New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks.

I'll add to the choices:

BMW E39 525i (I discovered it's just around 700k something)
    BMW E46 316i (i just like the streamlined looks).
    MB C280 1994
    Audi A4 1.8 Turbo

My ultimate dream BMW at the moment is 530d E60 (still working + praying for funds. hehe).

Then I'll buy my future wife a BMW 123d Tii because it looks like one little racer. (Gotta work a bit harder).

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Are there any redundant problems with BMW "d" or diesel engines?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    It's too powerful and fast. I mean 0-100 in 8secs for a midsize car is nice (E60) :D and ECU limited top speed of 250kmh (unlocked is around 300+). You'd be at the constant mercy of temptation to speed. Speeding tickets will cost.

other than that, none. The engine is perfect.

For me, it's every motorhead's dream. Speed + Fuel Economy hardly comes together in one package such as this one.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Slightly OT: If I were to get a diesel that can perform, I'll get the SL400 biturbo roadster, please, thank you

IMO the best design BMW ever made was the E39 - the 525i might be underpowered but it should already be nicely equipped. Not sure though if BMW had similar wiring harness problems as MB.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You think it would be possible to supercharge or turbocharge an E39 straight six?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hi guys!

I was and still am, a fan of older European vehicles. Although, I've never had any experience with an Audi or an actual W124. I once used and restored a pretty immaculate 1981 240D W123, which I was able to buy from the 1st owner, who bought it brand new from abroad in its day. It was pretty much preserved, save for a little rust, paint discoloration, & soft foam in the rear seats. The interior was still fantastic though!... just had new foam installed in the rear seats without destroying the pristine "tabac" orig upholstery. My family also had a beautiful 1979 300D W123 and a 1985 300SD W126 that my stepdad had since new. It's a pity we don't have these cars anymore, they're all classics in their own right and virtually bullet-proof in reliability. Maintenance was easy and not expensive at all, very reasonable for that matter. For example, I once bought a brand new radiator for the 240D at the old Delodur in Libis for 8,000Php only... at that time, a brand new radiator for a 1995 Toyota Corona, which we also had was about double the price. I should have kept those nice Benzes... regretful! My mom also had a 1996 Volvo 850 Estate bought from the local dealer... It was nice but expensive to maintain... our drivers, my step-brothers and my younger sisters really beat up that car... sold it for a song... sayang din... but I was never a Volvo fan.

When I was younger, we also had an experience with a late 70's or was it early 80's BMW 316 (2-door) purchased from Hahn-Manila in the early 80's. I guess it was an ok car. My personal traumatic experience with an older BMW came when I got a 1982 520i E28 for myself... it was a joy to drive... but really expensive to maintain and keep together... and when things went wrong, GRABE!... long story... glad that period of my life is over. If you're keen on an E36 316i... look for a 320i at least na lang... the 316i really lacks power.

Benzes however, age very gracefully and are easier and cheaper to maintain than other Euro counterparts. So for older Euros... its MB for me!

Now if we were talking about 2007 - 2008 models... It's BMW all the way! Check out the outstanding display at Autohaus BMW in Libis... drool!

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'd like to add to the debate as an Audi A4 owner:

The A4 is like any German car, requiring more intensive maintenance than the average Japanese car, but there are trouble spots specific to this car that you may want to know about:

1) The suspension bushings are prone to drying out and disintegration. Its best if you grease the bushings every 3 years to avoid this problem, and don't plus size your wheels to a point where the suspension can't take the strain (for ex, from 16-19 incher wheels. If you don't expect the suspension to last more than 1 year)

2) The A/t of the car requires fluid changes every 3 years, despite what it says in the manual. If you don't the transmission fluid cooks itself and damages the rubber seals inside.

3) Oil changes are important for the 1.8 engine. Oil sludge can shorten the turbo's life if its a turbo, or simply make the engine inefficient.

Otherwise, the A4 has many great things about it, including:

1) The most modern and ergonomic dashboard and interior. (among the 3)

2) Great sounds (w/ the Bose System)

3) Decent Power and Great Fuel economy with the 1.8 Turbo engine

4) 5-speed manual + Turbo = FUN.

5) 1.8Turbo M/t + Quattro = MORE FUN.

I personally import the parts for the car myself from Singapore and have it fixed with a reliable non-casa shop. I spend less than what I would spend on a Japanese car serviced in the casa.

If you're choosing between a 1994-1997 316i, or an E220 older than the 1992 model, I think a 1.8T M/T FWD is a good choice, esp if you get it at less than 450k.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    hi ! i just want to share my idea. im planning to buy a 1969 280s 180 body Mercedez benz. i saw one at ayosdito.ph.

kung bibilihin ko yun, balak ko sanang palitan ung makina niya ng MB engine parin na modern pero hindi sobrang mahal at wala akong magiging problema.

gusto ko lang kasi ung looks niya.. classic.. pero ayaw ko magkaproblema masyado about maintenance. i will appreciate all your best opinions and suggestions. thank you very much!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Audi A4 vs BMW E36 vs MB W124