New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I need some competitors that are against the Genesis Coupe in terms of pricing or performance. Anyone had in mind?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hyundai Genesis coupe VS Infinity G37.
    Styling
    The Genesis coupe’s doors have two distinctly carved lines — one trailing off the front fenders, the other headed for the taillights — and the smartly executed trunk needs no spoiler to spice it up. The G37 looks cleaner but gentler, with upscale touches like a chrome lip atop the trunk and painted tailpipe surroundings. It needs a spoiler to look best, though.
    My chief knock against the Genesis is the black plastic that’s everywhere: It’s in the grille, around the oblong tailpipes and inside the massive front air dam. The G37 dresses those areas up with chrome, paints them over or at the very least doesn’t make them so obvious.
    The Genesis redeems itself with its wheels: The 19-inch, twin-spoke alloys on the show car had an expensive-looking dark silver finish. The G37 at the show had the Sport package’s wheels, an Infiniti representative told me. Even so, they didn’t prove quite as eye-catching.
    Winner: Genesis Coupe, by a smidge
    Interior
    The Genesis coupe wins a few points here. The window switches have elegant clarity, the steering-wheel buttons are easier to discern than Infiniti’s mass of switches, and the woven headliner is softer than the G37’s stiff-feeling turf. In most other places, though, there isn’t much of a contest; the turn signal stalks lack the G37’s precise consistency, the doors and dashboard have hard plastics where Infiniti places handsomer materials, and typical features like a telescoping steering wheel and extendable sun visors are MIA.
    Bear in mind that the auto show cars were early, preproduction models, so Hyundai may fix some of these issues before the cars hit dealerships. In its current state, the Genesis coupe still seems a bit rough around the edges.
    Winner: G37
    Seating & Storage
    Where the G37’s dash seems to wrap closely around the driver, the Genesis coupe’s cockpit feels airier. Indeed, headroom seems better in the Hyundai (both cars had moonroofs), and the glove compartment and center console are much deeper. The cupholders in both cars sit behind the transmission, which gets in the way of manual shifting, but the G37’s seem like a worse offense — they’re positioned across the whole center tunnel, while the Genesis coupe’s are offset slightly to the right.
    Expectedly, the G37’s seats had a higher grade of leather than the seats in the Genesis coupe, which felt somewhat rubbery in comparison. The backrests in both cars were too stiff for me, even with the lumbar support dialed all the way down. Neither backseat is a place I’d relish spending my time in, but the G37 at least allowed me to put my knees against the front seats. In the Genesis coupe, I had to spread ‘em to each side.
    Winner: Tie
    Performance?
    Of course, static comparisons don’t mean much in performance cars like these. Thanks to a smooth-revving V-6 and one of the best manual transmissions out there, the G37 is a formidable competitor. I can’t speak to the Genesis coupe’s abilities, but this much I do know: According to preliminary specs, its 3.8-liter V-6 makes 306 hp and 263 pounds-feet of torque (310 hp with premium fuel). Both figures are short of the G37’s 330 hp and 270 pounds-feet, but the Hyundai achieves peak power at slightly lower rpm, which means you won’t rev to quite the heights you do in the G37. Last but not least, the V-6 Genesis coupe weighs a crucial 119 pounds less (3,549 versus 3,668) than a six-speed-manual G37 — not enough to bridge the power deficiency, but enough to significantly narrow the gap.
    In the static contest, the G37 emerges a winner — though in typical Hyundai fashion, when pricing is released the Genesis coupe will probably smoke all contenders when it comes to overall value. As we often say after an auto show, stay tuned for when we get some seat time.

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    Nothing really comes close in the price/performance of the Hyundai Genesis here in the Philippines. Probably the MX-5 is the closest I can think of but that's worth 2M and it has a puny engine that will be shamed by the 2.0T Genesis, much more by the 3.8 V6.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by leopaul View Post
    I need some competitors that are against the Genesis Coupe in terms of pricing or performance. Anyone had in mind?
    The only ones close would be the Subaru Impreza WRX / WRX STi and Mitsu EVO X.

But even then, those cars are more expensive than the GC.

A potential in the price/performance might be the current Ford Focus TDCi ... but you have to spend a little on the aftermarket tuning to get the performance level.

Even then, a modded Focus TDCi doesn't have the same "feel" of luxury w/ performance as the GC.

