New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    I know the Jazz is a good car but I am not convinced that at P842,000 its a good buy! My instincts tell me with that money I just get a compact car or even a Mitsu Strada... Not as fancy, but surely practical, ride height and has the cargo capability... Hell, I might even be tempted get an Avanza 1.5G instead?
    Well... if you're buying brand new... nothing is practical... especially compared to buying a slightly used AUV.

Note: the Jazz's 10,000 kilometer service intervals save you time and money... not just the money you spend on extra labor for those 5,000 kilometer services, but the money you lose taking time off from work to go to the dealership for the service.

Double note: fuel efficient cars always command a premium over bigger vehicles come resale time. (BTW, Avanza's resale value is just about average... nowhere near as good as the Jazz's) So your Civic or Corolla... which are no longer small, fuel efficient cars, but almost as big and heavy as early 90's midsized cars, will suffer compared to the Jazz in this regard.

An Avanza is much more practical... if that's all that matters... but it doesn't exude the "quality" feel that the Jazz does.

A Strada... well... that's another story... ...but you're getting the barest of the bare units. If you wanted a stripper unit, the stripper Jazz is only around 700 k... and that stripper Jazz will still be more fuel efficient (thanks to the MT) than the base Strada.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I know the Strada GL is bare. But to put it into comparison just shows us how expensive the Jazz really is. The Strada GL has a P20K discount so patas na sila price-wise. A pickup VS a subcompact hatch? The Strada has way more metal, a diesel engine too (CRDi pa). The comparison is not a straight one but it just goes to show how really over-priced the Jazz truly is. Pati Strada pwede na gawing comparison price-wise...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Yeah I know the Strada GL is bare. But to put it into comparison just shows us how expensive the Jazz really is. The Strada GL has a P20K discount so patas na sila price-wise. A pickup VS a subcompact hatch? The Strada has way more metal, a diesel engine too (CRDi pa). The comparison is not a straight one but it just goes to show how really over-priced the Jazz truly is. Pati Strada pwede na gawing comparison price-wise...
    But market-wise, it isn't. The Strada is a truck. It's a very, very good truck, but it's still a truck. One with an old-fashioned ladder-frame, a live-axle, a mere 3-star crash rating on the EuroNCAP (and note... it's the best in its class!), rear leaf springs and drum brakes and no ABS.

Oh... and without airbags, the Strada's crash ratings would be considerably worse... note that airbags and ABS/EBD aree standard even on the base 1.3 Jazz, which gets five stars on the EuroNCAP.

To even get ABS on the Strada, you have to buy the 1.3 million peso 4x4.

For just a little more... you can already get a Montero... which has ABS as standard and seven useful seats, so you can actually make the claim that the Strada is also "overpriced".

The Jazz is expensive compared to its competitors, yes, but it's the only subcompact you can buy and still fit in five people comfortably (well... the Yaris, but the rear hatch is awfully close to the seats). Calling it a "small car" is a misnomer. It's bigger inside and out than all Civics before the EP. In other words, it's practically a compact car... but one you can buy with smaller, more fuel efficient engines. As such... it's cheaper than all of its mainstream competitors, in this regard.

Apples to apples. You compare two cars of similar performance and spec. And to get similar performance and specs to the 1.5 liter Jazz, you need the 3.2 liter Strada, which costs twice as much. Even in the US, the difference between the price of the base model to the fully-loaded variant of most cars is enough to make the fully-loaded one cost as much as or more than base variants of bigger cars. ;)
    Last edited by niky; February 1st, 2010 at 12:50 PM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Well I understand that they should not be compared directly because they don't compete directly BUT all I am comparing is price and price alone. I know the Jazz has a lot of goodies compared to the GL Strada. But come on? 2500CC DIESEL ENGINE (CRDi) VS a 1500C Variable Valve Petrol??? I know those goodies cost money but the biggest cost parin ang metal to create the car and the engine block itself... I am still not convinced the Jazz is reasonably priced. I still think its OVERPRICED! Now its intro price at P798,000 was reasonable! But to jump to P845,000 without even adding anything is just criminal!

