New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_ View Post
    Really appreciate all the suggestions.

Researched more about the Jetta and I must say, I’m honestly impressed! Exterior might be less exciting than other compacts, but its level of kit certainly trumps the competition, not to mention the German build quality (even if the car’s from Mexico). Engine is very promising too! At this price point, this looks like one of the best deals. In the long run, will the running and maintenance costs of the Jetta be at par with the Japs? Also, is it all right to use regular diesel for the Jetta? AFAIK its engine is Euro 5 so will the quality of our Euro 4 diesels not pose a problem?

The biggest caveat is that VW just released the next gen Jetta last January, so the current model could possibly be replaced next year at the earliest No problem for me though if they bring it in by 2020 pa, but it's kinda sad to see your car immediately become an old model right after buying it.

As for second hand units, not really considering them. Because this is going to be my first car, I want to have the full experience of being the only owner of whatever it is I'm getting. Mahirap na rin since I'm not an expert when it comes to fixing up car problems which will be a big possibility in used cars, so better to avoid all that trouble.

Thinking of adding Mazda 3 1.5 to the choices na rin.
    I like the Jetta. Quality is most definitely a step up from the Japanese. I saw droves of black Jetta's in a long line when I visited the DFA once. Used for ferrying diplomats, perhaps? That the DFA is using it should say something about its class and reliability.

I'm sure parts cost and availability will still not be at par with the Japs. But then its a brand new car, so unless your unit has factory defects, you shouldn't have to be worrying about failing parts every now and then until at least about ten years down the road. If you live near a VW dealership, maintenance should not be much of a hassle.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Would like to commend the pretty solid stable you got there! Been checking out the Civic thread for a while now and I must say I really like your set up. Hopefully I could find a good set of wheels on a bargain if I end up with a Civic hehe.

On a daily basis, which among your rides do you use most often?
    Thanks bro. I really lucked out on the rims since I got them for a really good price, 1/4 of what it costs from the casa.

I had the cars one after the other. First the Ranger, then replaced it with the Altis, then sold that and got the Civic which I use now as my daily. The Civic is the best all-rounder among the three.

Researched more about the Jetta and I must say, I’m honestly impressed! Exterior might be less exciting than other compacts, but its level of kit certainly trumps the competition, not to mention the German build quality (even if the car’s from Mexico). Engine is very promising too! At this price point, this looks like one of the best deals. In the long run, will the running and maintenance costs of the Jetta be at par with the Japs? Also, is it all right to use regular diesel for the Jetta? AFAIK its engine is Euro 5 so will the quality of our Euro 4 diesels not pose a problem?

The biggest caveat is that VW just released the next gen Jetta last January, so the current model could possibly be replaced next year at the earliest No problem for me though if they bring it in by 2020 pa, but it's kinda sad to see your car immediately become an old model right after buying it.

As for second hand units, not really considering them. Because this is going to be my first car, I want to have the full experience of being the only owner of whatever it is I'm getting. Mahirap na rin since I'm not an expert when it comes to fixing up car problems which will be a big possibility in used cars, so better to avoid all that trouble.

I also have high regards for the Jetta. Outstanding drivetrain and competitive feature set.

But it reminds me of the Ford Focus TDCi. That was the Tsikot favorite during the mid-2000's. People recommended it over the Civic FD because it was faster and more efficient.

But compare the two now - parts availability of the FD is far, far better than the Focus. Lots of people (a few of my friends included), have had DCT problems (because DCT inherently sucks in heavy Manila traffic). And even if the Focus was more expensive brand new (1.1M vs 900k for the Civic 1.8S), the Civic now sells higher in the secondhand market.

Something to take into consideration because you're the one who's gonna have to live with the car, not the anonymous strangers who recommended it on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Try mo boss Suzuki Vitara GLX

SPECS: Suzuki Vitara GLX

Engine: 1.6-liter gasoline

Price: P1,098,000

Transmission: 6-speed automatic

Power: 115hp * 6,000rpm

Torque: 156Nm * 4,400rpm

Powertrain: FWD

Android 10" inch infotainment (Bluetooth,wifi,aux,USB)
    6 Airbags
    Panoramic Sunroof (pang pogi points)
    Keyless Entry
    Front, side, back sensor (for parking)
    Leather Seats
    17 inch alloy wheels (GLX)
    LED headlamps
    Comes with two tone colors Red and black roof, Atlantis Turquoise and Black roof and Horizon orange/black roof

Madami pa siyang features na available lang usually sa mga High end na sasakyan. kaya nga marami nagsasabi na Bang for Buck siya na car.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    1. To be primarily used by me (early 20s), and to be occasionally borrowed by my brother in college. Been borrowing family cars lang so this is going to be my first legit car.
    2. City driving only (to and from work, weekend pasyal with barkada), with some out of town trips here and there.
    3. Priorities are, in order: comfort, pogi points (oops, sorry can't help it), driving dynamics, fuel efficiency, ease and affordability of maintenance.
    3. Should be something that will make me happy driving it every day.
    Honda Civic then add an RS Spoiler

5. Join Date
    Feb 2015

• PMS is every 15K kms or 1 year at around 11k php.
    • Yes, you can use regular diesel.
    • I like the mature businessman-like look of the Jetta. The looks will age well like most of euro cars, e.g. Audi A4 & BMW 3xx. Japanese cars do not age well, take a look at the 2012 Mazda 3, Civic & Altis. Japanese cars are always trying "robot-icized" or "curvy-cized" every year.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iskramble View Post

6 Airbags
    Keyless Entry
    Leather Seats
    LED headlamps
    Comes with two tone colors Red and black roof, Atlantis Turquoise and Black roof and Horizon orange/black roof

Madami pa siyang features na available lang usually sa mga High end na sasakyan. kaya nga marami nagsasabi na Bang for Buck siya na car.
    It's a lot roomier inside, too, than any of the choices initially posted. If you're a single guy chasing tail, then having a lot of room helps.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Thanks bro. I really lucked out on the rims since I got them for a really good price, 1/4 of what it costs from the casa.

I had the cars one after the other. First the Ranger, then replaced it with the Altis, then sold that and got the Civic which I use now as my daily. The Civic is the best all-rounder among the three.
    I also have high regards for the Jetta. Outstanding drivetrain and competitive feature set.

But it reminds me of the Ford Focus TDCi. That was the Tsikot favorite during the mid-2000's. People recommended it over the Civic FD because it was faster and more efficient.

But compare the two now - parts availability of the FD is far, far better than the Focus. Lots of people (a few of my friends included), have had DCT problems (because DCT inherently sucks in heavy Manila traffic). And even if the Focus was more expensive brand new (1.1M vs 900k for the Civic 1.8S), the Civic now sells higher in the secondhand market.

Something to take into consideration because you're the one who's gonna have to live with the car, not the anonymous strangers who recommended it on the internet.

I see. So you've had the pleasure of having a pick up as a daily drive. How was it? Was the size too much of a pain in the a** in the city? Hehehe. My dad actually has a Hilux too but haven't had the opportunity to drive it yet. This is where my Navara dilemma comes in. Our pick up basically has the interior of a raised sedan, but with a ride that could churn fat into butter.

I like your analogy with the Focus. A decade ago, we also chose between an FD Civic and the diesel Focus, ended up with the Civic (where I learned how to drive). Sold it in 2016 with no worries. Have a friend who got his dad's 2008 Focus hatch; he decided to sell it in 2016 too but no buyer till now. His is a TOTL but selling price is considerably less than what we sold the Civic for. Sabi ko nalang sa kanya, at least he enjoyed the ride while it lasted

So far I'm kinda leaning towards the Civic. Jetta is very, very tempting. But aftersales reliability, parts availability, and resale value remains to be seen, and the new gen is just around the corner too. Hays, such a hard decision.

Quote Originally Posted by iskramble View Post

6 Airbags
    Keyless Entry
    Leather Seats
    LED headlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    It's a lot roomier inside, too, than any of the choices initially posted. If you're a single guy chasing tail, then having a lot of room helps.
    Although I'd have to agree that it's quite feature-packed given its price, I'd have to pass on the Vitara cuz it doesn't really appeal to me. Personally, I don't find the exterior beautiful with its proportions that kinda look off. I'm not a fan of the very cheesy two tone color scheme of the GLX too. The interior, like other Suzukis, doesn't look inspired as well. Power and handling are also so-so when compared to the Civic.

Suzuki has repositioned the new Vitara, which now goes against the Ecosport, compared to the previous gen which was going head to head with other CUVs like the CRV and Rav4, size wise at least. Any idea why?

Quote Originally Posted by dos2 View Post
    Honda Civic then add an RS Spoiler
    Haha, that's exactly the plan if I end up with a Civic! Better wheels, gloss black grilles, and RS spoiler. Pero siyempre have to save up for the upgrades because those will be shouldered by me na.

Quote Originally Posted by kebloks View Post
    • PMS is every 15K kms or 1 year at around 11k php.
    • Yes, you can use regular diesel.
    • I like the mature businessman-like look of the Jetta. The looks will age well like most of euro cars, e.g. Audi A4 & BMW 3xx. Japanese cars do not age well, take a look at the 2012 Mazda 3, Civic & Altis. Japanese cars are always trying "robot-icized" or "curvy-cized" every year.
    As I said above, the Jetta is a very tempting option as it shares the same platform with the Audi A3, but I'm scared it would be a pain to maintain in the long run. Would you know how aftersales service of VW currently is? Honda dealerships by Ayala suck, so I'm a bit wary of VW casas. Or has this improved recently?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Be smart and practical ... get the Honda Civic ... the VW is nice but in the long run ??? ...