If you are aiming for the GC 3.8L ... a good alternative is the Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan or Wagon at around P2M and P2.1M respectively. It might not be the same as driving a two-door coupe BUT this car can deliver in the price/performance/luxury combination at the level you would expect from something more expensive (like a BMW 5-series or similar class Benz).

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    car and driver magazine comparison test

Hyundai Genesis coupe base model $22,750, 2.0liter Turbo, I4, 210bhp, 233 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3300 lbs.

Chevrolet Camaro coupe base model $23,530, 3.6liter, V6, 304bhp, 273 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3775 lbs.

BMW 135i coupe base model $36,675, 3.0liter, I6, 300bhp, 300 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3375 lbs.

Ford Mustang base model $21,845, 4.0liter, V6, 210bhp, 240 lb-ft, 5 speed manual, 3400 lbs.

Mazda RX8 base model $27,185, 1.3liter rotary, 223bhp, 159 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3075 lbs.

Nissan 370Z base model $30,650, 3.7liter, V6, 332bhp, 270 lb-ft, 6speed manual, 3225 lbs.

Honda S2000 base model $35,705, 2.2liter. I4 237bhp, 162 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 2875 lbs.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
    car and driver magazine comparison test

Hyundai Genesis coupe base model $22,750, 2.0liter Turbo, I4, 210bhp, 233 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3300 lbs.

Chevrolet Camaro coupe base model $23,530, 3.6liter, V6, 304bhp, 273 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3775 lbs.

BMW 135i coupe base model $36,675, 3.0liter, I6, 300bhp, 300 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3375 lbs.

Ford Mustang base model $21,845, 4.0liter, V6, 210bhp, 240 lb-ft, 5 speed manual, 3400 lbs.

Mazda RX8 base model $27,185, 1.3liter rotary, 223bhp, 159 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 3075 lbs.

Nissan 370Z base model $30,650, 3.7liter, V6, 332bhp, 270 lb-ft, 6speed manual, 3225 lbs.

Honda S2000 base model $35,705, 2.2liter. I4 237bhp, 162 lb-ft, 6 speed manual, 2875 lbs.
    Those cars listed doesn't matter because most of them are not sold in the Philippine car market (aside from grey market).

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Those cars listed doesn't matter because most of them are not sold in the Philippine car market (aside from grey market).
    wow I thought US car market was boring, so genesis wins by default no other FR cars
    but when I was in Phil i saw a white S2000 a blue RX8

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
    wow I thought US car market was boring, so genesis wins by default no other FR cars
    but when I was in Phil i saw a white S2000 a blue RX8
    There are a few Mazda RX7/RX8 but those were grey market imports.

The Honda S2000 was probably one of the few 1st gen models sold by Honda many years ago.

Other locally sold two door "sports" cars are/were:
    -Mitsu Eclipse
    -Nissan 200SX (2.0L version of the 240sx in the USA)
    -Mazda MX5 (Miata)
    -Hyundai Coupe (Elantra)

But in recent years, more car brands have arrived but kind of expensive. Examples:
    -BMW
    -Audi
    -M.Benz
    -Lexus
    -Ferrari
    -Porsche
    -Jaguar
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 10th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    ang mura ng camaro sa US ah, magkano kaya yan sa grey market? meron kase ako nakikitang dilaw na may black lines (ala bumblebee talaga) sa east cars e

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noobskie View Post
    Nothing really comes close in the price/performance of the Hyundai Genesis here in the Philippines. Probably the MX-5 is the closest I can think of but that's worth 2M and it has a puny engine that will be shamed by the 2.0T Genesis, much more by the 3.8 V6.
    The 2.0T hits 100 km/h in around 7.5 to 8 seconds. We've tested the MX-5 at 7.5 seconds. The performance is quite similar. The Mazda has much less torque, but only has 30 hp less and weighs around 500 kilograms less. So performance will actually be very similar. The Coupe will have much more top speed (the MX-5 peters out at just over 200 km/h) and should have more overtaking torque, but the MX-5 isn't going to be comprehensively outperformed by the Genesis.

Of course... the MX-5 costs as much as the V6, which will eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. :hysterical: It'll still go from 0-topless in just ten seconds. The Coupe can't do that.

-

As per GH's post... a Focus TDCi with about 100k in mods will make as much power and be just as fast as a Genesis Coupe 2.0T... and it'll cost 300k less and have a dual clutch gearbox, to boot, which the Genesis doesn't have.
    Last edited by niky; December 10th, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Any Genesis Coupe competitor?