New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: which would be a better restoration project???

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • '62 vw karmann ghia

15 44.12%
  • '69 austin mini cooper

19 55.88%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT:
    it as what happens after the restoration that also counts
    This is so true. Kaya luxury cars nirerestore namin para pwede pang-araw araw after. hehehe.

Between the two, the Mini is quite practical and easy to restore do a daily driver (not musem level) status.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    If I were to choose between the two, i'd choose both. Restore the Kharman Ghia first then the Mini later. Both are rare vehicles that are worth restoring.

My late uncle restored several of those to pristine condition.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    karmann ghia. haven't seen one of these in years

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    karmann ghia...but if i had a chance to own a classic vw, it would be the thing.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    sa mini ako!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ganda pareho ng choice nyo sir.

personally i'd go for the mini. because i would want to harness the fruits of my labor and it would be "fun" to drive around in a mini cooper.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    uwak18 and wildthing, wish i had the funds for both., but i'm just limited to 1.

the vw karmann ghia is still a daily driver, the austin mini cooper, according to the owner, is only driven on weekends.
    both doesnt have airconditioning. i'm still confused as of this moment. might swing by later to check on the karmann again.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sige, whichever you choose, ako na lang bibili ng maiiwan, hehehe...magkano ba ang asking sa inyo ng bawat isa?

here is my low down:

the body work required on the mini cooper is lesser than the karmann ghia.

the engine and suspension system of a karmann ghia will probably be easier ihanap ng parts than a mini.

the exterior trim of the mini will be harder to find (side mirror, signal lights) than a karmann (kasi VW's - parts are almost similar to one another).

the mini will be a good candidate for a resto-modification option -- cooper racing format with the white stripes on the hood and a white top, KG's don't have the racing history but they sure could be set-up to racing mode (sleeper style).

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I have a friend who has a KG, I think he writes for C! magazine. I've seen his car, it's great but he has some difficulty with parts.

If you haven't watched the Bourne Identity, a Mini was used as a get-away car...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    very tough choice! if you can, try to drive both then decide. am sure your heart'll tell you which to pick. either way, you won't regret your choice. both are great project cars!

the karmann is really rare and cool!

but if i were to choose, i'd go for the mini because, as already mentioned, it's fun to drive and has that Mr. Bean factor that even kids like!! btw, i'm 6'1" and i can fit in my uncle's minis.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Austin Mini Cooper or VW Karmann Ghia?