P2M mark.... and you can get other good cars for less than that.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    A used Honda S2000. Shouldn't be over 1M so you've got change to spare for maintenance and mods. A hoot to drive in the corners.
    It is more like a pain to drive.... the S2000 suspension is too much track oriented to be anywhere near comfortable to drive daily on the streets of metro manila.

Also, not too many Honda S2000 in the country to choose from.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    And S2000 = import. Nowadays, ayoko makita ng pulis driving on a B, R, Y plated car. Mahirap na hehe

Sent from my 3210 using Tapatalk HD Premium

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Whwy what happens if police see you in a B or Y plated car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Whwy what happens if police see you in a B or Y plated car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    They'll usually stop you then ask for the car's papers to check the legality of the car I suppose.. Import kasi, mainit sa mata talaga yan.

Sent from my 3210 using Tapatalk HD Premium

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    OT: Na-set na ba yung IRR ng anti-import law na yan? I'm considering buying an import down the road so it's kinda sad if I'd have to cross out that option.

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    But the MX5 is already at the P2M mark.... and you can get other good cars for less than that.
    i figured, afaik it's at 2.2m isn't it?

----

the s2000 is a pain in the ass to drive. it really feels cramped inside. had one before, the one with the f22c. it does drive really well but for the usual fun you get from other of the cars mentioned here? nahhhhhh.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast