Quote Originally Posted by justin_ View Post
Really appreciate all the suggestions.

Researched more about the Jetta and I must say, I’m honestly impressed! Exterior might be less exciting than other compacts, but its level of kit certainly trumps the competition, not to mention the German build quality (even if the car’s from Mexico). Engine is very promising too! At this price point, this looks like one of the best deals. In the long run, will the running and maintenance costs of the Jetta be at par with the Japs? Also, is it all right to use regular diesel for the Jetta? AFAIK its engine is Euro 5 so will the quality of our Euro 4 diesels not pose a problem?

The biggest caveat is that VW just released the next gen Jetta last January, so the current model could possibly be replaced next year at the earliest No problem for me though if they bring it in by 2020 pa, but it's kinda sad to see your car immediately become an old model right after buying it.

As for second hand units, not really considering them. Because this is going to be my first car, I want to have the full experience of being the only owner of whatever it is I'm getting. Mahirap na rin since I'm not an expert when it comes to fixing up car problems which will be a big possibility in used cars, so better to avoid all that trouble.

Thinking of adding Mazda 3 1.5 to the choices na rin.
I like the Jetta. Quality is most definitely a step up from the Japanese. I saw droves of black Jetta's in a long line when I visited the DFA once. Used for ferrying diplomats, perhaps? That the DFA is using it should say something about its class and reliability.

I'm sure parts cost and availability will still not be at par with the Japs. But then its a brand new car, so unless your unit has factory defects, you shouldn't have to be worrying about failing parts every now and then until at least about ten years down the road. If you live near a VW dealership, maintenance should not be much of a hassle.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk