New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    A Ranger will also last as long as a D-Max. It all depends on how a vehicle is maintained.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    IMHO, pick-ups should have large displacement engines since they're built for cargo and hauling of heavy loads (within capacity).

For a wide bodied p-up like the Ranger, a 2.2 litre engine is just too puny. Yeah, I know ... its fast and looks very macho.

But that is today. How about 5 to 10 years from now?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM View Post
    Sir kahit 3.0 yung D-Max mas may power yun Ranger na 2.2?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by 3GEMS View Post
    ano ba reason ng izuzu bakit hindi sila nagpalit ng makina sa ph model ng dmax?
    with same old engine sa dmax only in the philippines, pinagloloko na ata tayo ng izuzu then biblhin niyo parin product nila huhuhu...
    Customer support. Fuel issues. Lots of trucks with new engines have issues with our ****ty fuel. If you're lucky, it's just clogged EGR or SCV issues, which aren't too expensive, and which affect ALL the Japanese pick-ups. (heck, Isuzu also had EGR issues with early D-Max units) If you're unlucky, you get clogged fuel filters, busted fuel pumps and fuel injector problems, which cost $$$$$$$$$ to fix.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    TS, try to list vis-a-vis the features of both trucks for you to compare the technical attributes. I think both pickups are low-rider with axle over leaves rear suspension?

For the test drive, see w/c truck has the better low-end grunt. You could test this by taking-off at 2nd gear and see w/c engine stalls easily.

Keep in mind that no pickup is perfect. Choosing is like falling in love, you pick what your heart tells you then live with its flaws.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for all your replies, will test drive both units this weekend then hopefully I could decide na hehe

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    If you don't have easy access to euro 4 diesels (provinces), better get the D-Max.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    If it will be used primarily for hauling heavy stuff or you will use it as a workhorse most of the time, get the dmax. If not, ranger is my choice.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    IMHO, pick-ups should have large displacement engines since they're built for cargo and hauling of heavy loads (within capacity).

For a wide bodied p-up like the Ranger, a 2.2 litre engine is just too puny. Yeah, I know ... its fast and looks very macho.

But that is today. How about 5 to 10 years from now?
    huh! what the hell are you talking about???? 2 word for you lolo "research development" your statement might be true during the late 1900's-1980's but this is 2014.

a modern engine today could produce more horsepower and torque with a very little engine displacement.

check the post and comments of niky and kindly read the specs of both crewcab

9. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yup.

Customer support. Fuel issues. Lots of trucks with new engines have issues with our ****ty fuel. If you're lucky, it's just clogged EGR or SCV issues, which aren't too expensive, and which affect ALL the Japanese pick-ups. (heck, Isuzu also had EGR issues with early D-Max units) If you're unlucky, you get clogged fuel filters, busted fuel pumps and fuel injector problems, which cost $$$$$$$$$ to fix.
    so boss nicky nag ka issue din sa EGR yung previous model ng dmax nung bago labas sa pinas and may solution naman agad izuzu, bakit hindi nila dalhin bagong engine nila at e modified para maging euro 2 compliant....
    Wala lang parang hindi tayo priority ng izuzu... Para bang "okay na sa inyo yang luma, mga hampas lupa"... Bitter hehe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by victorevolution View Post
    huh! what the hell are you talking about???? 2 word for you lolo "research development" your statement might be true during the late 1900's-1980's but this is 2014.

a modern engine today could produce more horsepower and torque with a very little engine displacement.

check the post and comments of niky and kindly read the specs of both crewcab
    Nadrive mo na ba yung Ranger? As a Ranger owner, I agree with what Dr. D says na mahina ang low-end torque ng Ranger. Because of its turbo lag, the Ranger is lifeless under 1.5k rpm. Our old L200 has more torque than it when under 1500 rpm. While the latter can start in 2nd gear on an incline even on full load, you'd have to shift to first with the Ranger or ride the clutch to keep the revs up.

The 3.0 Dmax has less lag at low rpms from my experience. I've only driven the previous gen but same engine lang so it should be just as good if not better for the new one.

That said, the Ranger blows the Dmax out of the water once it gets into its powerband (1800-3500 rpm).

Quote Originally Posted by leodawesome View Post
    If you don't have easy access to euro 4 diesels (provinces), better get the D-Max.
    I am based in the province and so far my Ranger has no problem with provincial fuel. The fuel that we sell in the province is the exact same fuel in Manila. Both come from the same refinery by barge and are stored in depots that are built to the same specs as Pandacan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast