New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Yep, the Jetta looks boring like an Altis but it drives really well. It does share its platform with the Golf. The platform feels solid and the suspension is tuned just right (not to firm, not to soft). Best of all, it is very fuel efficient. PMS is every 15k KM or 12 months, whichever comes first. We paid around 10k for the first PMS.

By the way, the Golf and Jetta 1.4T were released locally back in 2016. Both were initially priced around 1.3M. I drove the Golf 1.4T on a test drive in Laiya, Batangas and it is one good hatchback. The 1.4T engine is very responsive and has enough oomph to get the car moving in a fast pace (0-100kmh in 8-9 seconds). The platform has a lot of natural grip so you can be a bit aggressive on corners pushing the tach to the end of its torque limit (5k rpm) at 2nd gear. Think of it as a more refined and quicker Fiesta Ecoboost. With the eventual release of the newer Jetta 2.0L TDI and Golf GTS wagon in 2017, the Jetta and Golf 1.4T were sold at a bargain (950k for the Jetta, 1M for the Golf) on December 2016 to January 2017. The inventory was cleaned up before February 2017.
    Just realized, VW's massive discounting can pose a problem in the future come resale time.

In 3-5 yrs, those who got their Jettas for 1.1M will want to sell for say 50% of the value so they will be asking 550k. The guys who got it for 900k won't mind selling it for just 450k. Those who got it at a higher price will have to match down to sell quickly, leading to lower secondhand prices.

Of course, it's a problem for the sellers and a big boon for the prospective buyers. Below Php 1.2M budget

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Yep, the Jetta looks boring like an Altis but it drives really well. It does share its platform with the Golf. The platform feels solid and the suspension is tuned just right (not to firm, not to soft). Best of all, it is very fuel efficient. PMS is every 15k KM or 12 months, whichever comes first. We paid around 10k for the first PMS.

By the way, the Golf and Jetta 1.4T were released locally back in 2016. Both were initially priced around 1.3M. I drove the Golf 1.4T on a test drive in Laiya, Batangas and it is one good hatchback. The 1.4T engine is very responsive and has enough oomph to get the car moving in a fast pace (0-100kmh in 8-9 seconds). The platform has a lot of natural grip so you can be a bit aggressive on corners pushing the tach to the end of its torque limit (5k rpm) at 2nd gear. Think of it as a more refined and quicker Fiesta Ecoboost. With the eventual release of the newer Jetta 2.0L TDI and Golf GTS wagon in 2017, the Jetta and Golf 1.4T were sold at a bargain (950k for the Jetta, 1M for the Golf) on December 2016 to January 2017. The inventory was cleaned up before February 2017.
    Too bad it's a limited release. I'd be in the market for a Golf. I don't understand why I find the Jetta plain jane but the Golf a real looker. Probably a soft spot for hatches.

Anyway, it turns out the 1.4 was replaced by a 1.5 TSI in its mk7.5 refresh. VW should strongly consider bringing it here even if we're not a hatch market. Price it reasonably and I'll file a reservation asap.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakwatsero View Post
    Too bad it's a limited release. I'd be in the market for a Golf. I don't understand why I find the Jetta plain jane but the Golf a real looker. Probably a soft spot for hatches.

Anyway, it turns out the 1.4 was replaced by a 1.5 TSI in its mk7.5 refresh. VW should strongly consider bringing it here even if we're not a hatch market. Price it reasonably and I'll file a reservation asap.
    Those models were not a limited release but it couldn't sway buyers as they are priced a bit higher. There was a Jetta 2.0L TDI model that was released together with the turbo petrol models but it was priced almost 1.5M (which was sold at a discount for 1.1M at the end of 2016). Our 2016 Jetta 1.6L TDI DSG should have an SRP of 1.3M+ but it was released thru the Ayala employee corporate car program for 950k.

VW-PH decided to sell them for a bargain as the newer Jetta and Golf GTS (2017) was priced lower than those 2016 models. The top-end Jetta and Golf GTS models are not even priced at 1.4M nowadays.

Try to look around for folks who may want to sell their 2016 Jetta/Golf 1.4T. Below is a comparison review of TopGearPH of the top turbo compacts in 2016.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/drives/bi...5-lfrm/page/1?

Going back to topic, if you think of a reliable all-around compact car, it is got to be the Civic. There may be some not good generations of the Civic but the new platform will surely be something to be as good as the older FD and EK platforms.
    Last edited by Egan101; February 23rd, 2018 at 12:15 PM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Navara is very long... If you don't need the bed and the high ground clearance then avoid.

And then again, the aforementioned ground clearance, more robust suspension, more commanding road presence and lower fuel cost of diesel engines are very significant advantages though...

Not considering slightly used?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Navara is very long... If you don't need the bed and the high ground clearance then avoid.

And then again, the aforementioned ground clearance, more robust suspension, more commanding road presence and lower fuel cost of diesel engines are very significant advantages though...

Not considering slightly used?

Innova has those traits without the length. Pero wala pa ata akong kilalang bumili ng Innova as their bachelor car. Below Php 1.2M budgetBelow Php 1.2M budgetBelow Php 1.2M budget

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ may kilala ako bachelorette car para sa negosyo nyang coffee shop cum pastry lab. She gave up her rav 4 for that

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by baludoy; February 23rd, 2018 at 11:05 PM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ^ may kilala ako bachelorette car para sa negosyo nyang coffee shop cum pastry shop. She gave up her rav 4 for that

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
    Pang negosyo yun eh. May mga ganun talaga, very entrepreneurial. Bilib ako sa mga ganyan na negosyo muna bago personal purchase. Below Php 1.2M budget

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Innova has those traits without the length. Pero wala pa ata akong kilalang bumili ng Innova as their bachelor car. Below Php 1.2M budgetBelow Php 1.2M budgetBelow Php 1.2M budget

But the updated prices of brand new pickups are really tempting, given their specs and some advantages over the other two choices, although it sounds like it's not that practical because of its dimensions.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Iba na ang Innova ngayon though. With that engine, it will have no problem keeping up with all the abovementioned choices. Probably wouldn't break a sweat hitting 200, and still with lots of tuning potential to spare. I actually wouldn't mind driving one... Makes for a great sleeper car. Comfy and practical too. Not to mention that it sounds quite a lot like the LC200 at idle. Below Php 1.2M budget

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Iba na ang Innova ngayon though. With that engine, it will have no problem keeping up with all the abovementioned choices. Probably wouldn't break a sweat hitting 200, and still with lots of tuning potential to spare. I actually wouldn't mind driving one... Makes for a great sleeper car. Comfy and practical too. Not to mention that it sounds quite a lot like the LC200 at idle. Below Php 1.2M budget

The Innova is the most practical car in the country, yes. But it also has the least amount of verve. Kahit anong mod gawin mo sa Innova, it will never have the appeal of a bone-stock Mazda 3 2.0 for example.

Even if it has gazillion horsepower and rides like a Rolls-Royce, the very fact that it's designed as a utilitarian MPV means that it doesn't have that wow factor, especially not for a typical bachelor.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Below Php 1.2M budget