OT na tayo... Pero regarding Strada GLS Sport VS Montero Sport GLS yes the price is close pero the Strada is 4X4 while the MS is 4X2 only. At the same time the interior of the base MS GLS is ugly, ugly aircon dials, no screen only a drawer at the top...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 1.5 Jazz has better fuel economy, it's faster. It carries the same number of people. Without the government tax breaks on diesel (which probably won't apply to Euro V diesel when they finally bring it in... which is the only diesel you should put in your CRDi engines...), it would cost less to fuel. As it is, it costs the same to fuel and much, much less to maintain. (longer intervals, less oil, etcetera).

About the only thing extra you get with the Strada is the bed. And without a locking cover, that's not as useful for family duties as a cargo hatch. And a locking cover is extra.

You get the flood fording capability... but then... that's because it's a pickup, and that's part and parcel of the class it competes in... if Honda wanted to, they could build a high-riding Jazz... like the old HRV or the old Civic 4x4 wagon.

You're paying extra for the engineering. The Jazz uses higher tensile strength steel than the Strada, which is why it costs more to build. You get four disc brakes (the units on the Montero and Strada are pathetically weak due to the drums... but this is also a common problem in the pickup class) and ABS. And a five speed automatic transmission.

It's only expensive because it's loaded. Give it a manual transmission, strip the airbags, give it rear drums, etcetera... and it should cost 50k-70k less. Use cheaper steel (bring it back down to the same 3-star rating...) and switch to smaller 15" steelies, maybe remove another 70k. You end up with a mid-600k car that's still much bigger and more refined than other 600k cars.

But if we're talking about the amount of metal for your money... nothing beats a Foton pickup...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    But if we're talking about the amount of metal for your money... nothing beats a Foton pickup...
    A Foton? I'd like to convince my son's mother to buy a Foton...so I can just tell him, dyan ka sumakay sa Foton ng ina mo.

Back to the topic, Mazda is now in the B-segment class as well, with their 795K Mazda 2.

As it now stands, the playing field is thus:

Toyota Vios 1.5G M/T - P760,000
    Toyota Vios 1.5S M/T - P770,000
    Toyota Yaris 1.5G M/T - P731,000
    Suzuki Swift M/T - P730,000
    Mazda 2 A/T - P795,000
    Honda City 1.5E A/T - P816,000
    Honda Jazz 1.5V A/T - P842,000

Spec-wise, and perhaps quality-wise the Hondas lord it over everyone else, but the 50-100K price premium will still give average Joes second thoughts.

Bang-for-the-buck, it's still probably the Yaris or the Swift.

Decisions...decisions...quality? Or Price?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Any thoughts on the Honda Jazz recall?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    We are not affected by it. Besides it for the 1st gen Jazz anyway...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I just bought a Honda Jazz 1.5 v in helios yellow. After all the additional accessories are ordered and installed, I'll get it next week.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    time to modify this thread and add the mazda2

took another test drive of the mazda2 sedan (greenhills) yesterday morning and then followed it up with a test drive of the 1.3/s honda city (shaw).

in terms of handling, mas ayos talaga mazda2.

in terms of power mazda2 kasi 1.5 siya compared sa city 1.3 (btw, nahirapan umakyat yung 1.3 city sa ramp ng garage ng honda shaw hehe)

i also parked the mazda2 beside a 1.5 city, and lo and behold, hindi nagpatalo sa looks ang mazda2.

lastly, total cash out ng mazda2 749k, yung city 1.3a with trade sa alloy mags ng 1.5e, total cash out around 721k.

so ayun, am leaning towards mazda2.

although not yet decided because honda city meron resale value and really comfortable leg room sa rear seats. tsaka mazda2 wala per trip fuel consumption.

pangit sa honda city, liit ng side view mirror.

mazda2 mas malaki yung windshield, better visibility sa front.

visibility sa likod, mas ok honda city, but not by so much.

hope this helps.

will be deciding today or early next week.

wish me luck!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
B-Segment Comparison Vios vs Yaris vs City vs Jazz vs Swift