New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The 2.0T hits 100 km/h in around 7.5 to 8 seconds. We've tested the MX-5 at 7.5 seconds. The performance is quite similar. The Mazda has much less torque, but only has 30 hp less and weighs around 500 kilograms less. So performance will actually be very similar. The Coupe will have much more top speed (the MX-5 peters out at just over 200 km/h) and should have more overtaking torque, but the MX-5 isn't going to be comprehensively outperformed by the Genesis.

Of course... the MX-5 costs as much as the V6, which will eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. :hysterical: It'll still go from 0-topless in just ten seconds. The Coupe can't do that.
    But the Genesis Coupe will have that feeling that you have "arrived" (luxury, etc) as compared to the feeling of claustrophobia if you drive in a MX5.

And you can drive with three other people in the GC. So you can ask your gf and two of her other ***y lady-friends to come along.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    The 2.0T hits 100 km/h in around 7.5 to 8 seconds. We've tested the MX-5 at 7.5 seconds. The performance is quite similar. The Mazda has much less torque, but only has 30 hp less and weighs around 500 kilograms less. So performance will actually be very similar. The Coupe will have much more top speed (the MX-5 peters out at just over 200 km/h) and should have more overtaking torque, but the MX-5 isn't going to be comprehensively outperformed by the Genesis.

Of course... the MX-5 costs as much as the V6, which will eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. :hysterical: It'll still go from 0-topless in just ten seconds. The Coupe can't do that.

-

As per GH's post... a Focus TDCi with about 100k in mods will make as much power and be just as fast as a Genesis Coupe 2.0T... and it'll cost 300k less and have a dual clutch gearbox, to boot, which the Genesis doesn't have.
    I stand corrected, never knew the MX-5 was at par with the GC 2.0T. Weight really is the main factor then. But then again, I guess what I meant really was the price/performance of the Genesis against the MX-5 which we all know the Hyundai trumps the Mazda in.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002

But the Genesis Coupe will have that feeling that you have "arrived" (luxury, etc) as compared to the feeling of claustrophobia if you drive in a MX5. :lalala:

And you can drive with three other people in the GC. So you can ask your gf and two of her other ***y lady-friends to come along.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 10th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter;1380157[COLOR="Red"
    ]But the Genesis Coupe will have that feeling that you have "arrived" (luxury, etc) [/COLOR]as compared to the feeling of claustrophobia if you drive in a MX5.

:rofl: i have arrived in a hyundai, sorry it just made me laugh

ok back to topic, MX-5 vs Genesis
    I see this as apple and orange both different ... here is what your getting if you buy a genesis 2.0T, 210bhp on a 3300lbs thats 16lbs per 1bhp (thats not a lot), no racing history, reliability? (nothing cuz its new) cheap for a modern FR sports car

here is what you get on a Mazda MX-5 2.0liter 167bhp on a 2450lbs thats 14lbs per 1bhp (wow light weight) racing history ( from US SCCA MX-5 cup to UK roadster cup to Japan)
    if any one have time pls visit http://www.mazdausamedia.com/content...0%99s-clothing
    reliability (first gen yr 1989 i still see them around to 2009) worlds best selling roadster
    http://www.irvineherald.co.uk/lifest...5485-24082693/

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...30/467672.html

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
    :rofl: i have arrived in a hyundai, sorry it just made me laugh
    Still better in an expensive looking Genesis Coupe 3.8L with it's leather power seats and exotic sports car looks than in a typical Corolla, Lancer, Sentra, etc. that we tend to drive everyday.

I have test driven the GC 3.8L and I like it.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Here in the Philippines the new Miata is rather overpriced, imo. The MX-5 costs P2.2M, while the 3.8 Gen Coupe costs 1.73M for the M/T and 1.85M for the matic. They're not in the same price range at all, so it's hard to make a comparison when the GC is so much more bang for buck.

As for competitors, well, I was going to get a 3.8 GC, but wound up getting the new Subaru Legacy GT. Slightly pricier, but the combination of performance/practicality won out for me. And it costs about the same as the GC matic w/ Brembo brakes, 1.99M.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    But the Genesis Coupe will have that feeling that you have "arrived" (luxury, etc) as compared to the feeling of claustrophobia if you drive in a MX5. :lalala:

As long as they're really short lady friends. Ouch, that roof.

Legacy... good choice. Wagon would be even better... you, four lady friends, and all your luggage... ...would be an interesting trip to the beach.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Still better in an expensive looking Genesis Coupe 3.8L with it's leather power seats and exotic sports car looks than in a typical Corolla, Lancer, Sentra, etc. that we tend to drive everyday.

I have test driven the GC 3.8L and I like it.
    thats true I rather be seen in a Genesis than a lancer vios (my mother have one in phil.), sentra or civic

I was actually considering it back when it was a concept excited that a FR car will be coming out in the US, I like the idea of a cheap FR coupe but disappointed on the specs specially the weight (hyundai 3300 lbs are you kidding me). weight is a big factor for me coming from a 1867lbs track car. test drive made it worst for me 2.0Turbo 210bhp was not I expect maybe cuz, I try to compare it to a SR20DET on a S14 silvia 250bhp or maybe I set my expectation too high. I'm still in the market for a new successor for my track toy, im waiting for the Toyota FT-86 (concept for now)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I can forgive the weight of the GC since it is not a track car, especially with the heavy power leather seats,etc.

And if you want a track version, you could always purchase the Spec-R version of the GC.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I noticed the TS is in the U.S., so I'll throw in my 2 cents given the broader choices they have over there. While I really dig the Genesis Coupe, if I was in America I'd probably wait for the 2011 Mustang with its upgraded engine hp to 300 for the V6, or if I could afford it, the 400 bhp V8.

The GC is one of a kind over here in the Philippines in offering an affordable, fantastic looking sports coupe package, but in the U.S. it just has so much incredible competition at similar price points it's hard to give it top pick status. I might go for the '09 spec WRX, Camaro SS, or maybe even the current V8 Mustang given the opportunity if they were available at similar prices to the GC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Any Genesis Coupe competitor?