If I were OB, the analogy would go like this ...

Honda Civic is like the girl next door type of chick ... simple but nice if she dresses up ... not as attractive but is reliable, easy to maintain, does not require that much to make her happy ...

Now the VW Jetta is the s3xy European ... a gorgeous model ... high maintenance ... needs expensive gifts ... has to be taken out to expensive restaurants ... always late ... needs to be pampered and can't be relied upon ...
    Last edited by Walter; February 27th, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I see. So you've had the pleasure of having a pick up as a daily drive. How was it? Was the size too much of a pain in the a** in the city? Hehehe. My dad actually has a Hilux too but haven't had the opportunity to drive it yet. This is where my Navara dilemma comes in. Our pick up basically has the interior of a raised sedan, but with a ride that could churn fat into butter.

I like your analogy with the Focus. A decade ago, we also chose between an FD Civic and the diesel Focus, ended up with the Civic (where I learned how to drive). Sold it in 2016 with no worries. Have a friend who got his dad's 2008 Focus hatch; he decided to sell it in 2016 too but no buyer till now. His is a TOTL but selling price is considerably less than what we sold the Civic for. Sabi ko nalang sa kanya, at least he enjoyed the ride while it lasted

So far I'm kinda leaning towards the Civic. Jetta is very, very tempting. But aftersales reliability, parts availability, and resale value remains to be seen, and the new gen is just around the corner too. Hays, such a hard decision.

Although I'd have to agree that it's quite feature-packed given its price, I'd have to pass on the Vitara cuz it doesn't really appeal to me. Personally, I don't find the exterior beautiful with its proportions that kinda look off. I'm not a fan of the very cheesy two tone color scheme of the GLX too. The interior, like other Suzukis, doesn't look inspired as well. Power and handling are also so-so when compared to the Civic.

Suzuki has repositioned the new Vitara, which now goes against the Ecosport, compared to the previous gen which was going head to head with other CUVs like the CRV and Rav4, size wise at least. Any idea why?

Haha, that's exactly the plan if I end up with a Civic! Better wheels, gloss black grilles, and RS spoiler. Pero siyempre have to save up for the upgrades because those will be shouldered by me na.

As I said above, the Jetta is a very tempting option as it shares the same platform with the Audi A3, but I'm scared it would be a pain to maintain in the long run. Would you know how aftersales service of VW currently is? Honda dealerships by Ayala suck, so I'm a bit wary of VW casas. Or has this improved recently?
    It's a hassle to drive in the city especially compared to a sedan, but it's liveable.

A 3-point u-turn becomes a 5-point u-turn. Tight parking spaces take more effort to get into. You can't even use some parking slots due to the length. You virtually have no trunk - I always put my camera, laptop, and gym bags in the trunk of my sedans, but when I had a pickup I had to put them in the back seat. Ride quality isn't very good either (the Navara should be more comfortable, but still very far from a sedan).

In exchange, you get a diesel that's cheaper to run (to the tune of about 1.2k/month), higher ground clearance (so you can park on sidewalks if you're that kinda guy), a more rugged underchassis for the poor roads in our country, and better resale value vs a sedan.

All things considered, I would still get a sedan over a pickup.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Be smart and practical ... get the Honda Civic ... the VW is nice but in the long run ??? ...

If I were OB, the analogy would go like this ...

Honda Civic is like the girl next door type of chick ... simple but nice if she dresses up ... not as attractive but is reliable, easy to maintain, does not require that much to make her happy ...

Now the VW Jetta is the s3xy European ... a gorgeous model ... high maintenance ... needs expensive gifts ... has to be taken out to expensive restaurants ... always late ... needs to be pampered and can't be relied upon ...
    What if you can have both chicks? Hahahaha

It's really a matter of choice. My wife's family has both a Civic RS and a Jetta 1.6L TDI DSG. My brother-in-law uses the Civic RS within Metro Manila while my sister-in-law uses the Jetta which is now used mostly in Clark as she is studying there. It was partly my suggestion why we got both cars. I suggested the Civic 1.8L initially to my father-in-law as I see no point in them getting the turbo model but my brother-in-law wanted the turbo model so he got his wish.

Both cars have their merits. Both are quite spacious for a compact. Both are serviced under Ayala-owned dealers. On their first year, both rounds up the same in maintenance cost. Maybe in the next batches of PMS, we will have an idea as to which costs more to maintain. CVT fluid needs to be replaced for the Civic while the DSG fluid on the Jetta also needs replacement. I rarely drive these two cars but I do know these cars are driven conservatively by the two millenials.

If you ask me, a Civic 1.8L will do whatever the Civic RS or Jetta can do on a daily basis. It's our quirky nature that makes us choose things.
    Last edited by Egan101; February 27th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Below Php 1.2M budget