New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Greetings mga bro,

Need some inputs/ideas sana para matulungan ko mother in law ko since this is their 1st time to buy a car and we need to choose carefully. Lalo na at medyo mahal na price range ng dalawa. balak kasi namin avail july promo ng toyota and ford (whichever of the two). we are choosing between toyota innova d4d manual transmission and ford everest 2.5 manual trans also since they are big and good for the family.

My concern is kung ano mas ok in terms of fuel consumption, ride quality and long term availability for parts ( specially the prices).

nasubukan na namin yung innova d4d at ok naman ride handling nya. fuel consumption from what i read is about 10-12kms per liter.

Alam nyo po ba ride quality ng everest compared to innova. di pa kasi namin na-test drive at wala available test car for the everest. I have also read some infos from the thread na mabilis yung everest na 2.5. totoo po ba ito. compared po sa innova, alin kaya mas ok

Innova G D4D --- 1,009,000 manual
    Ford Everest --- 1,250,000 manual

Thanks a lot in advance for your ideas and advices.... pasensiya na at mahaba nilagay ko.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I would go for the Everest. Simply because the Everest is a cut above the Innova, the Everest is a true blue SUV whereas the Innova is still considered an AUV.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Start with some reviews (but both are in AT)

bigbigcar Review: Ford Everest XLS 2.5 TDCi 4x2

Motioncars review: Toyota Innova 2.5G ('05)

Look at these threads before considering getting the D-4D Innova.

List of Toyota D4D Probems (Choking, Hard Starting, etc.)

D4D choking is back , yes as I experienced it!!!!

the ff. threads from the Fortuner club forum.

http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/...250&highlight=

http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/...hlight=choking

http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/...hlight=choking

If you really want, I think the VVT-i is safer to get in the long run. You can even convert it to run on LPG.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May I be so bold as to suggest to choose none of the two diesel vehicles simply because the fuel they run on is expensive and still going higher? You can choose a gasoline version of the Innova and convert it to run on LPG. Its even cheaper to buy new than the diesel version and the difference can go pay for the LPG kit. Just check your dealer's warranty regarding LPG installations. Do note that dealers differ in the way they deal with auto-lpg conversions on new vehicles so check with more than just one dealer if you are not happy with the first one.

But why stop there?... You can have your choice of SUV like the Nissan Xtrail, older Honda CRVs, etc.

Or you can simply buy 2 to 3 year old pre-owned/used vehicles to avoid the warranty issue totally and also get a car cheaper than new. This way, you also avoid the initial depreciation of the vehicle.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 16th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hmmh... So you're planning to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time...say >5 years...Well, between the Innova G diesel and the Everest 4x2, I would have said the Everest would be costlier to maintain but I'm wary about the long-term repercussion of CRDI engines in general.

In a year or two, CRDI vehicle owners may topped the 200,000-kilometer mark. Dito makikita kon alin sa mga fuel injectors nila ang tatagal. Mahal ang mga ito when it is due for replacement. Unfortunately, Toyota's D4Ds exhibit the symptoms early than expected...like the 4JX-1 of the previous Trooper. Just a food for thought you might consider. The good thing is no such problems are encountered in the CRDI engines of Kia and Hyundai na makikita in the Sorento, Carens, Tucson, Carnival, Starex, Sta Fe and the like. So, perhaps, Ford may be in this group.

As to the two vehicle comparison, magkaibang category kasi...the Everest is an SUV...bigger, more rugged, and probably sturdier. As a truck-based SUV it also has a more harsh ride. Because its bigger and heavier it consumes more fuel per kilometer. So there is a trade off, actually.

Based on your post, you are more familiar with the Innova so I won't elaborate much. Yes, just like other tsikoteers here I would also cautioned you on the D4D option. Parang may problema talaga (3 years in the running na yong "D4D woes" thread) compared to other CRDI engines in the market. If you are bent on the Innova just get the VVTI;anyway, less than 5 pesos na lang difference sa gas at diesel at the pumps. And mas cheaper ang gasoline-fed of similar make.

Personally..between the two, kung hindi mabigat sa bulsa, i'll go for the Everest.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm... tough choice.

The Innova has a more comfy ride and is faster. Problem though is with the D4D, after hearing numeous problems about it I'd stay ayaw from it. Though there are some happy D4D owners too out there... not sure if they just lucky or if fuel is a factor in the said problem.

The Everest is better looking and a tad bit roomier. The ride is also good for a truck and its engine is more than enough for our roads.

bigbigcar.com Comparison: Hyunda Veracruz versus Mazda CX9

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm... tough choice.

The Innova has a more comfy ride and is faster. Problem though is with the D4D, after hearing numeous problems about it I'd stay ayaw from it. Though there are some happy D4D owners too out there... not sure if they just lucky or if fuel is a factor in the said problem.

The Everest is better looking and a tad bit roomier. The ride is also good for a truck and its engine is more than enough for our roads.

bigbigcar.com Comparison: Hyunda Veracruz versus Mazda CX9

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Everest is the more practical of the two vehicles, but it's definitely more truck-ish. The Innova is more comfortable, easier to drive and more fuel efficient.

D4D issues seem to be batch dependent. If you're lucky, you won't have issues. If you're not, I suggest you demand a replacement unit. I have friends and family with D4Ds with no issue, so I think it really may be just a matter of the toss of the dice. If you don't want to gamble, though, that's understandable.

There are no common issues with the Everest, so far as we in the Ford club know... there were the noisy fans in the old one, and, of course, the harsh ride (both generations). And so far, no reports of TDCi issues and TDCi Ford media units, from experience, seem to be in the best condition, engine-wise, of the CRDis we've tested. Even with 20,000 - 40,000 kms on the clock, there's no loss of power or black smoke. Other CRDis of this vintage have some power issues that indicate that they may have been affected by poor fuel quality from the varied stations that testers have filled them up at.

But the Everest isn't a perfect vehicle. With CRDis, more power means more fuel used. 2.5s that make around 140-160 hp tend to use more fuel than less powerful diesels like the 2.5 D4D (100+ hp only) or the 4JA1 (Crosswind, 85 hp). How much more depends on how you drive. The only "powerful" CRDi I've driven in this price bracket that didn't guzzle is the Focus engine, but that's because it makes its power on overboost and defaults to an "economy" fuel map if you're not standing on the throttle pedal.

CRDi injector replacement is a sad fact of CRDi/TDCi/D4D/DiD ownership. Expect to do it at around 150,000-200,000 kilometers if you're careful about where you fill up and if you do fuel filter replacements regularly. If not... the earliest I've heard of a non-D4D / non-4JX1 failure/replacement of the fuel pump/injectors is about just over 100,000.

150,000 is good. Consider that, at 150,000 kms, if you don't take care of your regular non-CRDi engine, you can have the fuel pump die on you, and you will have to calibrate and/or replace/clean your injectors anyway.

----

Complicated? yeah, it is. But at those age ranges, you can expect to need to replace items on a gas engine, too... like air-flow sensors, cam position sensors, ignition coils, etcetera. If you want un-complicated, the only truly uncomplicated engine on the market out there is the Crosswind's 4JA1. But it really isn't that nice a car to drive...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Hi,

thanks a lot for all the infos/tips and advices you have shared. My mother in law is considering to buy a vehicle for family use and long term. around 5-10years.

my mother in law seems to like ford because of safety. its big, long hood and two airbags. And being a pick up based means its tough. though many says that it has a harsh ride.

i am also thinking about parts cost and availability after 5years. parts in long term will be one of the consideration also. hindi kaya mahirap parts ng ford after 5 years since they are quite few in the road today. toyota, no question about it..

getting 2nd hand is medyo mahirap for my mother in law since they are not that familiar with car maintenance especially choosing a car. parang suwertihan sa 2nd hand considering that you dont know the history of the vehicle kaya brand new gusto nila kahit mahal. iwas problema at sakit ng ulo.

hopefully the ford everest test drive car will be available on sat for testing with my mother in law. sana medyo ok naman ride niya. tingin din ako ng gasoline car in that price range for consideration. laki ng tulong in getting other's people ideas and opinion. salamat guys....

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    "My concern is kung ano mas ok in terms of fuel consumption, ride quality and long term availability for parts ( specially the prices)."

Go for Everest bro! you wont regret having it!
    Mas refined ang interior ng everest and has a bigger leg and headroom...
    Luxurious interior design and more comfortable when it comes to ride quality...
    Very quiete inside, sounds like you are riding a gas engine...
    Very responsive when it comes to torque...
    Parts availabilty...toyota is the king, but having ford and maintaining it as per pms(planned maintenance system) in their casas, i am sure you wont have a problem in 5 to 10 yrs.
    Everest is an SUV while innova is just an mpv...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advice please on Ford Everest vs. toyota innova